What's new

Best brushes on the market today

I’ve bought high end silver tips but have settled on Yaqi synthetics believe it or not. Never lose hairs and soft. My favorites are the purple haze or the Ferrari.

I would never be without a Morris & Forndran 2xl or Style 1. They are easy to get through Brad Sears Shaveworks' website and they are shipped worldwide. Paladins are great, but they only ship to the USA. I also love Varlet and Wiborg, but they are not exactly "on the market." You can get Varlets once in a while if you know exactly when the drop will occur. Everyone should also have a Simpson's Chubby 2 Super. Shavemacs are also great. My personal preference from them would be a D01 Silvertip knot. Saponificio Varesino also makes some outstanding brushes.

Someone had a Facebook post that Brad Maggard aided in shipping a Dogwood Handcrafts handle knotted with a Declaration Grooming B8 knot. So, perhaps check in with him, if interested in something like that. I am sure it would not be hard to place a generous order fo compensate him for his time if he could facilitate.

The Super High Density two-band badger knots from Maggard Razors are fantastic. Although not guaranteed, most have "gel" tips. I have a 28mm knot, but it is so large, I wish I had gotten a 26mm. It is my most comfortable brush on the face, but as you might expect, it is a lather hog.

Paladin brushes are without a doubt the best brush you can buy today. Declaration handles are not even close to the same, generic shape that isn’t precise likes a CNC offers, poor polishing and finish. Shavemac offers some nice handles but they fall short in comparison and the polishing isn’t there either. Paladin offers hand tied knots , with the best handles in the business. I think of Wolfman style figment and polish when I think of Paladin.

Saponificio Varesino also has top notch brushes. If you want to have an artisan brush take a look at Dorian Crafts or Leonidam Brushes. See the picture attached for my new brush from Leonidam
proxy.php

Rooney (Heritage)/M&F, Simpsons Super 2 and 3 band, Thater 2-band finest. Shavemac D01 almost makes my list, but the one brush I tried years ago did not have soft enough tips for me.

But I have been out of the acquisition game since the explosion of available brushes. And my bias is toward over stuffed knots, backbone, super soft tips, and companies with history (rather than custom handles for example).

Paladin offers hand tied knots , with the best handles in the business. I think of Wolfman style figment and polish when I think of Paladin.
While I believe that all knots are hand-tied because I don't know of a machine that makes knots, Ken L., the owner of Paladin would not claim to offer hand-tied knots. He is up front in saying that all of his knots come from a number of suppliers in China. Regardless, I have had a bunch of Paladins, and the knots have all been excellent and as good as any brand available, hand-tied in house or not. You will never get a bad knot from Paladin. I do agree that they have the nicest handles made.

Rooney (Heritage)/M&F, Simpsons Super 2 and 3 band, Thater 2-band finest. Shavemac D01 almost makes my list, but the one brush I tried years ago did not have soft enough tips for me.

But I have been out of the acquisition game since the explosion of available brushes. And my bias is toward over stuffed knots, backbone, super soft tips, and companies with history (rather than custom handles for example).
If you want super soft tips check out Grizzly Bay for Fanchurian v4 knot, don't want his beautiful handle get just the knot

If you want super soft tips check out Grizzly Bay for Fanchurian v4 knot, don't want his beautiful handle get just the knot

Did I also mention I'm a big brush user? Almost all my brushes are Chubby 3 size :D. Got me thinking about it, though, and I haven't bought a brush in years

I agree with dfoulk, mostly. Varlet and Black Eagle tied for first place, Declaration next. The beautiful part about Declaration is that you can send in a handle for knotting instead of anxiously trying to catch a brush drop. A Declaration B6 is pretty tough to beat.

I agree with dfoulk, mostly. Varlet and Black Eagle tied for first place, Declaration next. The beautiful part about Declaration is that you can send in a handle for knotting instead of anxiously trying to catch a brush drop. A Declaration B6 is pretty tough to beat.
So what are differences between different knots? Of course the diameter if different but otherwise. I've noticed that for example my Plisson is softer and it has less backbone compared to Muhle silvertip brush and the shape is different as well.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1572539311126.png

Doesn't matter to me what you buy, but I'd buy for myself two or three or four Zenith Manchurians.

1572539416421.png

I don't have the ones above. Alas...

Two.Zenith.Manchurians.1-5-19.640.JPG

These are the only two Manchurians I have. I love both of them. I would love to have the two others pictured above (and a couple not pictured for that matter). Not that I don't have many other very nice brushes but these are great knots. The copper is my favorite brush.

It's your money and it will be your brush. The main thing is to suit yourself. My Zenith Manchurians cured my BAD. I have since purchased one other fairly expensive brush and wish I'd spent that money on another Zenith Manchurian (or maybe a Zenith silvertip).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom