What's new

Best aftershave for irritated skin/razor burn?

Good technique is reducing my razor burn Ive found. First I use a Preshave oil or Poraso. Shave carefully. Next I use an alum block. Followed by Witch hazel. Then Clubman mend bump repair or The cool fix. Lastly a balm, I like Omega Balsmo, Poraso white, or lucky tiger menthol. Still a work in progress though.

For me many products feel amazing and work great. My favorite AS is Tallow+Steel. However nothing stop Razor burn like Alum.

I have very sensitive skin, and I now use a combination of products in three steps right after the shave:

1) Witchhazel based product. I can use Thayers, but I far prefer Hawaiian Shaving Company AS. That is almost pure witchhazel, but has a touch of menthol and kukuinut oil, which just smoothes the skin out a little better.

2) After step 1, I apply a true aftershave product. I love Eufros AS balms, but I also like APR splashes. They both burn a little, but both close the pores and tone the skin.

3) Last but not least, I apply some light lotion to my face to allow the skin to relax. I really like Lather creme moisturizers, but any good quality lotion will do.

Using this method, I can shave daily without issue.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Thayer's Medicated. Aloe Vera, and Calendula to soothe the skin, as well as camphor, eucalyptus and peppermints slight numbing effects.

Witch Hazel really works well for many especially if you have oily skin but it's not really a opening and closing of the pores. When you splash with warm water or in this case with astringents and toners it just causes the pores to swell making them look smaller but they don't actually change in size so likewise when you apply cold water it doesn't actually close the pores. From what I've read witch hazel seems to work best if you splash it on and then remove with a water rinse and then apply your balm or whatever. I would keep it simple if you have sensitive skin or skin issues. The more product you leave on your face post shave the harder your immune system within your skin walls will have work.

This is interesting to me today as I don’t get a lot of irritation from shaving. However, on my way home from the barber my neck was irritated and itchy. I put the shirt in the laundry, washed my neck, rinsed a couple times, then reached instinctively for Florida Water. Worked great. Not sure why I chose an alcohol type splash.

On days I shave too aggressively I normally rub alum block on my face, let dry, rinse thoroughly, then apply balm. It’s soothing, but after an hour or 2 there’s no real difference between this process or a cold water rinse ... for me

One little detail that might be of interest (or not). I apply balm or lotion immediately after rinsing while face is wet.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Lucky Tiger for me too. So soothing and alcohol free. Very lightly scented that is fleeting at best. My go to "rough shave tamer".

Updating my recommend list:

- Lucky Tiger
- Speick
- Generic witch hazel
- Generic witch hazel mixed with aloe gel
- Thayer’s Medicated

I use Nivea sensitive skin balm and 2 drops of peppermint essential oil. Knocks out skin irritation and cools stuff right down. This is of course after I rub down with an alum bar. A few minutes prior.

Top Bottom