What's new

Best Boar Brush

You can get it on eBay, from TVBshaving (IIRC, TVB used to be a vendor here at B&B) or directly from Penellificio Pandolfo (even customized according to your preference).

I heard TVB is so-so for reliability? They never responded to message I sent about a custom brush. Penellificio Pandolfo seems to have a very nice website but no online shop?

Penellificio Pandolfo is brush manufacturer and Zenith is their brand. Obviously you need to contact them about options and pricing.

Regarding TVB, my experience with them is positive, although I haven't ordered custom but standard Zenith brush.

I have two models..1) Mondial 1908 Faux Ivory (this is a good quality plastic handle and is the cheapest). 2) Antica Barberia Brushed Aluminum (this is an antique look brushed aluminum handle and is the most expensive out of the three models they offer).
Is the Antica branded with Mondial on the aluminum handle? I hope so because I just bought one off eBay. I hope it’s real. Are fake brushes a thing? Haha.

Is the Antica branded with Mondial on the aluminum handle? I hope so because I just bought one off eBay. I hope it’s real. Are fake brushes a thing? Haha.
Have both the Antica Barbieria Colla, and the Antica Barberia Mondial. Notice the slight difference in spelling. The brushes are absolutely identical in every respect. Had I been sure of that fact I never would have purchased The Barbieria Colla. The rumor that Zenith produces the Barbieria Colla brush is a myth, I have Zenith boars and they are not the same. They are all excellent brushes, and blindfolded you would not be able to tell the difference. I hope you like your new brush.

My vote for the "Best Boar Brush"...Omega 48. In my opinion, which only matters to me, it lives alone at the top of the food chain. #2, Proraso Omega.

Have both the Antica Barbieria Colla, and the Antica Barberia Mondial. Notice the slight difference in spelling. The brushes are absolutely identical in every respect. Had I been sure of that fact I never would have purchased The Barbieria Colla. The rumor that Zenith produces the Barbieria Colla brush is a myth, I have Zenith boars and they are not the same. They are all excellent brushes, and blindfolded you would not be able to tell the difference. I hope you like your new brush.
Thanks Uncas, good info here.

I have a Zenith Big Scrubby.
It has a wide knot and a short loft, but the bristles are very fine so that short loft does not translate to a rigid backbone, it is a medium backbone brush, which makes me think their longer lofted brushes are floppy like the pro Omega brushes.

The quality of the bristles is very high and I do enjoy it. It also has a nice aluminum handle.
My only gripe is that it took a very long time to stop shedding. I emailed the ebay seller, Dr Michael, and he confirmed that it can be up to 30 uses before it stops shedding.

Another outstanding alternative is the Proraso Pro, which is a short lofted Omega Pro. I am not a barber and I don't choke a floppy knot with my fingertips - not going to happen. The Proraso is basically a "debugged" omega pro. It has a superb backbone, and once broken in, and it needs breaking in, the bristles are not treated or bleeched or whatever they do to them, it is simply THE BEST.

Last, Connaught now have a limited edition "Premium" Omega. Big knot, short loft in a nice lathe turned handle. It is very nice indeed, very similar bristles to the Zenith actually.

Honorary mention: Omega 11126. Smaller knot, nice wooden handle and excellent typical Omega knot.

What I like about Omega is that they don't try to make a boar brush that feels like Silvertip Badger.

P.s.
I have a few Semogue brushes: 1800,1305,620,830 and sold the SOC.
I find them floppy with a very wide splay that serves no point. Nice purdy handles though, but I hardly ever reach for them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom