What's new

Benefit of SB baseplate?

If you only shave a few times a week and have coarse beard do you see any benefit in a SB base? Maybe OC first 2 passes then sb on 3rd pass? Does anyone feel they get better results on final pass with sb vs oc?

The solid bar base plate can easily cope with a couple of days stubble; the first pass removes most of the stubble. Blade exposure and gap will determine how well the razor performs together with your preferred blade.

It is a matter of preference.

I have a three open comb razors, a Parker 24C, a Karve C plate OC, and a Muhle R41 (which most call an open comb, although technically, it is slightly different in design). I may use one of these razors for initial passes and then finish up with a SB razor for the clean up pass. I very rarely use an open comb for clean up.

Other days, I use one of my SB razors for the initial passes. Sometimes I even use a single razor for the complete shave, but more often than not, I use at least two razors, sometimes three.

IMO, the OC design is slightly more efficient, while the SB provides more smoothness. Less strokes required for the OC design as long as both head designs are similar, as with Timeless razors. On more than 1 days growth, I prefer the .95 OC over the .95 SB.

I have limited experience with OC plates as I loaned my Merkur 1904 OC to my daughter. The challenge I had with the OC was keeping track of what areas I had shaved. I am curious if this is an issue for others.

That said I just bought the plain old OC plate for my GC (not the JAWS). So I will be curious to see where the new plate takes me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is totally YMMV IMO.

Some OC are quite mild while some SB razors are aggressive. The OC options may be a bit more aggressive in aggregate, but there are plenty of exceptions.

With my blackbird, the OC can give me a DFS in 2 passes, but shaving every other day with it causes some irritation. The SB might need 3 passes for the same result, but is much comfier. I never have an issue with the SB handling a few days growth. YMMV as states above.

Top Bottom