What's new

Ben Hur Adjustable

Here's a very pristine made-for-the-French market Ben Hur -- from the Herkenrath company who also made the Apollo razors for the German (and likely the US) market. The Ben Hur was identical except for the logo/trademark embossed on the razor and added to the inside of the case.
full

full

Subtle, but you can see this is a Ben Hur razor.
full

full

Their own branded blades were also part of the set -- no styptic stick or cleanout brush with this 2nd generation design razor.
full

full

Really like out of a time machine. Pristine and a great shaver.
And part of a bigger family.
full

They made slants, straights, adjustables, and all heavy weights and excellent designs and shavers.

The date code is likely on the bottom left of the instruction sheet. 1950s likely.
Thanks Jake I’ll check out the instruction sheet.

So I have a question how far back did Apollo make adjustable razors? I read somewhere that it was either Gibbs or Apollo that made the very fist adjustable razor.

Thanks Jake I’ll check out the instruction sheet.

So I have a question how far back did Apollo make adjustable razors? I read somewhere that it was either Gibbs or Apollo that made the very fist adjustable razor.
Other French came before them we think but dates hard to nail down. Gibbs (37) before Apollo (probably 38) though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That is beautiful. What material is made of? And how does it shave (if you intend to use it)?
I believe they are made of pot metal which makes finding one in great shape more difficult and from what I’ve been told can’t be replated should an owner want to.

These weren't for the French market, or at least not specifically. First, the cleaningcloth has text in German, second, the Herckenrath factory was called the Ben Hur Rasiermesser Fabrik. They produced Ben Hur, for all markets, later acquired the Apollobrand as well.
That said: beautiful razors Jake.

These weren't for the French market, or at least not specifically. First, the cleaningcloth has text in German, second, the Herckenrath factory was called the Ben Hur Rasiermesser Fabrik. They produced Ben Hur, for all markets, later acquired the Apollobrand as well.
That said: beautiful razors Jake.
I don't think Ben Hur (a heroic Jewish figure) would have been marketed in Germany mid 30s--45. It is far more likely that the Apollo brand became the go-to brand for the German market while Ben Hur was retained for the French (where the Apollo name was already used by another manufacturer since c1910) and perhaps elsewhere. After 1946 Ben Hur branding could have returned (but why?) but I don't know that German on the cleaning cloth adequately establishes that.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Fact remains that the Herckenrath factory, where all Ben Hur AND Apollo razors were produced, was called the Ben Hur Rasierklingen Fabrik (Ben Hur Razorblade Factory). Please be aware that Apollo was a brand in Germany as well, before Herckenrath acquired it. Also see this post where the Patent-entry is shown for a Herckenrath patent in 1933. That specifically mentions the Ben Hur-factory.
Seing how Ben Hur helped Christ when he was crucified, and then converted to christianity, thus renouncing being a Jew, 1930s anti-Ben Hur-sentiments might not be a certainty.

Top Bottom