0E3B1A93-D0EB-4DAF-9CE3-5D45148CF99D.jpeg
8CBADB33-3250-4DFD-B2D0-5521C1690A57.jpeg
9509CDB0-420C-4F03-A13D-A03A1D032E3B.jpeg
9CFBD24B-9BDD-4ED5-85AB-5BD2E494AB62.jpeg
DB3199C2-9202-4B41-BC01-C77875426FA1.jpeg
E194F922-C88D-4D33-8048-0658885813D8.jpeg
BCF2C739-091C-41A3-B11C-1D330438D547.jpeg
A2DF78CA-1BB9-4A3F-B1A7-E35926BD6B96.jpeg

Hi folks! I haven’t seen any reactions to natural hair on Yaqi brushes, any one else have experiences w/ that? I received a 26mm 2 band badger Yaqi Moka Express a couple days ago and I’m impressed. But I also liked the movie Water World sooo......

Anyway! I was staying away from Yaqi for a long while because the hype just seemed to be popping up everywhere, but I wasn’t all that impressed w/ the handles and I’m not a fan of tuxedo knots - when I saw the moka express synthetic in action in a YouTube video and though, had to check it out - well, only the larger 26mm was available in badger, not synthetic, but figured what the hell, I don’t have a badger brush that big and the handle is unlike any other that I own, or have seen in stores or online.

Pros: the Octogonal shape made holding the brush while loading and lathering more comfortable than the 26mm RazoRock Monster synthetic which is the closest size comparison I have for it.
Out of the box it lathered up a storm, (tested it with the Proraso cream, a Mama Bear glycerin puck, and a RazoRock triple milled puck).
Across the board foamy creaminess with the peaks of Mount Everest. Splays nicely on the face without being too much and has the backbone (and hairstyle) of Margaret Thatcher!
3 days of constant breaking in and only ever lost one single hair (which wasn’t the full length of the knot so that hair wasn’t attached to the base to begin with)

Cons: the octagon points near the knot might clink against your bowl more than you like. First thing I noticed when I opened the box was a very strong initial smell of the tanning process - the cause of that “wet dog” smell is strong with this one. But after 3 days of breaking it in and the smell is 95% gone. (To break it in I shook it in water with some laundry detergent, rinsed, lathered it up and let it sit full of lather until bed time, rinsed out relathered and let it sit like that overnight. Next morning I rinsed it out, relathered, and let it sit until bedtime - repeated this process for 3 days and nights. And now even if I lay my nostrils right on the hairs all I smell is fresh linen - but to this I should add that I’ve found that Proraso Green has been the best breaking in soap to tackle natural hair knots.)

This looks big and cushy but remains a little scrubby, which will make people who like the extra exfoliation happy, maybe not those who want to lather w/ a soft baby kitten.

In the pics I have it next to a 24mm silvertip badger brush (which still to this day sheds 6 to 12 hairs every time I use it!) and the Omega Pro (which to be honest, I enjoy using more than the Yaqi). And I’ve also put it next to the 26mm synthetic Monster so you can see that comparison. The Monster is softer on the face for sure, but the Yaqi badger has given me a little better quality lather.

Anywho, pics!

Great review, I'm still waiting for my Yaqi to arrive. I'm personally not a big fan of boar brushes, but mine is only a few weeks old, I still need to see how the brush performs once entirely broken, which may take a while.

I have not used any Yaqi brushes, but I think the handles look really nice for the price, and I too liked Waterworld.

Great review, I'm still waiting for my Yaqi to arrive. I'm personally not a big fan of boar brushes, but mine is only a few weeks old, I still need to see how the brush performs once entirely broken, which may take a while.

Thanks! The majority of my wetshaving years have been with badger, but that boar might grow on you, I stayed away from boar for a long time because I imagined it’d be like shaving w/ a bundle of hay - which is not the case at all and now one of my faves to use.

Thanks for the nice review and photos. I was considering the same handle when ordering their synthetics, which I am patiently waiting to arrive in the mail. I am so used to Amazon Prime 2 day shipping. It makes everything slower painful.

Thanks! The majority of my wetshaving years have been with badger, but that boar might grow on you, I stayed away from boar for a long time because I imagined it’d be like shaving w/ a bundle of hay - which is not the case at all and now one of my faves to use.

I agree with you on the fell of the boar brushes, I like how they feel, just not how much soap is required. I feel like I have to reload the brush for every pass. I got 2 boar brushes and they both eat lather for breakfast, lunch and supper with a snack in between each...lol.

Thanks for the nice review and photos. I was considering the same handle when ordering their synthetics, which I am patiently waiting to arrive in the mail. I am so used to Amazon Prime 2 day shipping. It makes everything slower painful.
Amazon Prime has spoiled us. But also good to support the wet shaving sites out there - even if I just start a new shopping cart every time I check on an order status update - just to ease my anticipation.

View attachment 903605 View attachment 903606 View attachment 903607 View attachment 903608 View attachment 903609 View attachment 903610 View attachment 903611 View attachment 903612
Hi folks! I haven’t seen any reactions to natural hair on Yaqi brushes, any one else have experiences w/ that? I received a 26mm 2 band badger Yaqi Moka Express a couple days ago and I’m impressed. But I also liked the movie Water World sooo......

Anyway! I was staying away from Yaqi for a long while because the hype just seemed to be popping up everywhere, but I wasn’t all that impressed w/ the handles and I’m not a fan of tuxedo knots - when I saw the moka express synthetic in action in a YouTube video and though, had to check it out - well, only the larger 26mm was available in badger, not synthetic, but figured what the hell, I don’t have a badger brush that big and the handle is unlike any other that I own, or have seen in stores or online.

Pros: the Octogonal shape made holding the brush while loading and lathering more comfortable than the 26mm RazoRock Monster synthetic which is the closest size comparison I have for it.
Out of the box it lathered up a storm, (tested it with the Proraso cream, a Mama Bear glycerin puck, and a RazoRock triple milled puck).
Across the board foamy creaminess with the peaks of Mount Everest. Splays nicely on the face without being too much and has the backbone (and hairstyle) of Margaret Thatcher!
3 days of constant breaking in and only ever lost one single hair (which wasn’t the full length of the knot so that hair wasn’t attached to the base to begin with)

Cons: the octagon points near the knot might clink against your bowl more than you like. First thing I noticed when I opened the box was a very strong initial smell of the tanning process - the cause of that “wet dog” smell is strong with this one. But after 3 days of breaking it in and the smell is 95% gone. (To break it in I shook it in water with some laundry detergent, rinsed, lathered it up and let it sit full of lather until bed time, rinsed out relathered and let it sit like that overnight. Next morning I rinsed it out, relathered, and let it sit until bedtime - repeated this process for 3 days and nights. And now even if I lay my nostrils right on the hairs all I smell is fresh linen - but to this I should add that I’ve found that Proraso Green has been the best breaking in soap to tackle natural hair knots.)

This looks big and cushy but remains a little scrubby, which will make people who like the extra exfoliation happy, maybe not those who want to lather w/ a soft baby kitten.

In the pics I have it next to a 24mm silvertip badger brush (which still to this day sheds 6 to 12 hairs every time I use it!) and the Omega Pro (which to be honest, I enjoy using more than the Yaqi). And I’ve also put it next to the 26mm synthetic Monster so you can see that comparison. The Monster is softer on the face for sure, but the Yaqi badger has given me a little better quality lather.

Anywho, pics!

I was checking those out earlier today, thanks for the review.

Ive had 2 Yaqi natural hair brushes: 1 2-band badger and another in boar. The badger was a wonderful brush, very soft and densly packed. The boar was a good one too, very scrubby.

Top Bottom