What's new

BBS - not worth it

Well this morning I did my usual 3 pass shave, the same that many of you probably do, with the extra go overs for spots missed or to even out the smoothness. I had never given much thought to whether I had achieved DFS or BBS as long as my face felt smooth
But today, after reading countless times of people achieving BBS and doing so after 2 or 3 passes I decided to give extra passes. Well, the extra passes gave me a true glass like skin feeling for the first time. And no, shaving with that many passes is just not worth it for me.
I have a feeling that many of those who say they achieve BBS after a few passes and just many why who think they do may have, like me, gotten a very nice DFS. All I know is the effort to get to BBS is for me not worth it

Agreed.

No matter how many passes I do, the time isn't worth it; my shadow comes back the moment I turn from the mirror anyway. I get a DFS that I'm happy with in one pass and the occasional touch-up.

Because of the grain of my beard, I do a four-pass shave. I rarely need to do any touch ups and I usually get a BBS shave. The only place I don't get a BBS shave is on my mustache area - and that's fine with me.

I don't chase the BBS like I did when I first started out. Like others have said it doesn't last much longer than a DFS. I do 3 passes and that's good enough. If I try to get greedy and go for some extra touch-up/buffing it's almost certain I will wind up irritating my skin (and possibly needing to take a day or two off).

When I see the various descriptions for a close shave my eyes just glaze over. :) I don't really get the distinctions. I'm sure it's just an internet thing, right?

I get a close shave. Why would I shave otherwise? The hairs are coarser in the chin area so it's never going to feel the same as the cheeks but if there is no additional hair to cut, that's as close as you can get the chin area.

Usually I do 3 passes with no irritation but I don't necessarily go WTG, XTG, and ATG in all areas. If some direction would cause irritation, I don't do it. For me it's really not necessary to go left to right on the neck.

I could do 4 or 5 passes if I wanted to. There's nothing left to cut at that point.

This topic (BBS) is not really one I get. :)

I've never felt the ROI on a third pass was very good.

I've gone for aggressive razors that give me the results I want in 2 passes. But I do have to say, I'm getting results from at least one razor (Blackbird) on 2 passes that crush 3 passes on some milder razors.

I never got a BBS until i used the Astra SP blade, i used Schick superior chromium, Voskhod, personna lab blue, etc. and nothing, but with the Astra SP, perfect 3 pass BBS, i have 15 other blades to try in my blade sampler pack, but the point is that every skin and beard is diferent, keep looking for that "3 pass BBS shave blade/razor combo" you will find it

I've never felt the ROI on a third pass was very good.

I've gone for aggressive razors that give me the results I want in 2 passes. But I do have to say, I'm getting results from at least one razor (Blackbird) on 2 passes that crush 3 passes on some milder razors.

Yes, I think you have a point here ... Depending on the razor I get much better one-pass shaves than with others.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Count me as another who has stopped "chasing the baby"!!! Depending on the equipment, I'll do a 2-pass plus touch-up, or a full 3rd pass and maybe a spot-touch-up. Sometimes I'll catch the baby inadvertently, but most of the time it's a DFS -- which is fine for me.

I began wet shaving because I have very sensitive skin and prone to a lot of ingrown hairs, and was seeking a solution to my problems.

Wet shaving drastically reduced my issues and provided for a much better shave than carts. However, getting the BBS often resulted in those same ingrown hairs I was trying to avoid.

I'm more than content with a DFS and vastly mitigated skin concerns

My goal is almost always the best possible shave I can get. There are times when certain variables dictate the best shave for that day won't be the best ever because of time, but I enjoy when I can take a leisurely shave.

Because of the grain of my beard, I do a four-pass shave. I rarely need to do any touch ups and I usually get a BBS shave. The only place I don't get a BBS shave is on my mustache area - and that's fine with me.

My brotha. I thought I was all alone here. From the passes to the stache...we are twinsies.

For me-
  • Parker 94R + Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum- two pass BBS.
  • RR GC .84 + Rapira Platinum Lux- three pass BBS.

Beyond a certain point nobody but you will notice or care how close your shave is. I've gotten used to doing a three pass shave and coming out pretty smooth. Its a routine now that takes about ten minutes. Its actually harder to get a shave I'm comfortable with in two passes.

Top Bottom