What's new

Best Russian blade?

Had my 5th shave on the same Nacet blade today. This blade has been outstanding: sharp, smooth and efficient. The next blade in my sampler is the GSB.

Tried a GSB last night. It was okay. I actually got a lot of irritation but that's probably also due to trying cold water shaving for the first time at the same time. Will try again tonight :)

Second shave with the GSB, done normally with warm water, led to very noticeable tugging towards the end. Not good.

I'm used to Feather and Personna shaves so this surprised me - I was expecting a GSB to last four or five at least.

I'll load up another and see how it does. Could be a bad blade. I *did* end up with a 2-pass DFS (my usual goal) so not all is lost.

Went back to a Feather after the GSB and... night and day. Hmm. Maybe it was just a bum blade.

Will try a PolSilver next.

Hey, got an excellent shave from one of the asymmetrical Voskhods tonight. As good as I have had with any blade, and the short bevel side was fine. Very nice.

Hey, the PolSilvers are pretty good! Pleasantly surprised by them. They felt tuggy at first but ended up giving a two-pass BBS. First BBS I've had from the Russian blades I bought, actually, though the last Voskhod came close. Another Voskhod up next I think.

Working on another Voskhod and I like it. A little too mild for my beard but not overly so, and I end up with a decent shave. I'll be picking up some more to put into rotation.

Best Bargain: Voskhod - less than $10/100 on ebay shipped from Russia and very close, smooth shaves.
Closest Shave: GSB - but it comes with some burn for me.
Favorite: Polsilver - The combination of close & smooth is a hit! No burn, and just a tad shy of GSB for closeness. Would easily be my one & only if the Voskhods weren't so stinking cheap right now.

So far, the Gillette Rubie is my favorite, and I have a very high opinion of them. I've tried Voshkod, Rapira Super, Rapira Platinum Lux, Sputnik, Ladas, GSB, Gillette 7 o'Clock Blue (discontinued), and I imagine a couple others that don't come to mind at the moment. The only one I did not much care for was Sputnik.

I quite like the Rapira Platinums!

where do you buy Gillette Rubie ?

Top Bottom