What's new

Best performing soap?

I'm surprised to see Tabac mentioned more than anything else. It is my favourite soap too, so far, but I expected more fancy products to show up ;-).

Tabac is going to come up quite often going forward especially if they actually follow through with removing the tallow formulation from the market as rumoured. It's sold out everywhere right now.

yes Tabac is a great performer, but beware of the scent. it is a disagreeable aroma for summer weather and should only be used in fall/winter.... the scent is not too far off from 'elderly lady'. a better alternative would be MWF as it has similar performance but the scent is MUCH better (MWF also is better utilized in fall/winter instead of summer).

if you want some great performers that smell good all year round, i recommend:

speick shave stick
proraso green (super formula)
palmolive shave stick

all 3 are very affordable.

Mine are:

MWF
Tabac
Cella
Saponeficio Varesino (any)
Haslinger sheep (old, I haven't tried the new one)

I understand why you might think that. But you have to understand the psychology of purchases. I've discovered there is an extremely tenuous relationship between cost and quality of just about any shave product. The graph below illustrates this. Imagine it is labeled price on the horizontal axis, and "performance" or some such on the vertical.

proxy.php

Add to this the fact that if we spend 4-5 times more money on a product, and we don't feel it performs much, much better than less expensive products, then we feel, well, unwise might be a good word. Maybe even a little bit foolish. Behavioral economics posits that we will attribute more superior performance to a product than it perhaps actually exhibits simply to avoid the cognitive dissonance that results from spending a lot of money on a slightly better product. Or a product that is not better at all, as is often demonstrated in blind vodka testing.

I suspect what you mean by "fancy products" involves cost. Are Martin de Candre, Santa Maria Novella, and Acqua Di Parma, costing $10-$14 per ounce really that much better than Cella or Proraso at $1-2 per ounce? It's hard to say, partly because we cannot judge anyone else's perceptions of things like slickness, denseness, and perhaps most importantly, scent. But to deny that cost affects, or colors our perception is unrealistic. They probably are "better" but that hardly means their prices are justified to most of us.

There are many famous studies of blind taste testings of Vodka where Smirnoff does just as well as brands costing two or three times as much. Most people really cannot tell the difference between Smirnoff and Kettle One or Gray Goose ... but they'll swear they can on a stack of bibles. When you blind test their favorite in a group most cannot identify it.

And, after one gets beyond the novelty of wet shaving, after doing it for 5 or 10 years or even longer, performance will out. That's why there are so many enduring classics, like Tabac, Cella, La Toja, Proraso, etcetera, which do not cost a lot of money. How else do you explain the enduring love for Arko, for Pete's sake? Eventually experienced shavers use what works and feels best and price stops affecting their perception so much.

I once did a thread here comparing Proraso green to SMN after the last reformulation of Proraso (about 2012 IIRC). Could I tell a difference? Maybe. Maybe. Can others tell the difference? I'm quite certain they can. I even did a side/side shave with half my face with each product. I came to the conclusion that I'd be nuts to buy SMN. YMMV, of course.

Anyway, a little bahavioral economics and psychology for you as to why there are so many immensely popular yet inexpensive products. It's because they work!
The law of diminishing returns... I think it works for razors also, I wonder if the performance of a Fatip open comb is so much worse than a Rex adjustable...

Top Bottom