What's new

Best and worst aftershave purchase

Best? There are so many good ones. All from Pinaud, Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva, Floid Suave, Old Spice, Brut, etc. Worst is probably Lustray Bay Rum because the staying power is less than 30 minutes.

Best: Musgo Real classic scent (so, naturally, Claus Porto is discontinuing it).
Worst: Geo. F. Trumper Extract of West Indian Limes. ("My darling, come smell my new aftersha—never mind, it's gone.")

Last edited:
So many choices in the "best" category; fewer in the "worst."

My best: All Chatillon Lux in the 2oz bottle (I have six); All Wm Neumann (I have five); Most PAA (I have 16, I believe); Floid Vigoroso; Pashana; The Veg; Black Ship Grooming (I have three); vintage Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, British Sterling and English Leather; Barrister's Reserve (I have two). P.S. Why do I always forget Tabac?

My worst: Proraso green, Lucky Tiger, 4711, any balm, tonic, salve or other stuff that doesn't have alcohol.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Best. Wsp tobacco.

Worst. Clubman veg. Smells like a funeral home.

Aqua velva. Smells like an old lady.
Both equally totally disgusting.

Best could be a really long list but I can narrow it down to a few: My first Floid Blue. I remember smelling that old-school goodness out of the gorgeous, heavy apothecary bottle and thinking of my dad. I'm sure it would smell and feel awesome coming out of a nondescript plastic bottle but it just feels right in that big bottle. Also best would be my Stirling Gin and Tonic and Margaritas in the Arctic.

Worst is a short list: Chiseled Face Cinnawood Boroka. I wore it once. I regretted putting it on almost immediately and by the time I got to work and washed my face, I had a prize-winning migraine and the horrid old-lady scent would not go away until I got home from work and showered.

Best - Fine American Blend, Mickey Lee Grand Havana, Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber, Stirling Sandpiper.

Worst(by a long shot) - Chiseled Face Midnight Stag

Jade_East_2.jpg Pinaud Llilac Vegetal.jpg Best-Jade East Worse-Veg

Best - I have a whole bunch of. Fine, Stirling & Captain's Choice are all top shelf, the drugstore brands - Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, Pinaud are all right there too. Can't leave out the Bootlegger series either.

Worst - Barbasol Pacific Rush. I can't abide any of the "nautical" scents, they all smell like the beach on a sunny day at low tide.

Best: hmmmm maybe Aqua Velva Musk. Absolutely intoxicating to my nose. Smooth glycerin, with little burn. Settles to a warm scent the wife likes.
Worst: Fine Green Vetiver. If I had to imagine what a forest pixie's armpit smelled like, this would be it to me.

Underdog: Veg. Everyday I used it was pure pleasure.
Honorable mention: Cryogen. nuff said.

Well I had ghost town barber on my list of aftershaves to try. Now I'm on the fence.

Well I had ghost town barber on my list of aftershaves to try. Now I'm on the fence.

Just to help you off the fence....The CF GTB has a nice menthol feel, just not sure where they were going with the scent. Oh....BTW....the scent does not last real long.

I can't think of an aftershave I've purchased that I don't wear at least once a month or so. I've never dumped out a bottle in disgust. My least favorite is probably Master Jade, it just doesn't have a whole lot of personality other than "super generic 80's cologne" - but I do enjoy having it in my collection, nonetheless.

Best? Dang, I love me some Avon Windjammer. Some might say it's actually in the same neighborhood as the aforementioned Jade, but it has depth and complexity.

Too many to mention in both categories, but here goes.........

Best-
Tabac Original-
I bought a 300ml bottle of Tabac Original Aftershave from a Perfumeria in Magalluf when my Dad moved from England to Mallorca in April 2005. I wore it every night that week, and whenever I came over to visit, I wore it every night.
I moved from England to Mallorca in April 2006 and wore it every night for 3 weeks - then I got a job working in a British Fish & Chip Shop and for obvious reasons couldn't wear aftershave to work.
The bottle of Tabac was stashed in the cupboard under the sink and lay there forgotten about until I started DE shaving in November 2014 and started using aftershaves again.
It smelled every bit as good as it did when I bought it and to this day it's my "special nights out aftershave"
Whenever I splash it on, the scent gives me flashbacks of ................
Sitting at a table outside Restaurante Las Palmeras eating Lobster Bellavista or drinking a generous measure of Licor 43 or Licor Hierbas with my coffee.
Going to the Royal Garden Pub in Santa Ponsa and listening to a very good friend of mine who was resident singer there at the time (who got me into Garth Brooks and Neil Diamond songs). Or drinking large amounts of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum & Coke served to me by his girlfriend who ran the bar there.
Pouring myself into a taxi back to Magalluf at silly o'clock in the morning - and then going into the nearest bar to drink bottles of Becks for a couple of hours.
Doner kebabs - hardly appetising when sober, but they seemed like a feast after an all nighter
Drinking coffee while watching the sun come up
Happy memories - happy times !!

Williams Expert Aqua Velva -
I read a lot of good things about the USA made Aqua Velva, and when I saw that they make a European version of it I just had to buy some - it was the best €3,95 (for a 200ml glass bottle) that I'd spent in years.
Not long afterwards I tried the USA made Ice Blue Aqua Velva, and although I liked it, IMHO the scent is essentially the same, but stronger- added bonus because I can treat myself to 2 splashes whenever I use the European Aqua Velva.
Great cooling sensation during a heatwave, nice subtle scent that I can virtually wash my face in without announcing my presence

Floïd Vigaroso-
Thanks again B&B users for wising me up to another Spanish classic that was right under my nose all along.
I still can't make up my mind exactly what this stuff smells like, except maybe "good", but I quite like the scent anyway.
The cooling menthol tingle is Floïd's most endearing quality- it's also very refreshing during the July/August heatwave, extremely refreshing with a few menthol crystals added !!

Varon Dandy-
I know it says Colonia on the label, but there seems to be a very fine line between Aftershave and Colonia in Spain.
And an even finer line between Eau De Toilette and Cologne.
All I know is this stuff has been the post shave splash of choice for Gentlemen in Spain for nearly 100 years.
I'm 47 and no matter which age group Spanish female company fall into, they find Varon Dandy acceptable...
Late teens to late 20s - it reminds them of their Dad or their Uncle or their Grandad
Early 30s to late 50s - it reminds them of their brother or their husband
Early 60s and above - it reminds them of their first date or their first boyfriend
I read that it's popular in Cuba and with the Cuban community in Florida
If you like Tabac Original or Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve, you'll probably like Varon Dandy - it's got the same leathery, spicy, in-your-face, masculine scent to it.............
And it costs less than €15 for a 1 Litre glass bottle from various Spanish supermarkets !!

Old Spice from India-
Made under license from Procter & Gamble by Rubicon
I used to love the 1980s version of Old Spice when I was in my late teens - arguably splashing on Old Spice or Brut is just a part of growing up !!
When I tried Old Spice Original I loved it, so much so that I just had to try out Old Spice Fresh Lime and Old Spice Musk.
All 3 are a permanent part of my rotation, whether I use them occasionally or if I go through an Old Spice phase - any of the 3 that I choose to splash on always smells great

comotú aventura-
They call it an Eau De Toilette, so by Spanish standards, technically it's a cologne.
I used to love Christian Dior Farenheit "back in the day" when I refused to wear or use anything unless I'd been brainwashed into thinking it was fashionable, regardless of how expensive it was - more money than sense.
Now that I've got more common sense than cash, I only wear or use something if it's good value for money, has good reviews, and top of the list - if I like it !!
I still miss Farenheit aftershave, but can't justify the prices they charge for it -
Then I read an online review on Mercadona supermarket's house brand - comotú
To keep production costs down, they use identical black bottles for men, and identical white bottles for women.
Just the name on the cap is different, the whole range are said to be almost identical to designer fragrances.
So I tried out the comotú aventura - just like Farenheit, but only costs €7
I know - cheapskate - but I'd rather have something virtually indistinguishable from Farenheit and pocket the difference, than pay through the nose for Farenheit, which most people in Spain would probably think was just comotú aventura !!

Worst-
Yardley Black Label-
I saw it advertised on TV, saw it on special offer in Boots and bought a bottle.
When I wore it to work behind the bar of the 2* hotel I was working in, a customer said (with a straight face)
"I'll buy you a drink if you promise me you'll never wear that aftershave again"
I enjoyed the free drink - when I got home the Yardley Black Label went straight down the plughole !!

Pinaud Clubman Musk-
IMHO it didn't resemble any Musk aftershave I ever used, in fact the sweet, sickly scent reminded me of cheap perfume - I could imagine that it probably resembles the sort of cheap perfume that cheap women wear while standing under lamp posts trying to attract passing kerb crawlers !!
I mixed it with Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum to tone down the burn and stink of clove oil, created the "Bay Musk" Badger Blend and eventually used it up - yuk !!

Brummel-
It reminds me of a cheap (unsuccessful) copy of Denim Original - I just couldn't like the stuff
Now I squirt it around the toilet bowl whenever I need to freshen up the bathroom

Top Bottom