What's new

best electric smoker? or other heat source for home use

After my trip to Texas, and some delicious Bar B Q, I have decided to investigate smokers for home use. I really want to cook slow, cooking temp around 200 degrees, and generate a good smoke for added flavor and texture. I figure that I will want to cook a long time say 6-10hrs. I figure that wood fuel would be ok if I wanted to constantly tend the fuel source, which I don't. Propane would be ok except that a home tank I'm told would only last about 6 hrs and is quite expensive fuel cost. Electric seems the way to go if I can find one that will allow me precise temp control and would create enough heat to make smoke and still cook slowly. I found one at a local Bar B Q store made by Traeger seen here, http://www.traegergrills.com/.
The Jr would fit my size needs, but the cost is $399 locally plus $18 /bag of peelets. A bit steep for an untried product. Plus to get precise tempcontrol you have to spend $899 for the Lil Tex Elite.

Does anyone have any better suggestion?

Mark

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Elton Brown, the Good Eats guy, uses a hotplate. He's had show where he has built a smoker out of a couple of plant pots and another show where he uses an army surplus box of some type.

Congratulations on your decision. Last summer, I started using my smoker regularly and I'm really enjoying it. I don't have any expertise with electric smokers, so I can't help you out with that. Good luck!

I've been smoking on a Traeger fo years; love it. I smoke any pork and beef at 240ish; below 225 degrees and I get concerned about spending too much time in the 'danger zone'. At 240ish, one bag of pellets will last me around 18 hours; I've insulated my smoker by draping an old saddle pad over it - seems to help.

There are lots a fans here of ceramic smokers (like Big Green Egg and Primos), and I've read that they can go 6-10 hours without refueling easily. Stumps makes outstanding smokers, but that may be more than what you're looking for.

For rock-bottom pricing on a smoker, I forget what people call it - something like Ugly Old Drum or something like that, where they make a well-working smoker from a 55 gallon barrel and a Weber kettle lid. Google them, some folks have created some great looking products using innovative ideas.

Whatever you end up with, good luck and happy smoking!

I have a large Big green egg, and it is awesome. If you stack the charcoal right and fill it a little more than the bowl holds, I can get mine to stay at 230 for over 15+ hours. The cost is high, around a grand though. Best grill I ever got!

I have friends up in the Yukon that use a Bradley Electric for all their game and more. They swear by it and use it a lot.

+1 for the alton brown idea, theres a episode where he uses a iron skillet on a electric heater, a carboard box and a couple of sticks to support a rack to smoke a chunk of salmon, if your intentions are towards cheap, home made is decent,

the electrical heating element (with some sort of power regulation) a skillet, and a tin/metal trash can (well cleaned or new prefered, but that depends on what flavours you like in your food), install a couple of supports inside to hold the racks and a small door for accesing the heat element,

I have a masterbuilt 7 in 1. Mine is about 15 years old. I would recommend the Stainless version over the standard. If it does not come with the stand to elevate it, I wold also get that. It puts the top cooking surface at the perfect height for a adult without bending over. FYI I use propane in mine

I've got the Traeger 075 and it is fantastic. I highly recommend getting the digital temp control. I set it at 250 for most things, but it will go down to 180 if you like. The pellets last for quite a while. I've smoked ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, roasts, etc. Never had a bad piece of meat off the Traeger.

Here are some pics showing some details of our Traeger

Firepot and "hotrod". The hotrod ignites the pellets.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here are some pics showing some details of our Traeger

Firepot and "hotrod". The hotrod ignites the pellets.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Looks good. i saw one like yours and almost bought the JR. The 2 things that held me back were the initial cost and the cost of the pellets. Perhaps in the long run it would have been better but time will tell.

Top Bottom