What's new

Offset Smoker - Opinions Please!

Thanks to all the guys chiming in and helping out Chris.:thumbup1:

Yes, many thanks for all of the thoughtful and considered responses.

I think Tom really hit the nail on the head RE: having a few different grills and smokers, each with a dedicated purpose, rather than trying to do everything with one huge rig.

Why is that? Is it the price, size or quality?

Sold the Horizon thinking I wanted to go with a unit easier to run. Now I wish I hadn't. Don't think the lang will be in my near future.

I think the reverse flow would be a more efficient design.

Last edited:
If you go to BBQ competitions you will find more and more of these showing up. The larger models with rotating racks is what is being used in competition but they make a smaller (i.e. home owner size) that uses stationary racks.

http://www.americanbarbecuesystems.com/Pit-Boss_Dimensions_Capacities.asp

Their smaller (if you can call a smoker that will handle 8 whole chickens small) can be had for under $1k if you don't want/need the big 10" wheels on it

http://www.americanbarbecuesystems.com/All-Star_Dimensions_Capacities.asp

they are offset smokers with firebox and chimney dampers as well as a firebox to smoker damper. More smoke control that you will get with many smokers which is why they are starting to be seen more and more in competitions where subtitle differences make the winner.

I'm still working on SWMBO for a pit boss but even I will agree with her that it has way too large of a capacity for just the two of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an old OK Joes offset, before they sold the name and made the cheap, thin stuff under that label now. It's comparable a Horizon or Yoder of similar size and it's awesome. My friend has a Yoder, much like the one you mentioned, and he loves it. I'm pretty sure his is a larger diameter, but I could be wrong. It's the same configuration, though. He uses it most often as a grille, and it works really well. If it works as well as my OK Joe, the temps are pretty even across the main smoke box...obviously hotter near the fire end. I rotate my ribs a few times during the cooking to balance things out. I'd say I move them every 2 hours, or so. You'll be out tending the fire, so it's not big deal to move a slab now and again.

i have a thin walled, propane column smoker that also works well, but it's a pain to keep at a steady, even temp when the weather is'nt just right. The thin steel really works against you with a winter wind.

Top Bottom