What's new

Barbasol With Lanolin

Just used the yellow can of barbasol with my 41' ranger tech and a shark super chrome. Followed it up with a cold water rinse, a touch of witch hazel, and a splash of aqua velva classic ice blue. I got a close comfortable shave that was almost bbs, and my face feels great. Wonder if my dad got a shave like this back in the fifties and sixties using his flaretip superspeed, and gillette lemon/lime foamy?.

Clayton

Probably.

I, too, have heard a lot of good things about the Barbasol in the yellow can (with lanolin). Good to know you have a go-to when time is tight.

I really like the Barbasol yellow, I can get the larger can in my area from the dollar store. I use it both for a whisker softener when I use a soap, or mixed cream. Also, I use it in my Conair hot lather machine when I'm pressed for time. In both capacities it has performed great, whichever TTO razor, blade combo I decide to use. Lately really enamored with a 56' red tip, with American platinum chrome Personnas. As far as canned creams go, Barbasol Yellow is great.

I got 2 cans of the Red and I will have to get some Yellow next time it is on Sale. It is great for those quick and dirty shaves. I also cheat and use a 2 blade Shick blue handled Disposal Razor. Yea it gives me good results when I do the proper prep. :thumbup:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Before starting wet-shaving I used Barbasol in yellow can many times with superb results.
I still believe that this high moisturising foam is perfect for quick shaves when you do not have time enough for a quality wet-shave.

Agreed, I've never had a problem with Barbasol. I recently bought the Lanolin can and it was good. Also, this morning was my first shave with Barbasol Ultra foam. It was surprisingly good. Nice and slippery. More testing to continue...

What is it about Barbasol that makes it better than all the other "canned goop"? The general attitude about canned shaving cream around here is, "IT ALL SUCKS! WHY WOULD YOU BUY THAT?? WILLIAMS IS RIGHT THERE NEXT TO IT ON THE SHELF YOU ***!...but Barbasol really isn't bad," and I agree. My two cans of shaving cream are Barbasol (mini can of standard for travel, and a Lanolin can), and it's what I've used ever since my dad gave me some when my peach fuzz started to darken in junior high. Every once in a while I would buy something else but it all sucked compared to Barbasol.

Seriously, what makes it different?

OK, upon further inspection of the ingredient list, and looking up all the chemical names on Wikipedia since I suck at chemistry, it seems that Barbasol is basically a sort of soap and water mixture (with some thickener) that gets turned into a foamy lather when it's forced through the nozzle by the aerosol gas. So, unlike however the hell gels work, this is basically a quick and dirty way of doing what you'd do with your brush anyway. That's probably why it works so much better than the other canned stuff.

Even I know enough chemistry to know this description omits a lot (a couple of the ingredients are detergents, which are different from soap) so if someone could fill it in a bit that would be great.

What is it about Barbasol that makes it better than all the other "canned goop"? The general attitude about canned shaving cream around here is, "IT ALL SUCKS! WHY WOULD YOU BUY THAT??

Seriously, what makes it different?

You know, here at B&B shaving can sometimes be a "sport" and I guess there is some "one-upmanship" regarding products. Canned cream is usually derided here as basically unusable which I don't agree with.

For one, our dads and probably grandads used Barbasol, Foamy, Noxzema and a whole host of other creams and probably never gave it another thought. I really enjoyed the Colgate canned cream and loved it's scent along with Barbasol. I got good comfortable shaves with them for many years. Edge gel worked well but gunked up my razors enough that I went back to Barbasol and Foamy.

I think basically it's this---Barbasol is a good product. It's great in that it doesn't clog up a razor, and it delivers a very good if not, exciting or nostalgic shave. I agree with Chevyguy---Yellow Barbasol is a great product and I enjoy using it occasionally....

let the tomatoes and rotten vegetables fly---

Marty E.

Top Bottom