What's new

Before and After Cleaning thread

Just spent the afternoon with a bottle of Flitz and some rags. Got me some shiny razors.
$IMG_0168.jpg

Thanks!!! 30 minutes with some scrubbing bubbles and a little Maas will do wonders. It could polish out better yet I think, but that's where I usually start to get into trouble.

I've done a couple of red tips that looked like this. IMO, they have some of the best plating I've seen. That's why I went ahead and took a chance on it.

Blooze, I think I would have used a hazmat suit before touching that red tip before. Man that thing sure cleaned up nice. Great job.

I'm often amazed by what I find after the scrubbing bubbles work their magic, but I have to say, that beats anything I've seen.

This Type B Schick shined up nice. Now I need to figure out how to clean up the leather carrying case.
$IMG_0293.jpg
$IMG_0413.jpg
$IMG_0411.jpg

Case looks good, get some saddle soap or something similar and work it over, and if you are not happy with the results, work it over again a couple days later.

Nicly done on the razor.
Phil

this is a great thread. but im curious as to what cleaner is best/cheapest? (for non gold razors)
i scrubbed a couple of estate sale finds the other night with bon ami, and it cleaned them up a little. but i want the to shine!
too late for the before. just look at any one of the 3 piece razors pictured here, its pretty much the same thing.

Check out the wiki here for a start. There are also various threads on cleaning suggestions. You can run a search for those.

(BTW. Bon Ami is probably not the best choice for cleaning/polishing a razor--too abrasive.)

Here are three that I'm really happy with.

Bought this batch of four off the bay for $15.45, the Valet was trashed and that's fine as I didn't really want it anyway. The other three as you can see looked really gross. Here's the before pics from the ebay seller.
full

And here is the after-
full

The Krona is in good shape less some bite marks on the TTO knob and some brassing, it's too mild for me but sure is smooth.
The Slim is pretty much prsitine except for slight paint missing from the 7 and 9 spots.
The short comb NEW was gross as hell and didn't have any gold wash left but it cleaned up great, no bent or broken teeth, good threads and NO cracks in the handle. It's an excellent shaver also.

I'm very happy with what I got.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a pile of razors to clean up in a lot off the 'bay, so I asked the wife if she had an ultrasonic cleaner for her jewelry. "No, but I sure wish that I did." 'Nuff said, honey, I'm going to get one on order for you today!

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but any recent before and afters??? I found this thread amazing!! It's making me think twice about passing on some grunge pieces on the bay....

Great clean-up. I'm surprised how good you got the box to look. I'm new, but i hope eventually i will be able to do some great work like this.

Top Bottom