What's new

Baratza Purchased - Roasted Coffee Recommendations?

Get a bonavita drip brewer; it's super affordable and the 8 cup one is endorsed by the SCAA, Specialty Coffee Association of America. http://scaa.org/?page=cert2

You're lucky to have so many great roasters in your backyard. I have to roast my own if I want anything decent or less than $25 a pound where I'm at.

Get a bonavita drip brewer; it's super affordable and the 8 cup one is endorsed by the SCAA, Specialty Coffee Association of America. http://scaa.org/?page=cert2

You're lucky to have so many great roasters in your backyard. I have to roast my own if I want anything decent or less than $25 a pound where I'm at.

+1 on the Bonavita as a great value. It's my daily driver here in FL. Coffee is close to the Technivorm I use at home.

You need one that will heat the water enough to make good coffee.

Run your Mr. coffee and stick an instant read thermo in the coffee stream as it leaves the basket.

You should see 190-195 which equates to around 200 degrees coming out of the boiler. The temp should stay stable through out the brew cycle.

If you don't get a reading that high or it goes down during brewing, descale using a 2 tbl of citric acid to a carafe of cold water through the machine.

IF after descaling you still can't get a high enough temp, you need to look for a new machine.

If you have good stable brew temps, rinse your filter with hot water before you add the grounds, then take the pre-warmed basket with grounds to the machine and brew right away.

Finally got around to monitoring the temperature of my old 5 cup Mr. Coffee this past Friday. Water hovered at 197 as it entered the basket for the entire brew, not wavering more than a couple degrees.

Ran a full cycle of water through her as I ground the last of my Ipsento El Salvador at an 18 on the Encore this morning then brewed about 4 cups using the wire filter. Might not have been quite to the level of the Aeropress, but the coffee was very good and I loved being able to take all 4 cups in my Stanley thermos to work. Plenty of visible oil in the cups I had at my desk.

A great internet beanery is Red Bird. They roast it and ship it out to you within a few days. I've been buying from them for the past few years for my espresso beans along with some of their brew varieties also. Very fresh and pricing is reasonable with free shipping. As far as using an auto drip (instead of buying a new one) as said above, warm your filter/basket along with your carafe and cup/thermos. I have a (n old) Cuisinart drip machine, and I heat the water in a tea kettle to 150-160* and then pour it in the Cuisinart to lessen the load on the heaters. I'm very pleased with the results. Good luck!!

Top Bottom