What's new

Basically, what is a Gillette Milord?

Is a Milord actually just a Superspeed painted gold? When did they make them? Does anyone have a review of them? Do you like them? They sure are a nice looking razor.

Yes, a Milord is essentially a gold-plated Super Speed. They were made pre-WWII (when it was a gold-plated Ranger Tech), then again after WWII when the Super Speed was introduced.

BTW Mat, that was funny:biggrin:

Real Gold? plated.

Yes Gillette used real gold to plate their razors. Unfortunately the plating is only about 1 atom thick and is coated by a clear finish that turns orange over time.
The gold usually wears through first where the doors rub against your face and areas where a person grips the handles.
BTW. Milords are very nice shavers.
Bob.

I've read great things about the SuperSpeeds, so those ones (which are merely Gold Superspeeds) must be pretty good.

I do not use DE's any more but if I did a SS would always be in the rotation. I would keep the Milord cuz it is purddy

I have and use one that belonged to my uncle. It's all I've really used so have nothing else to compare it too, but it seems to work quite well for me. Gentle but very effective. Now working through some blades.

in older threats we say, the left one is a Milord and the right one is a Milord pre WWII. But I never seen a no notched Milord. The left one we called Milord is notched and the right one we called pre WWII Milord is no notched! I don´t understand this. :confused:

in older threats we say, the left one is a Milord and the right one is a Milord pre WWII. But I never seen a no notched Milord. The left one we called Milord is notched and the right one we called pre WWII Milord is no notched! I don´t understand this. :confused:

Interesting observation Achim, I didn't realize they came in two versions like that. Do you have the case for it?
Here's a notched Milord, with its original case:

I have the same case with cream-colored dispenser. Looks like the same from the Krumholz book page 256. Krumholz said on page 243: "The Milord ... was handled similary to the Sheraton. It was packed with five Blue Blades in a Textol-covered metal case." Have anybody seen this case from the 1941 Milord? I think what we see on the first pic from upper left to down right is that:

1937 Sheraton
1941 Milord
1948 Milord
1938 Senator
1941 Rancher Tech
1948 Superspeed

I have the same case with cream-colored dispenser. Looks like the same from the Krumholz book page 256. Krumholz said on page 243: "The Milord ... was handled similary to the Sheraton. It was packed with five Blue Blades in a Textol-covered metal case." Have anybody seen this case from the 1941 Milord? I think what we see on the first pic from upper left to down right is that:

1937 Sheraton
1941 Milord
1948 Milord
1938 Senator
1941 Rancher Tech
1948 Superspeed

Excellent work- research and pics! I am taking notes....!

Top Bottom