What's new

Barbour Waxed Coats?

I have owned several waxed jackets over the years but have never owned a Barbour as they were always a bit expensive for me. Nice jackets and they do improve with age of course.

I currently own a couple of Drizabone's and love them. The ones I have are unlined which I prefer as I can always wear a jumper underneath when it gets colder, but can also wear it in warmer weather without the jumper. I've rewaxed the oldest a couple of times and they just get better. I bought them direct from Australia over the interweb and they worked out much cheaper that way as you can double the price if you buy from British retailers!

Quite a few years ago, a colleague of mine had a nice Barbour and it was breaking in nicely. He was still living at home at the time and one day his mother decided the jacket was looking a bit grubby so slung it through the washing machine!

Completely ruined it! He was gutted...

Also I can recommend that Scottish company, Hoggs. Don't own any of their waxed jackets but I've had trousers, shirts, shoes etc from them and they are very well made.

Gareth

I just ordered the Hoggs Woodsman Waxed Jacket. I couldn't buy a true weather jacket in stores in my area approaching that price.

Unlike sunny L.A., we do get our share of rain up here in winter, and SWMBO had appropriated my previous rain jacket.

Thanks again B&B, you always come through!

I just ordered the Hoggs Woodsman Waxed Jacket. I couldn't buy a true weather jacket in stores in my area approaching that price.

Unlike sunny L.A., we do get our share of rain up here in winter, and SWMBO had appropriated my previous rain jacket.

Which retailer did you use?

I am looking forward to your impressions.:thumbup1:

Me, too.

I found a gently used Barbour Border on Ebay(with liner) for about a quarter of the price of the new one. I will try it out to see if I like the Barbour coats.:thumbup:

Hoggs told me via email that they suspected the integral liner of their coat might be TOO much for the rather warmish weather where I live.

Last edited:
Hoggs told me via email that they suspected the integral liner of their coat might be TOO much for the rather warmish weather where I live.

If the temp is above 10 degrees C, I find the Hoggs jacket can be a bit too warm to wear with a shirt AND jumper/suit jacket...particularly if you're moving round a lot (remember, they're not breathable like GoreTex or other modern synthetic fabrics).

Here's my Barbour Border. I really like it. :thumbup1:

Thanks for all the great advice and input, gents.

proxy.php

I've had a Barbour Gamefair for probably twenty years.. maybe more... Just can't kill it, but I reproof it often.
I don't think this model is made anymore, but it's been perfect for my usage.

Anyone looking for the Driazabone-RM Williams - Akubra triple shot... "Man from Snowy River" style :lol: - nungar.com.au would be a good place to start looking

It isn't waxed, but I have a Barbour Wool Sapper jacket that I use into the early winter. The quality is great, and it is quite sharp looking - strangers have stopped to ask me where I got my coat!

I've been wearing the Barbour almost every day and I am really liking its versatility. Makes a great rain coat and general knocking about jacket, and so far I haven't even needed the liner. The temps haven't really dropped much below freezing even at night around here.

The two big internal poacher pockets have come in handy when walking into the house with an armload of groceries or what have you. The pockets do hold a fifth of good cheer quite well. :sneaky2:

Great coat. :thumbup1:

I've received the jacket and am impressed with the workmanship. In looks this is very similar to the Barbour Border model.

Two things I note immediately: it smells like clay. This must be the wax coating. I've worn it (with the attached hood up) during a walk in the rain, about 30 minutes duration, and it performed like a champ.

The zipper is 'backwards' from what Americans might be used to. The zipper tab is on the left. European-style, I suppose? This isn't a deal-breaker by any means but a little awkward for me to get used to. I wanted to note this for the record for other Yank rubes like myself who might not be aware of that.

So far: :thumbup1:

The zipper is 'backwards' from what Americans might be used to. The zipper tab is on the left. European-style, I suppose? This isn't a deal-breaker by any means but a little awkward for me to get used to. I wanted to note this for the record for other Yank rubes like myself who might not be aware of that.

Ahh, you mean it's on the correct side!:lol:

I have a couple of Drizabone short coats which are excellent but they are all back to front to me with the overlap at the front having the right over the left, which is the women's way to me! That does take some getting used to.

Gareth

Bumping this thread with a recent acquisition...

Behold the Barbour Lutz waxed jacket... I already have the quilted version but could not resist adding this as well. The fit is more tailored vs the traditional Barbour jackets (Bedale, Beuford...) and fits like a suitcoat. It's not baggy or frumpy like some of the Barbours and actually looks nice over a shirt and tie. It is a more functional jacket than the Beacon Sport Commander but I have a feeling I'll be adding that jacket to the collection as well.

proxy.php

Top Bottom