What's new

Being Clean Shaven

For many Millennials and Gen Zers, who have yet to go grey, a few days of stubble appears to be a popular look these days. For those of us who have significant grey hair stubble tends to make one look older than they are and a bit disheveled. @sternej summed this up very well in his above post.

I believe I read somewhere (likely here somewhere) that prior to about the 1940s, men typically didn't shave every day.

I go 2-4 days between shave because I have no need to shave more often, and because such older growth makes for a better, closer and more comfortable shave. I don't mind the stubble and think it gives better definition to my face. I do let it grow out considerably a couple/few times a year, but find it uncomfortable when i sleep. I have nothing to prove with facial hair certainly. Unlike the students i am around every day who seem to see it as an expedient to maturity. Go figure.
Suspect you are right. Didn't need a daily shave for the far more prevalent farm and factory jobs in those days. Also could have been a legacy behavior from pre-DE shaving days when a weekly barber shave was more of the standard. Similar pattern for other areas of hygiene such as a weekly bath versus the daily shower more typical today.

Hi,

Clean shaven = probable continued living. Whiskers = certain death.

It's just that simple. For firefighters. And some other occupations.

That SCBA mask can't seal on whiskers and toxic gases get in and you die. Of course, there are other things to kill you in this business and so the 'probable continued living' part....

Stan
Same.

Work with some dangerous chemicals.

It is included in my contract if employment that I must be clean shaven.

However I tend to let it grow on my rest days.

Would probably have a beard if I could.

In my own personal opinion only, I think the vast majority of men look better without a beard/mustache/van dyke/goatee/soul patch, and the like. Not everyone, but most.

As for the stubble look, I am not a huge fan, and I think it looks positively awful unless it is groomed and maintained. It also helps if the person rocking the stumble look doesn't have patchy or vastly uneven growth. In other words, as a general rule, if you couldn't grow out a full beard that looks even and covers evenly, the stubble look is probably not going to look good on you.

I agree with others who have noted that if your beard hairs are gray, any sort of facial hair tends to make you look older. I see some guys who have a full head of dark hair but the walk around with a graying van dyke. Maybe they want to look older, or 'more distinguished'? If that is what they are trying to accomplish, they are reaching their goal. Otherwise, they might consider shaving it off.

For my part, my wife loathes it when I have facial hair, so I shave frequently.

All lf the above, however, were offerred only as my opinion about a topic that somebody else brought up for discussion. I don't go around telling people what they should do with their own facial hair. It doesn't really matter to me. But I do greatly prefer the clean-shaven look, generally speaking.

Same. 😆
I used to have a close-cropped beard about 30 years ago that was salt 'n' pepper.
Now I'm all gray ... closer to white, actually.
I started to grow a beard a couple years ago, thinking it would make me look distinguished.
Instead, it made me look more extinguished: old and tired and sort of creepy. So I shaved it off aside from a goatee.
I've never cared for stubble. I don't mind if other guys have stubble. Some guys, in fact, look great that way. I don't. And since I shifted to traditional shaving last year, I shave every day almost without exception. I enjoy shaving and enjoy a smooth face. And I don't look like the guy on the cover of Aqualung. :laugh:
But you like the record, don't ya😉?

I kept a beard half of my adult life and got tired of taking care of it and trimming it. I'll never go back; it was itchy and uncomfortable most of the time. I don't care what everyone else is doing, I'll shave like my dad did all his life.

I don't think I've missed more than a day or two here and there since I started shaving because I get itchy after a couple of days of not shaving. I just can't stand stubble on my face, plus I can't grow a beard or mustache to save my life, I'm fine with that.

I am telling you guys NYC ladies love stubble, grey works too.
I suppose it is likely true that some of the women in NYC like stubble. It is also probable that there is a sizeable contingent of women there who prefer their men to be clean shaven. Very doubt ful there is a consensus on this.

But here's the thing: I don't live in NYC. Also, I'm married. So for me it really only matters whether my wife likes stubble or not, and as it turns out she hates it. So there's that.

I just like the feeling of having a smooth shaved face. It makes me feel good. But I do also have a goatee beard and that gives me something to play with. I especially like the stiff hairs that curl around a bit and I can stab myself in the face with them. This gives me endless joy. So for me, clean shaven with a neat goatee is the best of both worlds.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I believe this is the survivorship illusion due to sampling bias.

The female population of New York State is 10,065,423, while the female population of New York City is 4,269,229.

It's extremely difficult to get so many women to share the same preferences at the same time.
My wife doesn't even think Brad Pitt is handsome. (Maybe she said that because she was in front of me)

Channel 9 Reaction GIF by Married At First Sight Australia

I was thinking of this the other day while on an elliptical runner at Planet Fitness. By far the majority of men I could see--while trying NOT to notice how slowly my elapsed time was running down--did not have beards or mustaches. Or even 5 o'clock shadow.

But this is anecdotal. Trends come and go. Perhaps beards are on the way out?

Top Bottom