What's new

Experience with Yaqi 26mm 2 band badger

It got to where I had too many brushes and thinned the herd.

That's kind of where I'm at now. I need to either get rid of a few or re-knot the handles. I just moved two brushes to my "unused gear" box. That's where most of my DEs, beard oils & balms and back up software live.

That's kind of where I'm at now. I need to either get rid of a few or re-knot the handles. I just moved two brushes to my "unused gear" box. That's where most of my DEs, beard oils & balms and back up software live.
Yeah, I literally had like 15 brushes at one point in time. Yaqi brushes are so cheap that before I knew it, I had gotten a bit carried away and had too many. Now, I have 8 of their brushes: various size synthetics and its probably still enough brushes to last the rest of my life.

After clearing out the never or rarely used brushes, I have: 2 badgers, 2 boars and 1 horse (with one more inbound). I do plan on ordering a few more within the next few weeks though - that's really why I had to clear out the excess! :001_tongu

I'm definitely getting the Mew Brown Moka Express, possibly the "violet" handled Timber Wolf at the same time but I might wait on that one. I'm also going to try a Mondial boar as soon as the budget will permit and, thanks to a recent PM with a knowledgeable member, the Zenith 2 band Manchurian is now on my wishlist... so much for being a minimalist!

After clearing out the never or rarely used brushes, I have: 2 badgers, 2 boars and 1 horse (with one more inbound). I do plan on ordering a few more within the next few weeks though - that's really why I had to clear out the excess! :001_tongu

I'm definitely getting the Mew Brown Moka Express, possibly the "violet" handled Timber Wolf at the same time but I might wait on that one. I'm also going to try a Mondial boar as soon as the budget will permit and, thanks to a recent PM with a knowledgeable member, the Zenith 2 band Manchurian is now on my wishlist... so much for being a minimalist!

Well, I mean it is obvious that you need two synths, just to balance thing out. Then a boar to try, a badger to balance, and a horse, and, . . . oh, that looks great over there too :)

Actually, I really like the boar and horse brushes. My first badger was a Shavemac Pure, plenty of scrub and scritch. The boars are nice and scrubby like the pure badger and the horse hits a perfect middle ground between boar and badger.

I like the feel of the bristles on my Stirling Plissoft but the glue bump is too high and kills it for me. I'd consider another Plissoft brush if I knew the glue bump was going to be more reasonable. It really is amazing how far synths have come in the last few years. And yes, I'll end up with at least two synths, it's just a matter of deciding which brushes to buy first.

Is this Yaqi 26mm 2 band similar or better than the Stirling 24mm fan brush?

Better I believe. I don't like the fan brushes they hold awkwardly the lather and I don't like the shape. My thoughts only of course. Sorry to the fan shape fans!

View attachment 903605 View attachment 903606 View attachment 903607 View attachment 903608 View attachment 903609 View attachment 903610 View attachment 903611 View attachment 903612
Hi folks! I haven’t seen any reactions to natural hair on Yaqi brushes, any one else have experiences w/ that? I received a 26mm 2 band badger Yaqi Moka Express a couple days ago and I’m impressed. But I also liked the movie Water World sooo......

Anyway! I was staying away from Yaqi for a long while because the hype just seemed to be popping up everywhere, but I wasn’t all that impressed w/ the handles and I’m not a fan of tuxedo knots - when I saw the moka express synthetic in action in a YouTube video and though, had to check it out - well, only the larger 26mm was available in badger, not synthetic, but figured what the hell, I don’t have a badger brush that big and the handle is unlike any other that I own, or have seen in stores or online.

Pros: the Octogonal shape made holding the brush while loading and lathering more comfortable than the 26mm RazoRock Monster synthetic which is the closest size comparison I have for it.
Out of the box it lathered up a storm, (tested it with the Proraso cream, a Mama Bear glycerin puck, and a RazoRock triple milled puck).
Across the board foamy creaminess with the peaks of Mount Everest. Splays nicely on the face without being too much and has the backbone (and hairstyle) of Margaret Thatcher!
3 days of constant breaking in and only ever lost one single hair (which wasn’t the full length of the knot so that hair wasn’t attached to the base to begin with)

Cons: the octagon points near the knot might clink against your bowl more than you like. First thing I noticed when I opened the box was a very strong initial smell of the tanning process - the cause of that “wet dog” smell is strong with this one. But after 3 days of breaking it in and the smell is 95% gone. (To break it in I shook it in water with some laundry detergent, rinsed, lathered it up and let it sit full of lather until bed time, rinsed out relathered and let it sit like that overnight. Next morning I rinsed it out, relathered, and let it sit until bedtime - repeated this process for 3 days and nights. And now even if I lay my nostrils right on the hairs all I smell is fresh linen - but to this I should add that I’ve found that Proraso Green has been the best breaking in soap to tackle natural hair knots.)

This looks big and cushy but remains a little scrubby, which will make people who like the extra exfoliation happy, maybe not those who want to lather w/ a soft baby kitten.

In the pics I have it next to a 24mm silvertip badger brush (which still to this day sheds 6 to 12 hairs every time I use it!) and the Omega Pro (which to be honest, I enjoy using more than the Yaqi). And I’ve also put it next to the 26mm synthetic Monster so you can see that comparison. The Monster is softer on the face for sure, but the Yaqi badger has given me a little better quality lather.

Anywho, pics!
My two Yaqi brushes are hexagonal, not octagonal, was I shortchanged?

I got a 26mm Zenith Manchurian, the tips are soft, but the brush is dense and stiff, maybe too much so. I don't use it often, don't see the point, I prefer other brushes with more "give". By the way, the Zenith logo painted on the handle wore off really quick....

Yeah, I literally had like 15 brushes at one point in time. Yaqi brushes are so cheap that before I knew it, I had gotten a bit carried away and had too many. Now, I have 8 of their brushes: various size synthetics and its probably still enough brushes to last the rest of my life.

of the 15, do you have any shedding issues? are their QC good?
For synthetics, one should get a 26mm rather than a 24?

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's an awesome brush with a large handle, finally i found a handle to my liking.
I was underwhelmed with the synthetics by this brand, they are on the floppy side, but this one is a winner

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's an awesome brush with a large handle, finally i found a handle to my liking.
I was underwhelmed with the synthetics by this brand, they are on the floppy side, but this one is a winner

I did eventually order the Mew Brown Moka, it made it all the way from China only to have our Postman deliver it to the wrong address :censored:. I had a Stirling boar brush that was shedding badly so I ordered a 24mm Timberwolf knot (presumably Yaqi) from Maggard and set it deep in the Stirling handle, with a loft around 50 - 52mm. I like the results, little to no glue bump to kill the action, soft tips but with plenty of backbone for face lathering.

Does this Yaqi Moka 26 compete with the expensive big league brushes ?

I have a 23mm Manchurian Simpson and a 27mm Zenith. The loft on the Yaqi is taller so it feels larger. The Zenith is denser with a shorter loft and more backbone. The Zenith has a more controlled spread so it is really an every day brush. The Yaqi is awesomely large: large knot, large handle. For me it is great but not every day
As far as finish and attention to details, the Zenith is better.

My Simpson is smaller so its its not apples to apples, but suffice it to say that I am waiting for a Simpson to come out with a nice edition for a larger knot, that plain ivory is not doing it for me.
In short: Simpson have their own quality and way of doing things.

The most direct competition is Maseto. I have a 26mm silvertip bulb, 30mm silvertip fan and 30mm finest. My favorite is the 30mm silvertip and if I could have the maseto knot in a yaqi moka handle I would be really all set.

FYI this Yaqi Moka 2Band runs for 12€ on 29th of March.

I may get a second one, just is case..

I mean, 12???
That is a steal.

I just bought one on sale: 24MM Yaqi Mysterious Space Color Handle Silvertip Badger; 24mm Aqua Highmountain Silvertip Badger; and Yaqi 26mm Moka Express Two Band Badger. Fun times!

Top Bottom