What's new

Beginners razor?

Hi,
I just bought this old razor from the Ebay site in Sweden. Has any one any idea how good the razor/steel is? Can it be something for a newbie after honing etc?

Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks to be in good condition.

My understanding is that Swedish steel is quite good (Dovo continues to use Swedish steel in some of its razors).

Assuming its in good condition and that its properly honed, it should be a fine razor. The only thing that makes it less noob friendly is the fact that it has a square tip vs. a rounded one. However, from the pictures, it appears that the tip is slightly rounded, which is less likely to nick than a spike, which has a sharp point at the tip.

I've actually only bought my first straight today, but when doing my research, it seemed that everyone recommended getting a shave ready razor off the bat, as it is difficult for someone new to properly hone a razor, or even know what a properly honed razor shaves/feels like (wow that is a long sentence).

Like I said I haven't actually used a straight so I don't know, but it sounds like good advice. If you don't want to go through the expense of getting a new one you can always send the razor you have for proper honing (classicshaving has a honing service). Also I'd recommend getting Lynn Abrams World of Straight Razor Shaving DVD. It has information on just about everything you need to know about straight razor shaving. You can get it at the straightrazorplace or at classicshaving.

IF the razor and box are a match, that's a dandy. A well thought of razor. What are you using for a hone?

Randy

IF the razor and box are a match, that's a dandy. A well thought of razor. What are you using for a hone?

Randy

I haven't got one. I am open to suggestions. I'll probably ask some knowledgable person here to teach me.

Just got the razor today from the seller (about 12 Euro!) and what a pleasant surprise. It is brand new! It looks very similar to modern German straight razors. This Swedish maker does not exist any more. I could not help but attach another picture of it. I am all excited!

Nice!

I keep thinking that I want to try a straight razor... but I've spent most of my money for shaving already (I'm trying REALLY hard to budget this new habit).

I'm hesitant to buy a straight off ebay... actually I'm hesitant on a lot of things with ebay (I got burned badly buying a computer, long story) but new seems expensive for me... we'll see.

Again, nice purchase!

Swedish steel has been used by Solingen makers for years and is very good stuff indeed. In fact DOVO have been using it for years (they never would use the superior Sheffield stuff - wonder why?):wink: Anyway, that looks one good razor. Before you hone it - strop it! That's all it might need. Far too many users reach for the hone whenever they get a razor. Most times a good strop will be the answer.

To the user who is wary of eBay - I understand. My razors are always described accurately and I don't sell crap unless I say it's crap.:biggrin1:

Nice!

I keep thinking that I want to try a straight razor... but I've spent most of my money for shaving already (I'm trying REALLY hard to budget this new habit).

I'm hesitant to buy a straight off ebay... actually I'm hesitant on a lot of things with ebay (I got burned badly buying a computer, long story) but new seems expensive for me... we'll see.

I had the same misgivings. So I purchased a Feather AC with ProGuard blades from Appleton barber shop to try. I figured if I didn't like the experience I could turn around and sell it for almost what I paid for it and I could focus initially on the shaving--stropping and honing isn't required. A small disclaimer here, the Feather AC is not exactly like a traditional straight, but I think it's pretty close to give you a fair idea of what's the experience will be like.

Once I found I liked the experience I then went to www.straightrazorplace.com to get a good used and shave ready razor, and a strop from Tony at http://www.thewellshavedgentleman.com and haven't looked back.

Since then my collection has grown and I've since purchased several razors off of eBay, altima66 and mr barence are reputable straight razor ebayers. In fact the razor I got from altima66 came shave ready. :biggrin:

cheers

Pat

You did well getting that razor IMHO.
Eskilstuna steel is found in quite a few of the "cult" razors.
That one looks to be in great condition, also.
Quietly enjoy your razor, and do not spread TOO much word, so the rest of us can still enjoy a chance at the "good stuff" from time to time :wink:
John P.

Raj,

Wow. That looks to have been a heck of a deal. If I were you, I would send it out for a honing by an expect. There are several around who will do it for a fee. Including the ClassicShaving service, which sends it to Lynn (a know master, and founder of straightrazorplace.com). Are you stateside or no? If no, then it should still be possible to find someone who would hone it for you on the other side of the pond, rather than having to pay cross-ocean shipping.

You will need a strop, if you don't have one. Look to Tony Miller at TheWellShavedGentleman.com. You can also get a pasted strop there too maintain your razor. (I've not tried any of this yet, but my strop came today, and it looks mighty nice. The pasted strop seemed widely suggested for maintaining the razor).

-Mo

Bohooo:frown:

Like reading a good book only to discover that the last few chapters are missing.

What happened then......:tongue_sm

:smile:mace

Before you hone it - strop it! That's all it might need. Far too many users reach for the hone whenever they get a razor. Most times a good strop will be the answer.

I strongly disagree with this statement. Leather does not sharpen a razor, it just aligns an edge that is already sharp. I have honed hundreds and hundreds of ebay razors and none were ready to shave without the hone (at least some work on the coticule in a best case scenario). While there is an outside chance that the razor is ready to go, I think that it is such a small chance that it would not even be worth considering. Send the razor to get professionally honed and learn to shave with it. That is a great razor!

Top Bottom