What's new

Best aftershave for irritated skin/razor burn?

An application or two of simple witch hazel will do wonders. Otherwise, for actual aftershaves, I’d recommend Speick or Lucky Tiger. Both have lots of good skin food

An application or two of simple witch hazel will do wonders. Otherwise, for actual aftershaves, I’d recommend Speick or Lucky Tiger. Both have lots of good skin food
Well, that was quick! :001_smile

I've used Witch Hazel in the past, and it might be a good idea. My only concern would be if any formulations came with added alcohol, which would obviously dry out the skin, and worsen one's condition.

"...skin food?"

Care to elaborate?

Thanks for the response! :thumbsup:

P.S. - Looked up both "Speick" and "Lucky Tiger." Definitely intrigued by "Speick," which is more in line with the balm/cream type I'm looking for.

Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:
Well, that was quick! :001_smile

I've used Witch Hazel in the past, and it might be a good idea. My only concern would be if any formulations came with added alcohol, which would obviously dry out the skin, and worsen one's condition.

"...skin food?"

Care to elaborate?

Thanks for the response! :thumbsup:

P.S. - Looked up both "Speick" and "Lucky Tiger." Definitely intrigued by "Speick," which is more in line with the balm/cream type I'm looking for.

Thanks for the heads up!

I use generic witch hazel daily after each shave. It is great at reducing minor irritation and helping the skin recover a bit. It’s like a step down from alum. I spent a couple bucks on the bottle and it’s lasted many months and doesn’t interfere with any aftershaves I apply afterwards. Generic, Dickenson’s, Humphrey’s, or Thayer’s, you can’t go wrong with any, just depends on how much you want to spend and what little extras you want in the mix.

Shaving takes a toll on the skin, even with the best technique - exfoliation, micro cuts, irritation, etc. Various soaps and post shave products will most often try to help mitigate that damage.

Skin food is just extra goodies an aftershave will include to help recondition the skin and help it bounce back to normal (or sometimes better) post shave. A basic aftershave will either be alcohol and fragrance or be non-alcohol based, which might begin with something like witch hazel, glycerin, and fragrance. There is nothing wrong with straight alcohol and fragrance type aftershaves, if your skin can handle it. Fine Accoutrements for instance, is such a type (with added menthol), and is an aftershave I highly enjoy for scent and feel. These ingredients are skin foods in themselves. There are also ingredients like hemp oil, aloe, shea butter, and many more natural herbs and extracts. Best to read the ingredients lists on products.

Even if you just pick an aftershave for its scent, and find it a bit lacking later, a little face moisturizer never hurts!

I use witch hazel immediately after shaving. Then Nivea sensitive skin after shave balm about 10 minutes later. Things feel pretty good by the time I head off to work.

I use generic witch hazel daily after each shave. It is great at reducing minor irritation and helping the skin recover a bit. It’s like a step down from alum. I spent a couple bucks on the bottle and it’s lasted many months and doesn’t interfere with any aftershaves I apply afterwards. Generic, Dickenson’s, Humphrey’s, or Thayer’s, you can’t go wrong with any, just depends on how much you want to spend and what little extras you want in the mix.

Shaving takes a toll on the skin, even with the best technique - exfoliation, micro cuts, irritation, etc. Various soaps and post shave products will most often try to help mitigate that damage.

Skin food is just extra goodies an aftershave will include to help recondition the skin and help it bounce back to normal (or sometimes better) post shave. A basic aftershave will either be alcohol and fragrance or be non-alcohol based, which might begin with something like witch hazel, glycerin, and fragrance. There is nothing wrong with straight alcohol and fragrance type aftershaves, if your skin can handle it. Fine Accoutrements for instance, is such a type (with added menthol), and is an aftershave I highly enjoy for scent and feel. These ingredients are skin foods in themselves. There are also ingredients like hemp oil, aloe, shea butter, and many more natural herbs and extracts. Best to read the ingredients lists on products.

Even if you just pick an aftershave for its scent, and find it a bit lacking later, a little face moisturizer never hurts!
In this instance, I'm definitely NOT picking an aftershave for its olfactory properties, but rather its restorative ones.

Like I mentioned before, "Speick" seems to be more in line of what I'm looking for. Definitely gonna give that one a try.

Interesting that you apply aftershave AFTER using witch hazel, which has its own distinct smell, IMO.

I use witch hazel immediately after shaving. Then Nivea sensitive skin after shave balm about 10 minutes later. Things feel pretty good by the time I head off to work.
Nivea balm is another one I hear good stuff about a lot, haven’t used it myself unfortunately. There is also a 2 in 1 aftershave that is supposedly equally as nice.
In this instance, I'm definitely NOT picking an aftershave for its olfactory properties, but rather its restorative ones.

Like I mentioned before, "Speick" seems to be more in line of what I'm looking for. Definitely gonna give that one a try.

Interesting that you apply aftershave AFTER using witch hazel, which has its own distinct smell, IMO.
I did notice the scent witch hazel for a couple of weeks when first using. I didn’t get the “dirty socks” some folks do, but it was quite unique and earthy/plant-like, though bearable. Now it just smells nice and fresh to me, hardly any scent at all. It definitely does not linger long enough to affect my AS.

Alum Block (astringent) and Proraso Green AS Lotion (very rich ingredients such as hazel witch, eucalyptus oil) work best for me.
proxy.php

I LOVE "Proraso's" shave cream and pre shave cream, but I wonder if their AS would be appropriate for sensitive skin, being that the first ingredient listed on its bottle is ALCOHOL.

I would ask if ANY product is going to better than nothing. Our own bodies are smarter than any added chemical, and surely the skin does what it needs to restore itself?

Oh, man... I've tried "Cool Fix."

To say it's HARSH is an understatement! :ohmy:

NOT for the weak or the sensitive. :wink2:

Really? I haven’t found that to be the case. No harsher that any other after shave balm I have ever used. Although I do not use it every day, I keep it on hand for times I have had a bad experience with trying a new blade, or my technique had been gotten sloppy. YMMV clearly applies here.

Really? I haven’t found that to be the case. No harsher that any other after shave balm I have ever used. Although I do not use it every day, I keep it on hand for times I have had a bad experience with trying a new blade, or my technique had been gotten sloppy. YMMV clearly applies here.
Your skin may just not be as SENSITIVE as mine. :001_unsur

I bought a bottle a few years ago, which I still have.

When I do use it (rather than throw it out), I remind myself, "ok, this is gonna HURT." :07:

I LOVE "Proraso's" shave cream and pre shave cream, but I wonder if their AS would be appropriate for sensitive skin, being that the first ingredient listed on its bottle is ALCOHOL.

I was given a bottle of the proraso white aftershave balm and it doesnt burn at all. It cools the razor burn I get every time I shave within 3 minutes. I absolutely love the proraso white balm. I will say this and aqua velva are the only two aftershaves I have used so far but once I'm out of the proraso white I will buy more because how well it works.

It’s been a while but I remember “The Gentleman’s Refinery’s” aftershave was stellar for burn. But I don’t see it on many vendors shelves anymore. Unfortunately.

All said and done, for me, a splash followed by a quality balm is pure money. The splash’ll burn off any micro abrasions and the balm will fill em in with comfort. The combo of the two allows me to be a little less product picky.

When I feel a shave was a bit too close and feel some razor burn, I always use Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm.
It always makes my face feel better.

nivea.jpg

Top Bottom