What's new

Baratza + Technivorn = Heaven

Great choice on your daily joe set up.

My set up is similar to yours except I have the Maestro grinder (the model below yours) and a commercial Bunn brewer for my daily cuppa. After it is finished brewing, I transfer the coffee to a Bunn air pot where it stays warm most of the day.

Out of all the drip brewers I have owned, I have found that the commercial Bunn brewers are the best. A little large for most home kitchens but the water temp, water delivery system, brew time, and heat-up/recovery time is far better and more consistent pot to pot than any of the others I have tried.

proxy.php

In the past when I used drip machines, coffee oils would accumulate and eventually turn rancid, tainting every cup. So I use pour-overs. Have you not experienced this problem with the Technivorm?

In the past when I used drip machines, coffee oils would accumulate and eventually turn rancid, tainting every cup. So I use pour-overs. Have you not experienced this problem with the Technivorm?
I have only had the technivorn for about a month, no problems.

Does your post-brewing care routine for pour-overs differ from that of auto drip? Prompt, judicious cleaning should counteract oils (as does a periodic Tabz soak).

I"m curious Henry what you mean. I run some vinegar through my De Longhi DCM-900 once a month or so but that's for descaling. Where would the oils build up? Water comes out of the spigot into the filter holder then coffee drips to the pot. I clean the filter and holder plus the pot every cycle. Mine's a more handsome knockoff of the Technivorm. Am I missing something?

The plastic water tank on mine would always end up with black particles, and an oily substance that ended up caked on because it was full of the same black particles. It's probably splash that comes from the filter basket or other accidents, though I never did figure out how it could get in there past the tank lid. The only way to clean it was with a brush, or a sponge on a stick (or wrapped around a spoon). But plastic's hard to clean, so it eventually means getting rid of the thing or living with it. It takes many months of daily use to get bad, but once it starts, it recurs much faster. All my drip machines ended up like that, though I only had a few brands. Ancient history for me, though I have considered another electric from time to time.

Does your post-brewing care routine for pour-overs differ from that of auto drip? Prompt, judicious cleaning should counteract oils (as does a periodic Tabz soak).

Yes and no. The parts that came in direct contact with the coffee were cleaned immediate after brewing - just like my pour-overs. The machine itself, once a month with vinegar.

I"m curious Henry what you mean. I run some vinegar through my De Longhi DCM-900 once a month or so but that's for descaling. Where would the oils build up? Water comes out of the spigot into the filter holder then coffee drips to the pot. I clean the filter and holder plus the pot every cycle. Mine's a more handsome knockoff of the Technivorm. Am I missing something?

That was pretty much my maintenance routine as well. When I couldn't figure it out, I gave up on drip.

The plastic water tank on mine would always end up with black particles, and an oily substance that ended up caked on because it was full of the same black particles. It's probably splash that comes from the filter basket or other accidents, though I never did figure out how it could get in there past the tank lid. The only way to clean it was with a brush, or a sponge on a stick (or wrapped around a spoon). But plastic's hard to clean, so it eventually means getting rid of the thing or living with it. It takes many months of daily use to get bad, but once it starts, it recurs much faster. All my drip machines ended up like that, though I only had a few brands. Ancient history for me, though I have considered another electric from time to time.

Exactly.

One advantage (or disadvantage if your water is less than stellar) to the Bonavita and the Technivorm is that they both have clear water reservoirs. If something was floating around I would see it pretty quickly in either excellent brewer. I installed an under the sink filtration system feeding a dedicated drinking/cooking water spigot. Maybe this is why my reservoirs remain clear and free from black particles and build up.

That's why I ask ... I wouldn't mind a drip maker but don't want to drop $300 on one only to have it turn rancid after six months of use.

It's got nothing to do with the water. Somehow, wet grounds get through to the tank while the thing is brewing. It looks like it might be less of a problem with the technivorm because the tank is mostly separated from the basket side, but they're still connected. The answer is to have something that comes completely apart, including all the little connecting pieces, so that everything can be cleaned, including any connecting tubes. Also, plastic sucks.

It's got nothing to do with the water. Somehow, wet grounds get through to the tank while the thing is brewing. It looks like it might be less of a problem with the technivorm because the tank is mostly separated from the basket side, but they're still connected. The answer is to have something that comes completely apart, including all the little connecting pieces, so that everything can be cleaned, including any connecting tubes. Also, plastic sucks.
The SS arm on the Technivorm does come apart. I can't see how anything would get in the water tank form the coffee basket.

That's why I ask ... I wouldn't mind a drip maker but don't want to drop $300 on one only to have it turn rancid after six months of use.
You can roll the dice like I did and get the DeLonghi DCM-900 for like $50. Super easy to keep clean.

Mine still going strong after 15 months. I think most people didn't put the pot RIGHT under the dripper mechanism and caused the overflow and shorting. When they were $44 a piece bought 2 just in case.

It's been posted here before; there are more recent models that compete directly with the Technivorm for much less (like the Bonavita) and it doesnt' seem to address what exactly makes those models different from traditional thermoblock models.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep following this trying to understand about the grounds/gunk back flowing into the boiler tank. I don't think I have ever had this issue with a Bunn. The last one I had (air pot brewer) for 15 years and when I sold it there were no issues at all (flowed crystal clear water through the brew cycle). I would still have it except the wife was on me for drinking 2.5 liters of coffee a day so I bought the smaller single pot one and only drink 2 liters a day now :lol:

This is the older air pot brewer I had before getting the smaller brewer

proxy.php

Top Bottom