What's new

Best scent in ROSE shaving cream?

Cyril R. Salter Wild Rose is my favorite. I like it better than TOBS and GFT. I haven't tried the Harris or any others.
Hi Doug57 and @never-stop-learning (know your are also a Cyril Salter fan ),

How strong is the rose scent from your Cyril R. Salter Wild Rose? Just used mine for the first time and found the Wild Rose scent to be fairly weak. Can smell the weak aroma in the jar but don't smell it at all in the lather while shaving. Unfortunate as it is a pleasant aroma. Also just received a Cyril Salter Veitver that delivers an really nice strong scent right from the jar. Have yet to shave with it.

Note the lather from the Cyril Salter Wild Rose was excellent. Slick, protective and easily generated with my synthetic brush. Very thirsty cream, added water to my brush around a half dozen times.

Texture of the Wild Rose Cream (in the jar prior to lathering) was less of a cream and more like a Proraso Croap while the Veitver has a much softer cream like consistency. What is the texture of your Cyril Salter soaps like when new? Interestingly the Veitver weighed in at 9.7 ounces (including the container) new, a full ounce more than the Wild Rose. Doubt if the Wild Rose was old stock, Connaught was out-of-stock until just before I ordered. Just interesting how the Wild Rose has a much dryer and firmer texture than the Veitver given the identical ingredients outside the scent components. Is this similar to your experience?

Will post a separate review of the two creams together once I shave with the Veitver and use the Wild Rose again.

How strong is the rose scent from your Cyril R. Salter Wild Rose? Just used mine for the first time and found the Wild Rose scent to be fairly weak. Can smell the weak aroma in the jar but don't smell it at all in the lather while shaving. Unfortunate as it is a pleasant aroma. Also just received a Cyril Salter Veitver that delivers an really nice strong scent right from the jar. Have yet to shave with it.

Note the lather from the Cyril Salter Wild Rose was excellent. Slick, protective and easily generated with my synthetic brush. Very thirsty cream, added water to my brush around a half dozen times.

Texture of the Wild Rose Cream (in the jar prior to lathering) was less of a cream and more like a Proraso Croap while the Veitver has a much softer cream like consistency. What is the texture of your Cyril Salter soaps like when new? Interestingly the Veitver weighed in at 9.7 ounces (including the container) new, a full ounce more than the Wild Rose. Doubt if the Wild Rose was old stock, Connaught was out-of-stock until just before I ordered. Just interesting how the Wild Rose has a much dryer and firmer texture than the Veitver given the identical ingredients outside the scent components. Is this similar to your experience?

Will post a separate review of the two creams together once I shave with the Veitver and use the Wild Rose again.
I find the Wild Rose scent to be a mild and somewhat dusty, dry rose. I get the scent from the lather as well as from the jar. I also have the French Vetiver. That one is an earthy, rooty scent that might not be for everybody. You better like your Vetiver in your face. I love it. Both of my creams have the consistency that you described for your Wild Rose - more of a croap. They both perform quite well for me. It's easy to build a nice, slick lather for shaving with any type of razor. They do need a lot of water for a cream.

Enjoy!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

I find the Wild Rose scent to be a mild and somewhat dusty, dry rose. I get the scent from the lather as well as from the jar. I also have the French Vetiver. That one is an earthy, rooty scent that might not be for everybody. You better like your Vetiver in your face. I love it. Both of my creams have the consistency that you described for your Wild Rose - more of a croap. They both perform quite well for me. It's easy to build a nice, slick lather for shaving with any type of razor. They do need a lot of water for a cream.

Enjoy!
I also find the Rose to be mild in scent.

All of my CRS Tub Creams feel like they are between a croap and a cream, closer to a croap.

Enjoy!
The French Vetiver smells like a swamp fire to me.

I pulled out the Ariana & Evans Amber Rose and used it today. It has a strong scent of Bulgarian Rose, with a hint of tobacco for smoke and some incense. It is good smelling stuff. This soap in no way smells feminine. It is neutral in that regard, smelling more like Bulgarian Rose incense used in church. It is one of those rare soaps that smell like advertised. The slickness is really top notch, too. It was an enjoyable shave.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have a sample on the way from Connaught, looking forward to trying it. Can you describe the scent?
Hmmm well that’s difficult for me but it’s definitely a rose scent but not what I would call perfume type or overly floral as in something I wouldn’t like. It sort of captures the scent of an actual rose petal.
The cream itself is fantastic in terms of consistency and I get great effortless lather. Hope you like it.

GFT Rose: a sweet, perfume-type floral, with a more pronounced scent.

CRS Rose: a very faint and dry scent, a non-perfume-type woody/floral.

I realize this thread is about cream and rose.

I bought MdC Rose about a year ago and have now come full circle back to MdC Fougere. MdC only says that their Fougere scent is made from 12 essential oils to which my nose says that 1 of the 12 is rose. I prefer getting my rose from this blend rather than straight up.

Time to bring this thread back to life.

I bought TOBS Rose cream for my wife and teenage daughter, but of course I had to try it on myself too.
Tonight was the second time I tried it and I love this cream.
The lather is thick and soft, the glide and slickness is incredible, and the post shave is outstanding.

What strikes me the most is that after I shave, my skin feels as moisturized as after I wash myself with a genuine laurel soap, no need for an after shave or balm.

Do all TOBS creams/soaps have the same nice post shave qualities?

IMG_0586.jpeg

Ditto on the ETHOS Rosa @Edinburgh. I would add Los Jabones de Joserra Black Rose. IMO both of these soaps deliver delightful and convincing rose fragrances combined with top shelf performance.

2023-06-29N sotd.jpeg

Time to bring this thread back to life.

I bought TOBS Rose cream for my wife and teenage daughter, but of course I had to try it on myself too.
Tonight was the second time I tried it and I love this cream.
The lather is thick and soft, the glide and slickness is incredible, and the post shave is outstanding.

What strikes me the most is that after I shave, my skin feels as moisturized as after I wash myself with a genuine laurel soap, no need for an after shave or balm.

Do all TOBS creams/soaps have the same nice post shave qualities?

I recently bought my first tub of TOBS - the lavender. Excellent cream. Having now used both TOBS and Truefitt & Hill, I cannot explain why people are willing to pay three times as much as TOBS for the Truefitt & Hill.

Top Bottom