What's new

Best SE razor for starting

The 1912 Gem, hands down. And not just a starter razor.

Len

Yes. In particular, and I can't give you a reason, but the Damaskeene gives me an outstanding shave.

The Open Comb MicroMatic is a close second.

The G bar is very mild. It gives a great shave, but the audible feedback from the other GEMS, is, in my opinion, missing.

Yes. In particular, and I can't give you a reason, but the Damaskeene gives me an outstanding shave.

The Open Comb MicroMatic is a close second.

The G bar is very mild. It gives a great shave, but the audible feedback from the other GEMS, is, in my opinion, missing.

+1 on the Damaskeene. I use the Open Comb model Damaskeene with excellent results. Particularly, none of the previous neck area irritation associated with the DE's formerly in the rotation--Merkur HD, Hoffritz Slant Bar--now gathering dust in the medicine cabinet.

Ditto the Damaskene. As to why it's magical, I think (pardon my repeating myself) it's the curved hood. Same with the Ever-Ready that says "Lift Here," which is also curved and gives about identical shaves. That's the only feature I can spot that distinguishes them from, say, the '12, with its largely flat hood. Every other difference is essentially stylistic, and I've seen no other SEs with curvature to the top (if you know of any, please spill).

Both of these SEs, imo, give results comparable to the best injector and (in my experience) are far superior to Micromatics, the more common 1912s and any later SE. I've not tried any earlier ones, though, like the Lather Catchers. Anyway, that curvature is the only reason I can think of to explain it.

Of course, the best razor will suck when paired with a poor blade.

PS Can anyone give me an exact model name - if there is one - for the Ever-Ready "Lift Here" SE?

Last edited:
Given that injectors are SE's I would add that lately I've been getting superb shaves from my PAL using a Wilkinson blade. Bizarre as it may sound, but I'm into my third week using the same blade and it's DFS every time.

Wow! :thumbup1:

I first tried the 1912 travel, because I'd heard so much about the MM being akin to shaving with a power planer. That said, I shave with my MM bullet tip more than the 1912. I really like the MM.

Top Bottom