What's new

Beginning to end - my DE journey and search for a RFL

@Alum Ladd and @thombrogan

Thank you, as always, for your care and concern.

All is good, just tied up with work and life, fixing windows and sweeping up rocks, and forgot how long it has been since I posted.

There has also been relatively little to post about.

I was doing the one blade in February with the King C Gillette and as @Guido75 said it would be, it was in fact easy peasy. Having said that, on day 29 of February the force I had to exert on the blade to drag it through the whiskers was significantly more than at the beginning of February. In terms of use I think that I would have considered stopping use of the blade on days 26-27 given the loss of performance but pushed to 29 because it was one blade and it was only February. Also, the shaves weren't terrible just not as comfortable as they can be. So the learning was that the King C Gillette for me had at least 20-25 days of relatively comfortable shaves in it. A lot more than the 4-5 days of shaving I had previously pushed it to.

The other problem with this is that it made me wonder how other blades in my collection would go? I don't know if you can fall down an excalibur hole ... or be stung by an excalibur blade ... possibly struck by the excalibur curse??

So at the beginning of March, maybe with the words easy peasy still ringing in my ears, I followed @Guido75's other common recommendation and brushed off a Dorco Titan blade to see how that would go. At day 2-3 it wasn't feeling the best, not bad but it felt like it was faltering but then day 4-8 it smoothed out and was a nice blade to shave with. It made it to 11 March with one no shave day so 10 days before it was feeling uncomfortable enough to move on. I am not trying to see how far I can possibly push a blade to the detriment of my desired comfort level, but I am more dipping a toe into the longevity waters of the blades, so to speak. Either way a lot further than the 4 days of previous use that I would have given the blade.

On returning to my shaving den (aka - half of one shelf of the bathroom cupboard) I noticed a little tuck of blades that I had enjoyed but not revisited for some time. So from 12 March to now I have had a Silver Star loaded in the razor. I guess that means it has now hit 10 days (possibly 11) of shaving. Today was the first time it felt like it was pulling a bit more than normal, until now it has provided nice smooth shaves. I think it has at least one more day of shaving to see how it feels.

I varied the razor a bit during February but since the last few days of February to now I have been stuck on the Rockwell 6C on Plate 6. This is too easy and nice to use and given my lack of time it has been simpler to just stick with the one razor.

Rest of shaving has been standard, prep is still hot shower and splash of water to face, shaving pattern has remained consistent with first pass North to South all over, second pass across the grain ear to nose on face and then against the grain South to North on neck and under jawline.

Soaps have varied through Tabac (new), Haslinger Schafmilch, Arko! and Proraso green. The Proraso green has been getting a lot of face time lately, not sure if it is the hotter weather we were having or if I am developing a menthol addiction but it has been the predominant soap of choice of late. Generally two days of Proraso and then a whip around the rest.

The brush of choice has been the Semogue Mistura since the end of February, so nice to use, I keep thinking of switching it out but then just one more morning...

I do have one problem though which is that if this excalibur thing continues and I keep getting more than 10 days out of a blade, while I haven't done the exact calculation, I think I may already have more blades than I will live to use. Does anyone have any recommendation for a health and fitness plan or a pill that will keep me going to the end of my blade supply? With perhaps a bit extra for when I get out of GRUYERE and purchase some more Silver Star blades?

Happy shaving all.

@Alum Ladd and @thombrogan

Thank you, as always, for your care and concern.

All is good, just tied up with work and life, fixing windows and sweeping up rocks, and forgot how long it has been since I posted.

There has also been relatively little to post about.

I was doing the one blade in February with the King C Gillette and as @Guido75 said it would be, it was in fact easy peasy. Having said that, on day 29 of February the force I had to exert on the blade to drag it through the whiskers was significantly more than at the beginning of February. In terms of use I think that I would have considered stopping use of the blade on days 26-27 given the loss of performance but pushed to 29 because it was one blade and it was only February. Also, the shaves weren't terrible just not as comfortable as they can be. So the learning was that the King C Gillette for me had at least 20-25 days of relatively comfortable shaves in it. A lot more than the 4-5 days of shaving I had previously pushed it to.

The other problem with this is that it made me wonder how other blades in my collection would go? I don't know if you can fall down an excalibur hole ... or be stung by an excalibur blade ... possibly struck by the excalibur curse??

So at the beginning of March, maybe with the words easy peasy still ringing in my ears, I followed @Guido75's other common recommendation and brushed off a Dorco Titan blade to see how that would go. At day 2-3 it wasn't feeling the best, not bad but it felt like it was faltering but then day 4-8 it smoothed out and was a nice blade to shave with. It made it to 11 March with one no shave day so 10 days before it was feeling uncomfortable enough to move on. I am not trying to see how far I can possibly push a blade to the detriment of my desired comfort level, but I am more dipping a toe into the longevity waters of the blades, so to speak. Either way a lot further than the 4 days of previous use that I would have given the blade.

On returning to my shaving den (aka - half of one shelf of the bathroom cupboard) I noticed a little tuck of blades that I had enjoyed but not revisited for some time. So from 12 March to now I have had a Silver Star loaded in the razor. I guess that means it has now hit 10 days (possibly 11) of shaving. Today was the first time it felt like it was pulling a bit more than normal, until now it has provided nice smooth shaves. I think it has at least one more day of shaving to see how it feels.

I varied the razor a bit during February but since the last few days of February to now I have been stuck on the Rockwell 6C on Plate 6. This is too easy and nice to use and given my lack of time it has been simpler to just stick with the one razor.

Rest of shaving has been standard, prep is still hot shower and splash of water to face, shaving pattern has remained consistent with first pass North to South all over, second pass across the grain ear to nose on face and then against the grain South to North on neck and under jawline.

Soaps have varied through Tabac (new), Haslinger Schafmilch, Arko! and Proraso green. The Proraso green has been getting a lot of face time lately, not sure if it is the hotter weather we were having or if I am developing a menthol addiction but it has been the predominant soap of choice of late. Generally two days of Proraso and then a whip around the rest.

The brush of choice has been the Semogue Mistura since the end of February, so nice to use, I keep thinking of switching it out but then just one more morning...

I do have one problem though which is that if this excalibur thing continues and I keep getting more than 10 days out of a blade, while I haven't done the exact calculation, I think I may already have more blades than I will live to use. Does anyone have any recommendation for a health and fitness plan or a pill that will keep me going to the end of my blade supply? With perhaps a bit extra for when I get out of GRUYERE and purchase some more Silver Star blades?

Happy shaving all.
Welcome back!

Our neighbours (New Zealand) have a lolly/sweet/candy called chocolate fush although I think it is spelled 'chocolate fish'.

Given the Swiss chocolate and from what I know of Okinawa (having watched the original Karate Kid 2 movie when it came out in the 80's) fish is high in their diet. Perhaps a solid dietary supplement of chocolate fish is the way to go, maybe those New Zealanders are on to something.

Or maybe I need to spend my life trying to break a large log with one punch ... the 80's were very confusing for me.

Either way, if you do hear of any Swiss ladies that have married an Okinawan gentleman or the other way around, who are looking for an heir to their cheese knife empire, please feel free to pass on my details.

The Excalibur curse or fun with blades - Day 1

Today was the first day of a new blade, the Silver Star lasted well but the final couple of days were a bit more tugging than slicing and I decided it was farewell. But after 13 days it was a good performer and the quality of the shave was a solid damn fine shave maybe only the odd minus throughout.

So today I scanned around and my eyes landed on the Muhle blades, I quickly thought no and kept looking around only to come back to them with an uneasy feeling that they would be the next to go.

I don't dislike Muhle blades, they were one of the first 'different' blades I tried and they were lovely, I then tried them again when I had more experience and they were not so good. I am hence in two minds and they are a bit of an enigma for me. With all this distracting over complicating and over thinking going on I finally convinced myself (based on nothing but my vague impression) that Muhle are supposed to be a high quality blade and it would be interesting to see how long they last for.

Sticking with the Rockwell 6C on plate 6 and the Mistura brush because one big decision is enough for one morning, the first shave with the Muhle went well. Felt quite smooth, not crazy sharp but alright. Final wash up felt really nice and smooth and I was impressed. Then by the time I had arrived at work the original smooth had gone and a slight roughness was already appearing.

Usually when I get close to baby bottom smooth it lasts for an hour or so at least, this was not the case this time. A full beard didn't pop out so I am being critical but it was not as smooth as initially promised.

Hopefully, as our time together progresses, I get better and it gets better and we meet in a happy shaving equilibrium for a few days at least. If not this may be a very quick Excalibur session.

Soap today was Tabac (new) which provided a lovely slick lather.

Happy shaving all.

Top Bottom