What's new

Barbacide how often should you use?

I don't have the can of worms gif, but I'm sure it will appear :001_tongu. That said, I use it on all my razors, loaded with a blade, before every shave, for ten minutes. All of them. And on any vintage razor I buy before first use. You will get a rainbow of responses, and it is totally not necessary - as you will read, but that's what I do. Barbicide is a great disinfectant, and won't harm most metal or finishes on any razor, used as directed. Anything that has the potential to penetrate my hide - and sometimes does - I want sterile or disinfected. Before I retired, in my practice I provided that level of care for my patients. It was a really good idea then, and it is now. YMMV.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Barbicide. I soaked my scissors and combs in it continually for years. It was to sterilize between customers. I don't see the need to use it on a razor that is only used by one person, but I would definitely use it on any razor I purchased pre owned.

Definitely good to use on any razors bought second hand. Other than that I soak mine every 2-3 months or so. Probably not necessary, but its part of the fun of a good shave den!

Barbicide. I soaked my scissors and combs in it continually for years. It was to sterilize between customers. I don't see the need to use it on a razor that is only used by one person, but I would definitely use it on any razor I purchased pre owned.
That was my thoughts! Does this stuff expire. My stuff doesn't have an expiry date on the bottle. But the internet says it does expire, I don't know! It's a commercial barbacide if that makes any difference.

FarmerTan

The only expiration that means anything is when you die when it comes to barbicide. It kills the AIDS virus. Most stuff lasts forever if stored properly.

It's hard to give yourself a skin disease; you are immune to yourself.

Barbicide is mostly to make yourself feel better by trying to be clean. Plus it smells good.

Interesting thread. I just purchased a vintage (old) Marvy brand glass Disinfectant & Germicide Jars for the den and I was thinking along the same lines of disinfecting every pre-owned razor etc.

I haven't looked for a source of Barbicide or Marvicide yet but I assume it's readily available.

FarmerTan

Interesting thread. I just purchased a vintage (old) Marvy brand glass Disinfectant & Germicide Jars for the den and I was thinking along the same lines of disinfecting every pre-owned razor etc.

I haven't looked for a source of Barbicide or Marvicide yet but I assume it's readily available.
Sally Beauty Supply .

The only expiration that means anything is when you die when it comes to barbicide. It kills the AIDS virus. Most stuff lasts forever if stored properly.

It's hard to give yourself a skin disease; you are immune to yourself.

Barbicide is mostly to make yourself feel better by trying to be clean. Plus it smells good.
Ok, so how is this stuff properly stored? I found nothing on that!

I Use 70% Isopropyl alcohol, most used by hospitals as well. You can get a big bottle for less than 2 bucks.

70% Isopropyl alcohol is a sanitizer that kills 99.999% of many, but not all, bacteria, viruses, and fungi, and in most cases it will do it within 10-30 seconds. This includes influenza (the flu), HIV, Hepatitis B and C, Herpes, E. coli, Streptococcus pyogenes (most well-known for causing strep throat), and Staphylococcus aureus (AKA staph), including the antibiotic-resistant version MRSA, both on surfaces and, in the early stages of infection, on skin.

I use it when I get a new to me razor, not sure about the expiration date, but mixed only has a recommended shelf life of 24 hours.

Active ingredient is benzyl ammonium chloride - unmixed in a sealed bottle it should last years. A mixed solution remains active until sufficient bioburden inactivates it, i.e., until it becomes "visibly contaminated." State regulations may require it to be changed daily in commercial use, but that doesn't mean the solution is ineffective - it's to provide the maximum possible protection for clients regardless of the practice of the vendor - stuffing the container full of instruments for example. As a practical matter for home use with minimal contamination, I swap out the solution every couple of weeks.

Active ingredient is benzyl ammonium chloride - unmixed in a sealed bottle it should last years. A mixed solution remains active until sufficient bioburden inactivates it, i.e., until it becomes "visibly contaminated." State regulations may require it to be changed daily in commercial use, but that doesn't mean the solution is ineffective - it's to provide the maximum possible protection for clients regardless of the practice of the vendor - stuffing the container full of instruments for example. As a practical matter for home use with minimal contamination, I swap out the solution every couple of weeks.
Well that is really good to know. I'm just going to take it as keeping the barbacide at room temperature is probably best!

I Use 70% Isopropyl alcohol, most used by hospitals as well. You can get a big bottle for less than 2 bucks.

70% Isopropyl alcohol is a sanitizer that kills 99.999% of many, but not all, bacteria, viruses, and fungi, and in most cases it will do it within 10-30 seconds. This includes influenza (the flu), HIV, Hepatitis B and C, Herpes, E. coli, Streptococcus pyogenes (most well-known for causing strep throat), and Staphylococcus aureus (AKA staph), including the antibiotic-resistant version MRSA, both on surfaces and, in the early stages of infection, on skin.

The limitations of Isopropanol as a general all purpose disinfectant are that it is ineffective against bacterial and fungal spores, and it's highly flammable. It can also damage certain plastics and synthetic materials, and may be corrosive to aluminum alloys.

Well that is really good to know. I'm just going to take it as keeping the barbacide at room temperature is probably best!

Room temperature storage is fine, and there are a number of commercial glass vessels for Barbicide storage - often with a stainless steel "pickup" basket for that "barbershop look" in your bathroom! It can be stored in any glass vessel though, deep enough to cover whatever you're disinfecting. Note the term "disinfecting," because it doesn't actually terminally sterilize anything - high heat steam sterilization or ethylene oxide is required for that. There's also the consideration for disposal, which is regulated by state law frequently, but again more for commercial use. As a practical matter for example though, if you have a septic tank it may not be ideal to dump it down the drain, but normal disposal of small quantities into the sewage system isn't more harmful than most of the other chemicals we routinely dump - drain cleaner, bleach, insecticides in runoff, etc.

Top Bottom