What's new

Before and After Cleaning thread

That Aristocrat looks incredible, I wish I had those skills.

Here's what I picked up from ebay. Looks a like a 40's style Tech and the SS is a '54 (Z4). SS is in next post.

Tech After (Before (no pics, sorry): the head was pretty blackened, handle was good)

This SS wasn't too bad, and it cleaned up alright considering it was my first attempt... I should note, the before pictures were taken by the ebay seller, and yes, that is a blade that was shipped in the razor. Both of them actually had blades in them. Thankfully, I noticed before they were shipped so I expected it.

Before:

RDPOE, amazing job on the SS. It looks almost new. From the before pics, I would have guessed it would have heavy pitting around the handle on the bottom of the blade tray, but it looks like you lucked out. Thanks for sharing!:thumbup1:

1944 British Army issue (I've been told)

Before

proxy.php

proxy.php

After

proxy.php

I'm guessing it's galvanised steel. Or was. I may have removed the upper layer to make it shiny. :blushing:
Don't really know why I did this as it's definitely not a keeper.
Shaves okay-ish but I'm stuck in the TTO camp.

PIF. Soon.

Picked this one up at a flea market yesterday. It was marked $3, and when I went to check out, the lady told me everything from this vendor's stall was 30% off!:w00t:
Before pics:

I have a new one to add to this fantastic thread.

I live on the Delmarva Peninsula, where the water is notoriously hard (for those without water softeners),:thumbsup: so all the antique store and flea market finds are pretty filthy.

To aid in the clean-up of the "oldies-but-goodies" (and prep for the re-plating I plan on performing myself) I purchased an ultrasonic cleaner.

Let me say that this thing rocks the house. A few couple minute soaks have the dingiest looking razors looking much cleaner.

These are some before shots of a Z3 Super Speed Flare tip I picked up last week. Note the hard water/soap scum build-up.

proxy.php

I thought this shot was clearer when I took it. You can see some of the hard water stains under the silo doors.
proxy.php

Hard water. Rust. Bubble marks. You want it? This picture has it all.
proxy.php

I could barely make out the Z on the bottom plate. There's a bunch of other hard water marks here too.
proxy.php

Here's a before of the case. It has some sticker residue and is overall kind of dull looking.
proxy.php

Now for some after shots!

I tried to keep them framed the same as the originals, but the point of focus (POF) is different on a couple of them. This is one that I wish showed the handle better. It cleaned up beautifully!
proxy.php

The scale of hard water...gone. And a little MAAS goes a long way.
proxy.php

The hard water, bubble stains, and the rest are history here too!
proxy.php

Not only can you clearly make out the "Z" here now, everything else is perfectly legible!
proxy.php

Ultrasonic cleaners work great on plastic too! This case looks shiny and spotless. The sticker residue evaporated completely from the case.
proxy.php

The happy couple.
proxy.php

If anyone is debating on whether or not to purchase an Ultrasonic Cleaner...debate no more! It's great on tons of items. I've already used mine for jewelry, watches and this razor, but there are TONS of other uses. CD/DVDs, glasses/sunglasses, dentures/retainers etc.

I'll get off my soap box.

Enjoy the photos,
Dave

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nice TV Special case, Dave. I suppose you know that is for the 1958 D3 razor.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

Doug,

I didn't know that was a TV Special case. Thanks for the info. Now I have to find 58 TV Special to go with the case...and a '54 case to go with my Z3. RAD...RCAD. SWMBO won't be happy.

Thanks for the info,
Dave

Once I started to get into Vintage razors, I went out and bought myself a nice Ultrasonic cleaner. I works beautifully on the adjustable Slims and Fatboys. It loosens the adjustment system to make it work like it was new.

Scrubbing Bubbles and a soft toothbrush, followed by 5 to 10 mins of Ultrasonic. The if need be a final buff with Flits and even Simichrome and the razor looks real nice.

Once you have one, you will find tons of uses for it. Nice way to spend $60.

Here's a 1940's style Gillette Super Speed I picked up this weekend at a Flea Market in Laurel, DE.

It's suffering from the ever-so-common missing end caps. I'll either have to buy a donor 40's SS (which is pointless since it will most likely be in better condition than this one anyway) or have some made.

Here we go!

BEFORE

Front of the razor with point of focus (POF) on handle. I screwed this up again. The after's POF is on the head.
proxy.php

Side shot with hard water stains, price tag sticker residue, pitting on top, and some solder stained end cap missing sides.
proxy.php

Shot of the bottom plate. Hard water et. al.
proxy.php

Inside of head. Hard water, corrosion and other assorted gunk.
proxy.php

Close up of missing end cap area. Solder stain that will be "de-soldered".
proxy.php

AFTER

Tried to make the same shots as above. Same order. Just cleaner.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Just like the last one, this one saw the ultrasonic and some MAAS. It's going to be a bear find some end caps, but I know what to look for next time. For $4.00 I think it cleaned up very well.

Clean shaves to you,
Dave

Top Bottom