What's new

Best Boar Brush

Over the past 35 years I have tried many brushes from Badger to synthetics and have settled on only using boar brushes exclusively due to the soaps that I use I find that the boar brushes are the only way to go when you are using triple milled or hard soaps. I must say that I have tried most of the Omega brushes along with the semogue brushes and a variety of brushes from various parts of the world within the 35 years and there are only 3 brands that I use exclusively and believe that no other manufacturer of boar brushes has come even close to the quality of these brands:-
1. Antica Barbbieria Colla
2. Zenith
3. Mondial
If you are a boar lover and if you don't mind paying a bit more for a quality brush then do yourself a favor and buy one of these brands...you will not be disappointed :)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have one of the new Thater brushes and it's very well made, but the SOC is still the king of bowl lathering. If you facelather you might like the Thater better.

I have one of the new Thater brushes and it's very well made, but the SOC is still the king of bowl lathering. If you facelather you might like the Thater better.

I was about to say the same thing. Except that the Thater may ultimately overtake the SOC in my den, as the Thater is still breaking in. After 20 shaves or so with the Thater, it still needs more work, but it’s getting close...

Over the past 35 years I have tried many brushes from Badger to synthetics and have settled on only using boar brushes exclusively due to the soaps that I use I find that the boar brushes are the only way to go when you are using triple milled or hard soaps. I must say that I have tried most of the Omega brushes along with the semogue brushes and a variety of brushes from various parts of the world within the 35 years and there are only 3 brands that I use exclusively and believe that no other manufacturer of boar brushes has come even close to the quality of these brands:-
2. Zenith
3. Mondial
If you are a boar lover and if you don't mind paying a bit more for a quality brush then do yourself a favor and buy one of these brands...you will not be disappointed :)
I agree with your three choices but I would also add the thater brush to that list

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. Zenith
3. Mondial

Since you have experience with all 3 of those brands, can you confirm if the ABC brush is a re-branded Mondial?

Since you have experience with all 3 of those brands, can you confirm if the ABC brush is a re-branded Mondial?

It's a good question and I'm interested to know if someone can definitively answer it. I've read conflicting posts on it, with some saying the ABC is a rebranded Mondial, and others saying it's a rebranded Zenith.

It's a good question and I'm interested to know if someone can definitively answer it. I've read conflicting posts on it, with some saying the ABC is a rebranded Mondial, and others saying it's a rebranded Zenith.

My thoughts exactly. I am interesting in expanding my boar collection but I want to make the right choice! So far its between Zenith 26x57, Razorock 26x64(Zenith?) Olive Wood/Blondie or a Mondial 25x60 from ebay.

I already have an Italian flag Omega which is actually an incredible performer now that it is broken in (However it looses tons of hair, between 1-4 per shave...). I find even though it is large and floppy it lathers soaps or creams like a champ. To better load the soaps its easier to remove them from the container and lather with the puck in your hand so you can get the most out of the huge loft and slight splay. Then you can use the tips and the sides to pick up soap more effectively. Smaller containers like Cella are the main limitation of such a large brush since there isn't enough back bone to let the tips do all the work (And the soap isn't removable in a clean/easy way). This lack of backbone doesn't bother me as I find its not necessary to mash the brush in circles anymore on my face and I am using all of the brushes I own (Except synthetics) in painting strokes to face lather. On the other hand my Razorock Chubby (Zenith) will barely splay at all on my face it has so much backbone, hence the painting strokes!

For smaller containers or very hard soaps I then go with my Semogue 620 which is also a great brush.

My thoughts exactly. I am interesting in expanding my boar collection but I want to make the right choice! So far its between Zenith 26x57, Razorock 26x64(Zenith?) Olive Wood/Blondie or a Mondial 25x60 from ebay.

I already have an Italian flag Omega which is actually an incredible performer now that it is broken in (However it looses tons of hair, between 1-4 per shave...). I find even though it is large and floppy it lathers soaps or creams like a champ. To better load the soaps its easier to remove them from the container and lather with the puck in your hand so you can get the most out of the huge loft and slight splay. Then you can use the tips and the sides to pick up soap more effectively. Smaller containers like Cella are the main limitation of such a large brush since there isn't enough back bone to let the tips do all the work (And the soap isn't removable in a clean/easy way). This lack of backbone doesn't bother me as I find its not necessary to mash the brush in circles anymore on my face and I am using all of the brushes I own (Except synthetics) in painting strokes to face lather. On the other hand my Razorock Chubby (Zenith) will barely splay at all on my face it has so much backbone, hence the painting strokes!

For smaller containers or very hard soaps I then go with my Semogue 620 which is also a great brush.
The Zenith and Mondial are both excellent boar brushes

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I am 99% sure that the ABC brush is manufactured by Zenith, the only difference is the loft and the ABC brush fibers are slightly more bleached which gives you the whiter look.

The Mondial brush is very different to the zenith and ABC, the fibres are slightly thicker and not as bleached, it has a golden white look to it and also for the knot size it is packed with more fibres and the loft is just about perfect compared to the other 2 brushes...i love all three of the brushes, however, i tend to use the Mondial a lot more these days due to the balance of the knot size and the loft size it seems to perform slightly better and is a batter balance between the amount of fibres packed in the knot.

I am 99% sure that the ABC brush is manufactured by Zenith, the only difference is the loft and the ABC brush fibers are slightly more bleached which gives you the whiter look.

The Mondial brush is very different to the zenith and ABC, the fibres are slightly thicker and not as bleached, it has a golden white look to it and also for the knot size it is packed with more fibres and the loft is just about perfect compared to the other 2 brushes...i love all three of the brushes, however, i tend to use the Mondial a lot more these days due to the balance of the knot size and the loft size it seems to perform slightly better and is a batter balance between the amount of fibres packed in the knot.

Thanks for the insight!

Thanks for this insight. Which model Mondial in particular are you referring to?

Whether rebradend Zenith or Mondial, ABC brush pricing is impudent.

Zenith B03-A26 is an awesome all-round brush.

Whether rebradend Zenith or Mondial, ABC brush pricing is impudent.

Zenith B03-A26 is an awesome all-round brush.

I am interested in that one, however it seems to be hard-ish to get. I picked up the equivalent sized Omega today (Proraso Omega) and I am in the process of doing the advanced fridge-water break in. The size fills a gap in my collection as my only mid-sized boar. If it is a firmer more precise version of the Italian Flag, I will be happy. The smell when new is horrendous, I never experienced this smell with my Semogue or Italian Flag Omega so I never understood what people were talking about until now :p.

Thanks for this insight. Which model Mondial in particular are you referring to?

I have two models..1) Mondial 1908 Faux Ivory (this is a good quality plastic handle and is the cheapest). 2) Antica Barberia Brushed Aluminum (this is an antique look brushed aluminum handle and is the most expensive out of the three models they offer).

I heard somewhere that the Antica Barbbieria Colla brush is just a rebranded Zenith. Is that true?

I also believe that Zenith specifically manufacturers it for them, however, the dimensions are different to the zenith brushes and also the bristles are completely bleached white.

Top Bottom