What's new

Best Cart Razor?

Currently? No idea. Last cartridges I bought were Trac 2s and I thought they were pretty good. Gillette doesn't sell the handles for Trac2s anymore though so you have to settle for after-markets.

NOTHING beats my Le Grelot 6/8" straights though

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Currently, Schick Hydro 3. Excellent cart.

In days gone by the Schick FX Diamond used to be my favorite.

The best cartridge system that's easy to find is the Trac II, followed very closely by the Sensor. Number one overall, but harder to find, is the very first cartridge system, the Wilkinson Bonded razor. It's simply outstanding.

http://connaughtshaving.com/wsfxd.html
Currently, Schick Hydro 3. Excellent cart.

In days gone by the Schick FX Diamond used to be my favorite.

You can still get Schick/Wilkinson fx diamond cartridges here and the tracer fx handles over
at razorsdirect. if you are interested in this route. Or if you Oldsaw were huntin for them

But I am another vote for the Wilkinson bonded. I see cartridges normally go on Ebay for about 30-40$ per 100. Just finding the handles can be a hunt sometimes.

Last edited:
I don't know about the "best," but the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power gives me GREAT shaves, every time (as long as the cartridge is new). I imagine Gillette spent some time and money developing it. They probably even intended for it to be good razor, not just a good marketing tool.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
i've always thought the sensor was the best. or sensor excel. i never bought in to the 3-4 blade systems. i tried them and they sucked in my book. always went back to the sensor. now i don't even own a cart razor

I would have to say the Trac II by far. Handles are plentiful on Ebay (I own a very nice Omega one, cost around $20), and aftermarket cartridges are available for next to nothing. The really good Wilkinson Sword carts can be had at Wal-mart for under $4 for a 10 pack, and both Family Dollar and Dollar General also sell their own brand of Trac II carts (both of which are made in Korea Dorco's). Their $2 for 10 at Family Dollar, and a $1.25 for 6 at Dollar General.

Gillette guard.

I guess I am just a single blade guy.

Of the multibladed carts I have the best memories of the Gillette Sensor, Wilkinson Protector and Wilkinson/Schick FX. (all twin blades) but it's too long ago since I used them and my knowledge and skills have improved too much over the past year to make a fair comparison to the stuff I use now. I can imagine I can have daily irritation free shaves with some of them now.

I would have to say the Trac II by far. Handles are plentiful on Ebay (I own a very nice Omega one, cost around $20), and aftermarket cartridges are available for next to nothing. The really good Wilkinson Sword carts can be had at Wal-mart for under $4 for a 10 pack, and both Family Dollar and Dollar General also sell their own brand of Trac II carts (both of which are made in Korea Dorco's). Their $2 for 10 at Family Dollar, and a $1.25 for 6 at Dollar General.
+1
The Wilkinson 2 blade equivelent to the Trac II carts sold at WalMart are the only cartridges I'll use.If you can find a Bump Stopper razor handle,the Trac II blades fit right on it.

I'd have to agree withHoosier. The Trac II looks like two double edge blades encased in plastic, and these blades are thicker and more substantial than the blades you see on modern multi-blade carts. I believe the WS Bonded Shaving System blades (NOS) are double edge blades that have been fashioned into shavette blades and encased in plastic.

The 2/3 blade Gillettes were good. 2 blade has the best price, and blades are good available but the razor it self is more difficult to get.

I used the Gillette Sensor for about ten years and loved it. If I had to go back to cartridges it would be the Trac 2 just because the replacement carts are so inexpensive.

I'd have to agree withHoosier. The Trac II looks like two double edge blades encased in plastic, and these blades are thicker and more substantial than the blades you see on modern multi-blade carts. I believe the WS Bonded Shaving System blades (NOS) are double edge blades that have been fashioned into shavette blades and encased in plastic.

The WS Bonded Razor is a single blade encased in a plastic housing, very sharp, smooth and long lasting.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here's an interesting ad, touting the fact that the WS Bonded system doesn't shave too close, an obvious reference to it's biggest competitor, the Trac II.

proxy.php

The WS Bonded Razor is a single blade encased in a plastic housing, very sharp, smooth and long lasting.

It's definitely good. I have a few packed away along with a disposable that I will probably ship ahead the next time I travel overseas. What I meant about the double edge thing is that it sort of looks like they split a regular DE blade in half, sliced the sides with a special die-cutting tool and then encased that in plastic.* The disposable version also appears to take the bonded (shaving system) blades--even though it is called a one piece razor on the packaging--since the cart pops out. Haven't tested this yet, but I think it's a match.

* But no, the blade is actually wider on the Bonded Shaving System carts.

I just compared it to the Trac II, which I also have, and the Wilkinson is substantially wider. That's kind of nice. The bonded blades will indeed slide into the disposable WS razor once the cart is popped out, but this requires a lot of care and delicate handling. Just tried it, and the carts are identical.

Last edited:
I have little experience with the older cartridge razors. I was 20 when I finally gave up my dispoables for a Mach 3 and thought that was a revelation. I have used various versions of the ProGlide and found it is a good razor but leaves me with more irritation and a few nicks now and then while the Mach 3 was always smooth every time.

An coworker of mine swore by the Sensor.

As for what JeffOlson wrote: I think it was in a Wall Street Journal article that I read that Gillette really does spend millions researching shaving and put a lot of R&D money into the Fusion because they really do want it to be the best shave of your life.

Top Bottom