What's new

Best brushes on the market today

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and have been wet shaving for about ten years now. I've used safety razor set by Muhle (silver tip brush), straight razor by AoS and occasionally badger brush made by Plisson. Now I'm planning to add a top quality brush to my collection and I'd like to ask what are the makers of the best brushes available on the market today? I would prefer artisanal makers but I do live in Europe and if I've understood correctly many US brush makers (Declaration Grooming for example) do not send brushes to EU? Apparently Plisson and Simpson's are still top tier producers in Europe but what are the others?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and have been wet shaving for about ten years now. I've used safety razor set by Muhle (silver tip brush), straight razor by AoS and occasionally badger brush made by Plisson. Now I'm planning to add a top quality brush to my collection and I'd like to ask what are the makers of the best brushes available on the market today? I would prefer artisanal makers but I do live in Europe and if I've understood correctly many US brush makers (Declaration Grooming for example) do not send brushes to EU? Apparently Plisson and Simpson's are still top tier producers in Europe but what are the others?
In Europe, the best brushes are made by Shavemac from Germany.

You've got some fantastic brushes already, it seems.
Look at Shavemac (Germany), Pantarei (Italy). I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

Highest end, top quality, artisan, hand tied knots. My favorite are Black Eagle, Varlet and then Declaration Grooming in that order. I don't believe the later two will ship internationally and Black Eagle are impossible to get and rarely change hands.

If I were you I'd likely put up a WTB for a Declaration Brush and find someone that'll sell you theirs. The Declaration brushes do change hands from time to time and they are attainable on the secondary market. Sometimes even in unused condition. Ideal would be something B6 or older and skipping the B3 batch.

After these there I'd say there's a sizable gap before anything else comes to mind.

Thank you the answers. Black eagle shaving - apparently website is down. Does anyone know if they are out of business or is it just temporary thing? Definitely I'll check Shavemag and others suggestions. One more question - what are "ebonite" that many artisanal brush makers are using? My brushes have wooden handle so that term is new to me.

With Black Eagle they will probably do a drop maybe once a year and everything will be gone in about 60 seconds. Last time the website crashed several times causing issues. If those issues are resolved before the next drop it'll be a sixty second thing and they'll all be gone. Like I mentioned it's about impossible to get one.

Ebonite is just another material. Kinda like a cross between plastic and really hard rubber. They used to make bowling balls out of the stuff.

So I think I'll be forgetting Black Eagle Shaving and will aim to somewhere else. Maybe Shave mag or second hand Varlet/Declaration Grooming will be my thing. What are current opinions about Simpson's are they still making top quality brushes? I've understood that Plisson is propably overrated today.

So I think I'll be forgetting Black Eagle Shaving and will aim to somewhere else. Maybe Shave mag or second hand Varlet/Declaration Grooming will be my thing. What are current opinions about Simpson's are they still making top quality brushes? I've understood that Plisson is propably overrated today.

As a former Simpson fanboy, let me echo the Shavemac recommendation. *Great* knots and brushes and their prices are very reasonable vs Simpson or the US artisans. Compare a 2 band or Manchurian Simpson vs a custom order Shavemac and you will see.

Now, I'm a 9€ Omega kind of person, however if I had no budget concerns, I would also be taking a look at the Spanish artisan El Druida. You might want to add this to the great recommendations above. They make some impressive brushes:

1572448693049.png

I don't know if Grizzly Bay ships to Europe but his Fanchurian v4 knot is the softest badger I have tried. No i don't have badger brushes costing $200 and up and not interested in spending so much money. That knot unlike other badger knots needs just presoaking before each use but no break in needed. Maybe you can contact him and find out if anyone in Europe has this knot

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Zenith.Copper.Manchurian.3-6-19.jpeg

This Zenith Manchurian is my very favorite brush. Made in Sicily.

I'm not down on many of the more expensive brushes, but I can tell you this one would be very very hard to beat. There's an online vendor in Spain.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I don't know if Grizzly Bay ships to Europe but his Fanchurian v4 knot is the softest badger I have tried. No i don't have badger brushes costing $200 and up and not interested in spending so much money. That knot unlike other badger knots needs just presoaking before each use but no break in needed. Maybe you can contact him and find out if anyone in Europe has this knot
I actually contacted Grizzly Bay because the brushes look really nice. So I’m hoping that they ship overseas as well. Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately, the Fish and Wildlife Service impose huge fees on the export outside the U.S. brushes that contain badger hair. As a result, Paladin and Rudy Vey don't export brushes. Read this for a full explanation from Ken at Paladin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom