What's new

Best handle size for face lathering?

As a face latherer I've been getting unsatisfied with longer and heavier handles to the point where I sawed off the bottom of my Yaqi Timber Wolf brush to make it 52mm and 93g instead of 67mm and 115g. Turned out a really nice size - much better feel in the hand. So I'm curious as to what size and weight handles are the "happy medium' for all you face latherers. Here's a selection to choose from:

Simpsons Chubby 2 - 44mm
Yaqi Sagrada Familia - 48mm
Razorock Big Bruce - 51mm
Muhle 35K252 - 51mm
Yaqi Moka Express - 52mm
Razorock Beehive - 57mm

What's perfect for you? Please post pics as well - we love pics!

A38464C3-89E9-4ECB-866F-897F4C0F9CD9.jpeg

These are the 4 I’m currently using.

Maggard’s on the left....this thing is great, a tad floppy though. 26mm.

Turn N Shave Fanchurian....this one is perfect for me right now. 24mm.

Razorock Bruce....if I’m going synthetic this is my main choice. 24mm.

Last is a RR 24 barrel....this is about as small as I like to get. If I’m in a hurry and using a soap I’m completely familiar with this is my grab. 24mm.

Not really a fan of anything bigger or smaller. These are pretty much right in line with what I most like to use.

Last edited:
I am partial to the handle sizes for face lathering for the following:
  • Simpson Duke 2 or 3
  • Simpson Chubby 2
  • Omega 10066

I am partial to the handle sizes for face lathering for the following:
  • Simpson Duke 2 or 3
  • Simpson Chubby 2
  • Omega 10066

Height of handle
  • Simpson Duke 2 or 3 - 47mm
  • Simpson Chubby 2 - 44mm
  • Omega 10066 - 50mm
Definitely on the smaller side, but nice for face lathering.

While I appreciate both long and short handles, I find that a long handle has advantages for face lathering because the additonal leverage increases brush speed. That helps to develop a better lather, more quickly. I have found this particularly true when back and forth motions of the brush are used, instead of swirling rotational motions.

The handle is crucial for me. I have an Omega and a Semogue that have fantastic knots, but the handle is too small or uncomfortable and as a result I never use them.

Here are some really excellent handles that I have:
proxy.php

Semogue Owner's club
In addition to having a superb knot, the handle on this is excellent. It's smaller than I normally go for, but it just feels great in the hand.

proxy.php

Omega Pro
This is a relatively large handle, but it's light and easy to grip. I have two fairly expensive travel brushes, including a Simpson Major Super, and I've ditched the space-saving brushes and now carry this Omega in my travel bag. When I'm away from home I don't want to settle with a brush that has a less-than ideal handle and this Omega always makes me smile. Seriously, everyone needs to try out this brush. It's only $10 and is a true classic. I will never not have an Omega Pro.

Similarly:
proxy.php

Zenith B28
This handle is a copy of the Omega Pro, only instead of being hollow plastic it is solid copper. It's a heavy handle with a fantastic knot that feels great in the hand. For me it's too heavy in the hand for bowl lathering. Lucky for me I hate bowl lathering, because it's great in the face.

Finally:
proxy.php

Simson Tulip 2
This is the best handle on any badger brush I've tried. I had to include this picture (sorry for the watermark) because when I looked up Simpson Tulip 2 in Google one of the first images is mine from a review I wrote in 2006. I can't even access that photobucket account any more, but that's my hand and brush in that photo.
I've had several brushes that have copied that Tulip shape, but if the dimensions are off just a tad then the shape goes from being perfect to not working at all. The T2 is my favorite brush of all. Sadly that beautiful brush you see has taken several falls and has a huge crack in it. I'm working with a woodworker to create a wooden handle in the same shape and transfer the knot. When I do that I'll post pictures.

IMG_20190411_163713648.jpg

I only face lather, and my most used handles range from 57mm(black palm by Graydog) - 97mm(old spice). I prefer the "barber" style handles, so around 80mm(Graydog Pro 10098) is the norm for me.

I don't think there is a "best". I think it's more of a "what you prefer". I just started exclusively face lathering a couple months back and use everything from a Rubberset 200-5 with 30mm knot to my Ever Ready 200cc with 16mm. I have a bunch in between those sizes and love using all for face lathering.

IMG_1849.JPG

I like tall handles as well...this one is about 67mm....perfect for face lathering
without getting any lather on the fingers

proxy.php

@charliemilano would you be kind enough to post some more pictures where 45mm tall handle can be seen standing next to some other popular handle?
I am on fence about this handle shape but it is difficult to commit without seeing a visual comparison of height. I am afraid 45mm height is bit short for my liking and my only reference is height of a Semogue 620 at 43mm which i feel too short.

Here's two handles for comparison -
Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24x53mm, height 48mm, 75g
Yaqi Moka Express 24x52mm, height 54mm, 91g

Sagrada+Moka.jpg

I face lather and prefer smaller/mid-size badgers.

Since you asked about the Chubby 2, I must say that for me it is too large. I much prefer the Chubby 1. Other Simpsons that will never leave my den include the Duke 2, Classic 2, Tulip 2, 57 and Wee Scot!! :a29:

@charliemilano would you be kind enough to post some more pictures where 45mm tall handle can be seen standing next to some other popular handle?
I am on fence about this handle shape but it is difficult to commit without seeing a visual comparison of height. I am afraid 45mm height is bit short for my liking and my only reference is height of a Semogue 620 at 43mm which i feel too short.

Here's a Chubby 2, Shavemac 24/52 and Chubby 1... It's like the Shavemac is a Chubby 1.5 :)

IMG_1604.JPG

IMG_1606.JPG

Last edited:
When I face lather, I prefer a dense 16mm-20mm, more 16-18, but take a Duke 1 from time to time. If the handle has any length to it, I prefer a thin handle without a wide base over a thick handle, less barber handle and more like this:
long handle brushes.jpg

18mm, 16mm, 18mm, 16mm.

Of course, the Wee Scot and the early 200CC by Ever Ready are great for the small handle option.

Top Bottom