What's new

Being Clean Shaven

How do I put this?

ok, its the cave woman instinct ... they want to be clubbed over the head and dragged back to the cave by the hair and we all know cave womans never shaved their legs.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I enjoy spending time with my razors more than humans or chickens.
At least the razor is much quieter and doesn't judge or try to influence my thoughts.

And I spent quite a bit of money on razors, the aggressive use of which saved me from being murdered by my wife.
This is worth it.

Last edited:
Apparently more than 50% of men in the UK now have facial hair, but the numbers are skewed towards the young. Likewise, the proportion of women who prefer beards is increasing (from a very low starting point) but again there is a skew towards younger cohorts.

Since I am too old to be chasing young girls (and didn't base my shaving decisions on their preferences even when I wasn't) I don't much care what they think. I also think that a lot of young guys with "beards" look ridiculous.

I am probably a dinosaur, but I still believe that being well turned out is the mark of gentleman, and that usually includes a good shave. It's a product of how I was raised and my early career. I also agree with @thombrogan. Happy razor fun time is sacrosanct!

Hi,

Clean shaven = probable continued living. Whiskers = certain death.

It's just that simple. For firefighters. And some other occupations.

That SCBA mask can't seal on whiskers and toxic gases get in and you die. Of course, there are other things to kill you in this business and so the 'probable continued living' part....

Stan

Hi,

Clean shaven = probable continued living. Whiskers = certain death.

It's just that simple. For firefighters. And some other occupations.

That SCBA mask can't seal on whiskers and toxic gases get in and you die. Of course, there are other things to kill you in this business and so the 'probable continued living' part....

Stan
That’s why many firefighters used to have mustaches and maybe sideburns. Since that’s about all they were allowed to grow.

Being clean shaven every day is incredibly out of style. I go three or four days now and chicks love it.

Oi! Is that you George?

george-michael-306600-2-raw.jpg

I'm fairly certain that style was was old hat by the mid-nineties.

It's in style to pierce your ear and even put a rubber grommet in it....not for this guy
It's in style to accentuate your body with tattoos....again, not for me
I'm 72. Don't really care what "chicks" dig. My face, my decision. Had a beard for 30+ years. Now it's just a goatee. That may change tomorrow. YOLO.

For me, being anything less than clean shaven makes me feel... unhygienic, for lack of a better word. While I can certainly appreciate a great beard, mustache, what have you, I have to do so vicariously.

I've never cared much for stubble on my face. I've attempted, on many occasions to grow a beard but, I could never get past day 2 or 3. I shave ALMOST every day. In today's society, being unshaven is acceptable... in fact, it seems like it's demanding it. I can recall when having a 3-4 day growth wasn't acceptable at all. I remember when shaving twice a day was a common practice. How many of us up there in years can remember going to school clean-shaven, then coming home to get ready for an evening out, and have to shave again? Regardless, of the current styles of fashion, grooming (or the lack thereof). Always remember this... what's old, becomes new again. I believe traditional grooming is coming back!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It might be worth mentioning that some folks shave every day just to work at their place of work that demands this. Some folks might have to dawn on SCBA to fix equipment or doing sweeps of a plant when alarms are activated or testing air quality when alarms are shut off. This happens across the world every day regardless what other's might not understand with because equipment fails over time or fires occur every day of week world wide.
Personally I have shaved daily for decades and have grown a beard a long time ago and found it a itchy ordeal I recall!

I believe I read somewhere (likely here somewhere) that prior to about the 1940s, men typically didn't shave every day.

I go 2-4 days between shave because I have no need to shave more often, and because such older growth makes for a better, closer and more comfortable shave. I don't mind the stubble and think it gives better definition to my face. I do let it grow out considerably a couple/few times a year, but find it uncomfortable when i sleep. I have nothing to prove with facial hair certainly. Unlike the students i am around every day who seem to see it as an expedient to maturity. Go figure.

I'm an old guy, so the stubble makes me look like a homeless old guy
Same. 😆
I used to have a close-cropped beard about 30 years ago that was salt 'n' pepper.
Now I'm all gray ... closer to white, actually.
I started to grow a beard a couple years ago, thinking it would make me look distinguished.
Instead, it made me look more extinguished: old and tired and sort of creepy. So I shaved it off aside from a goatee.
I've never cared for stubble. I don't mind if other guys have stubble. Some guys, in fact, look great that way. I don't. And since I shifted to traditional shaving last year, I shave every day almost without exception. I enjoy shaving and enjoy a smooth face. And I don't look like the guy on the cover of Aqualung. :laugh:

I have no problem growing a beard or long hair. Have done both multiple times. Even long hair and long beard. Never ever was into being clean-shaven for more than a day or a few in a row. Until I discovered DE safety razor shaving. Then I liked being able to get a good clean shave, easily. Tried shaving my head and liked that as well.

Once I got really into it this Summer, I've been clean-shaven face and head all but a couple of days since June.

I think with a lot of the young males and females nowadays think of being clean-shaven as old mannish or from the dreaded days before wokeness.

Never had a mustache prior to this Summer. The clean shaved face and head with a mustache works good for me. It seems to fit my attitude right now. And my mustache is the least gray of my hair!

Top Bottom