What's new

Beginers next razor

After 8 months with a mild EJ 89 I am wanting to try something a little more aggressive.Having normal to sensitive skin what should be my next move,a slant or an adjustable?Brand recommendations would be great too,thanks guys

I would suggest using a shim or two with the EJ 89, that helped with my Merkur 23c. You can get the feel a a slightly more aggressive shave. The razor I would then look for would be the Gillette Old type or a New. They are pretty easy to find in the wild and generally inexpensive.

So many choices out there. It would help to narrow down what you're looking for a little more. I know you said more aggressive. What else would you want in a razor?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
If you like the style of the DE89 and want something a little more aggressive, the RazoRock SLAB is just the ticket. Comes with a great Ikon Bamboo handle too.

I also agree with the Slim. You can dial it in to the aggressiveness that you prefer, then I believe that there are blade gap measurements in the wiki for each setting. Those measurements would help you out when looking for the next razor, if you don't just stay with the Slim.

When in doubt, go vintage. The problem is there are so many--New, Old, Short Comb, Long Comb, Fat Boy, Slim, Tech, Aristocrat, pre-War, post-War, etc., etc. etc. It can be very confusing sorting out which model you want to try and then on top of that there's concern about condition.

Or you could try the ATT S1, which is a very comfortable and efficient slant. It's pricey but it might also be the last razor you ever buy. (Who am I kidding? If you're anything like many of us here you'll probably buy more.)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A Gilette adjustable is the only DE you will ever need. You have 9 razors in one. Pick one, just by turning the ring. Slim or FB is good, but a Super Adjustable ("Black Beauty") is good, too, and often a good bit cheaper. Fatboys are so much in demand that the prices on them can be a bit inflated. For a guy who wants a FB, a Slim is often the second choice. The Super Adjustable shaves every bit as good.

I don't want to alarm you, but this kind of question is one of the main symptoms of early-onset RAD. My advice is to buy both and make an appointment with your financial planner and marriage counselor.

...what should be my next move,a slant or an adjustable?

Yes.

You'll want to try both eventually. My advice is pick up a slant to play with while you take your time cruising the BST and the bay looking for a reasonably priced vintage Gillette adjustable.

Find an antique shop or fleamarket and see what finds you. There is nothing like finding something in the wild.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.I should have mentioned my parents are on the lookout for my fathers and my grandfathers old D/E razors.They put them away and can not remember where they are :laugh:.I remember my father shaving with his so I would put the age of that one at about circa 1976,and I have no idea how old my grandfathers would be.

How are the Merkur adjustable's?Price wise they are very appealing.
I use a Merkur Futur and am very happy with it. Note, they can be very​ aggressive, so start out slow and work your way up to the setting you're the most comfortable with as you get used to the razor. I have heard it said that a Futur on 1 is more aggressive than a Fat Boy on 9. I have both and use the Futur on 3 and the Fat Boy on 5. And for what it's worth, I use my Slim on 7.

Last edited:
I use a Merkur Futur and am very happy with it. Note, they can be very​ aggressive, so start out slow and work your way up to the setting you're the most comfortable with as you get used to the razor. I have heard it said that a Futur on 1 is more aggressive than a Fat Boy on 9. I have both and use the Futur on 3 and the Fat Boy on 5. And for what it's worth, I use my Slim on 7.
Thanks for the response,may I ask what blade you use with the Futur?Astras work well for me with my current set up.

Top Bottom