What's new

Best Boar Brush

So there has been alot of buzz about the Semogue Boar brushes, and I like the looks of the 620 acrylic handle. I currently have an Omega 10048 Pro boar brush, as well as several badger brushes. I would like to get a boar with a shorter loft, along the lines of the VDH, but one that does not shed as much as that and that is better. I looked at the Omega Baby Pro, the one is looking like the one.

Any one have any suggestions as to what is the best boar brush? I know the Omega are highly regarded, so should I just stick with what I have?

Last edited:
I'm currently looking for a similar brush as you are. I was thinking about the vulfix boars because I heard they were really soft.

Well, I have the 1520 which is the painted wooden handle but has the exact same bristles as the 620.

I can tell you its the best brush I have ever used!!! I would not hesitate one bit...get it, get it now!!!

If true that boar brushes are best for soap...I will get one...but which one?:laugh: Again...only to use it with soap

I have the Semogue 1305 and the Vulvix #18. I like both of them quite a bit, but would give the 1305 a slight edge.

I have a 620, and it's very nice - and much smaller than your Pro. I also have an Omega 31064, which is very nice - and bigger than the 620, and little smaller than the Pro. The boar brushes that have been treated to look like badgers are softer at the start and don't smell as bad when wet. So, this cuts down on the break-in time. But, I would say that the pure boar brushes have more stiffness, which is great for making lather in a bowl. The treated brushes are probably better for face lathering - but you'd need to ask them.

I have an Omega 10066, which I highly recommend - WCS has them for about $10. They are bigger than the 620 but much smaller than the Pro. It's pure boar (untreated) so it takes some time to break in, but I'm really impressed with it. The handle is not as nice as the 620 or 31064. I had a Pro, but it was too big for me too.

I have a 1520 and 620 and found them great, although the tips are rather prickly and don't seem to soften that much. The LE is much softer.

I've been told by Leon of Vintage Scent that the equivalent handled unsketched brushes are softer, which seems to contradict common wisdom, but apparently it's due to a different hair grade used in those brushes.

My 49 and 10005 Omegas are much softer and less prickly than any Semogue I've tried (including the LE). The 10005 is an outstanding brush so far - very good backbone with soft tips - and cheap!!

John

Today's newsletter from Leon at Vintage Scent contained this note...

I have a new Semogue brush for you. Made with the same bristles as the
acclaimed 1305, this knot has an extra 10% more boar hair in a 22 mm
diameter on top of a vintage look, acrylic made handle. A great looking,
great performer brush!

Semogue 830

It's a beautiful brush, and should be a great performer!

Any one have any suggestions as to what is the best boar brush?

As with all good things in life there is no real answer to this question.

Omega's are great (but I don't like their handles too much) but on the other side of the boar spectrum Vulfix is doing a nice job too (with superb handles).

Main problem with boar; there is no classification so you can choose between 'boar', 'bristle' and 'boar bristle' while the differences between brands are pretty big.
One of the advantages of boar is their price tag so you might just order different brands and when coming from the same vendor shipment will be ok.

I like my Vero, il Ceppo, Omega's and Vulfix' but none is alike. Asking which is best is like asking which of your kids you love the most....:blush:

I really like My Semogue brushes, 1305 and 2009 LE. I do not think You will be dissapointed with the 620 or the new 830, which looks great. If You want a shorter loft the 620 would be the one. Love the handle look.

I have a new Semogue brush for you. Made with the same bristles as the
acclaimed 1305, this knot has an extra 10% more boar hair in a 22 mm
diameter on top of a vintage look, acrylic made handle. A great looking,
great performer brush!

Semogue 830

Oh, you've got to be kidding! I haven't broken in my LE, haven't used my 620, and had my brother abscond with my 1350. Yet here I am, ready to order the 830.

What about for face lathering creams? The Vulfix 2233 I mean.

I think it would be fine. I'm a soap only guy. It has very soft tips, so it's comfortable to use. The bristles just flex more than I like. The loft is longer than any of my other brushes.

-Andy

Last edited:
I have a 620, and it's very nice - and much smaller than your Pro. I also have an Omega 31064, which is very nice - and bigger than the 620, and little smaller than the Pro. The boar brushes that have been treated to look like badgers are softer at the start and don't smell as bad when wet. So, this cuts down on the break-in time. But, I would say that the pure boar brushes have more stiffness, which is great for making lather in a bowl. The treated brushes are probably better for face lathering - but you'd need to ask them.

I have an Omega 10066, which I highly recommend - WCS has them for about $10. They are bigger than the 620 but much smaller than the Pro. It's pure boar (untreated) so it takes some time to break in, but I'm really impressed with it. The handle is not as nice as the 620 or 31064. I had a Pro, but it was too big for me too.

Dave,

How does the 620 compare to the 31064, dimensions wise? I know the loft.knot numbers, but its not as easy to envision size diffs. in boar. I really like the 31064, and think significantly smaller would be a negative. Would you say they're comparable or different 'sizes' of brush altogether? Cheers.

One with best quality bristles that also has some nylon bristles mixed in.The boar hair is to evenly distribute natural oils,and the nylon is to keep some stiffness in the brush, because boar hairs are soft and very flexible.Since you have thick hair, definitely choose a brush that has some nylon in it,otherwise you'll wind up preening just the surface of your hair,and the bristles won't really penetrate to the scalp.

Top Bottom