What's new

Baratza + Technivorn = Heaven

I asked a few week back about a coffee grinder to go along with my technivorn coffee maker.

I saw a big improvement in the flavor of the coffee when I purchased the coffee maker, there was definitely less bitterness and more flavor from the coffee. I used to buy my coffee at a specialty shop and had them grind the coffee for me. I noticed a big improvement in the taste of the coffee the first day after it was ground, but that flavor did decrease with time. I had an epiphany-must be FRESHLY ground to get the most out of the bean.

I researched and bought the Baratza Virtuoso and could not be happier. The machine is very easy to use, provides very consistent grind, fast, relatively quiet. I have not tried it for espresso but I read it can be used.

I have tried several grind levels and settled on a grind of 15, this provides the best flavor and depth for my taste.

Pics or it never happened.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Very good set up there - I picked up a Technivorm style brewer recently too. Combined with the Baratza it is capable of making very good coffee - enjoy!

Nice setup! Do you typically use the timer knob to control how much to grind, or pulse out what you need? I am just curious how you like this aspect of the grinder.

It's a big grinder! Since I only make a couple of coffees each day in the morning, I use a smaaal grinder like this:
$Inox-85.jpg

For the best experience, consider using mineral water and storing the coffee beans in the fridge. ;)

Nice setup! Do you typically use the timer knob to control how much to grind, or pulse out what you need? I am just curious how you like this aspect of the grinder.
I have been using the timer, I set it below what I need and pulse the rest. I wish the coffee collection area was clear to see hoe much coffee in ground.

I have been using the timer, I set it below what I need and pulse the rest. I wish the coffee collection area was clear to see hoe much coffee in ground.
I would recommend you use a scale - weigh the beans and the water. 60g coffee per 1000g water or any multiple of this (500ml and 30g beans for example) - this gives repeatable results.

It's a big grinder! Since I only make a couple of coffees each day in the morning, I use a smaaal grinder like this:
View attachment 262278

For the best experience, consider using mineral water and storing the coffee beans in the fridge. ;)

Yikes! I'm sorry, I try to leave room for preference/taste, but there's some bad advice here. Mineral water is very hard and will cause buildup in the plumbing of the machine and severely impact performance, or at least the regularity with which you need to do serious cleaning -- not to mention taste! If you're going to buy water, you can't beat Spring water. It's got the right mineral content (not too hard and not too soft), so it will be easy on your machine and gives your coffee a neutral canvas on which to paint flavor. And it's cheap.

Also, one should never store coffee in the fridge - that's about the worse place, actually. Coffee should be stored at room temperature, out of direct light and heat, in an air tight container (from 24-48 hours after roasting). If you buy so much coffee that you can't drink it within two weeks of its roast date, consider freezing half of it in an airtight container, but exactly once. You don't want to put it in and out of the fridge or freezer, but you can prolong freshness by freezing some of it until you can get to it. When you get nearly through the first half, pull the second half out and let it thaw overnight before brewing (and then store it as stated above). I've tested this with home roasted beans - I would recommend waiting at least 24 hrs after roasting before freezing (48, even better).

I would recommend you use a scale - weigh the beans and the water. 60g coffee per 1000g water or any multiple of this (500ml and 30g beans for example) - this gives repeatable results.
Will give it a try, thanks.

Yikes! I'm sorry, I try to leave room for preference/taste, but there's some bad advice here. Mineral water is very hard and will cause buildup in the plumbing of the machine and severely impact performance, or at least the regularity with which you need to do serious cleaning -- not to mention taste! If you're going to buy water, you can't beat Spring water. It's got the right mineral content (not too hard and not too soft), so it will be easy on your machine and gives your coffee a neutral canvas on which to paint flavor. And it's cheap.

Also, one should never store coffee in the fridge - that's about the worse place, actually. Coffee should be stored at room temperature, out of direct light and heat, in an air tight container (from 24-48 hours after roasting). If you buy so much coffee that you can't drink it within two weeks of its roast date, consider freezing half of it in an airtight container, but exactly once. You don't want to put it in and out of the fridge or freezer, but you can prolong freshness by freezing some of it until you can get to it. When you get nearly through the first half, pull the second half out and let it thaw overnight before brewing (and then store it as stated above). I've tested this with home roasted beans - I would recommend waiting at least 24 hrs after roasting before freezing (48, even better).

+1 with one caveat

The person posting is from Italy where mineral water means something different than it does in the USA. I bet you both mean the same thing.

Welcome to B&B International.

Last edited:

I agree. I recently started using a scale to weight out 60g of ground coffee per pot. Made a huge difference. I quickly figured out the right setting in my Capresso burr grinder to produce the correct amount of coffee. I also have a Technivorm and I love it!

Nick

+1 with one caveat

The person posting is from Italy where mineral water means something different than it does in the USA. I bet you both mean the same thing.

Welcome to B&B International.

Oh! They say you learn something every day (I'm waiting for the day when I learn who 'they' are). Know your water is the moral of the story, I suppose. But what goes for mineral water here (sparkling notwithstanding) would be trouble!

:) Sorry for the misunderstanding, my fault. Mineral for us means bottled, that is, not the tap water, and it's not necessarily sparkling.

:) Sorry for the misunderstanding, my fault. Mineral for us means bottled, that is, not the tap water, and it's not necessarily sparkling.

Oh, we have mineral water (which can be sparkling or not), then there's spring water (and even artesian spring water), then purified (processed tap) water, and eventually distilled water. Some purified water is fine for coffee/tea, but ultimately, the consensus seems to be that spring is best. You'd want to steer clear of (American) mineral or distilled water as a rule.

Another vote for the scale! It has made a HUGE difference in my coffee.
I got this for super cheap and it's versatile enough to use for my small BST packages, baking, etc. Grams, ounces etc. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RF3XJ2/ref=wms_ohs_product 10 year warranty? heck yeah.

It tares out easily with the receptacle, add coffee to desired weight and dump it into the grinder. I was schooled on here not to keep the beans in the grinder.
I just keep them in the bags rolled up tight and use a spoon to get what I need to keep the good gas in the bag.

Looks like a nice setup. Now it's just to find out what beans to use
Thank you.

As far as beans I have been getting great beans from a local roaster.

Made the coffee with morning using my kitchen scale, and you gents were dead on, great, great coffee.

Top Bottom