What's new

Bar Soap that doesn't feel like it strips all the oil off your skin?

L'occitane sells some great soaps. My fav from them was discontinued many years ago though :( half almond/half clementine orange.

I was gifted beekman soaps last year. very nice bars.

Dove is quite good. Supposedly each bar is something like 1/3 moisturizer. I used to use it when I still used bar soap and it always left my skin feeling moisturzing and not tight feeling like some of the cheaper bar soaps did.

I recently stumbled across a cucumber scented soap in my local Tesco, which has started stocking loads of different brand soaps as most people went a bit nutty about stockpiling the Palmolive and Cusson’s Carex antibacterial hand soap gel with the advent of Covid. The stockpiling is not quite so bad now.

Anyway, Himalaya Herbals Refreshing Soap is worth a try if you can get some. They’re flogging it for £1 a bar here.
314CCA7E-CD08-4ACA-9511-82A665A4403B.jpeg

Another non-drying old favourite bar soap, which is worth a try if you can get it, is Pears Transparent Soap. Legendary stuff. My grandmother always had Imperial Leather.
1F7EA965-C0D4-4C38-86AE-AE105F10BD29.jpeg

We always had Pears at home when I was growing up.

I wouldn't say I'm sensitive to soaps, I dont get inflamed or irritation in that regard, but I feel like every bar soap I've tried strips the oils off of my skin.

I've been using Old Spice Body Wash for a long time. Other various body washes on occasion too. But I've never had great luck with bar soap.

Any suggestions? I know there's Dove, but even that didn't seem great.
Try a real soap, not a detergent bar. Dove is not soap.

Dove and Pears are not soaps. As mentioned above cauldron made Savon de Marseille, Aleppo and Nablus are genuine artisan sosps. Not all Savon de Marseille are artisan made, but the more commercial ones are just as great as the scented Italian and Portuguese soaps from Varesino, Gori, Neste Dante, Claus Porto or Castelbel.

I recently stumbled across a cucumber scented soap in my local Tesco, which has started stocking loads of different brand soaps as most people went a bit nutty about stockpiling the Palmolive and Cusson’s Carex antibacterial hand soap gel with the advent of Covid. The stockpiling is not quite so bad now.

Anyway, Himalaya Herbals Refreshing Soap is worth a try if you can get some. They’re flogging it for £1 a bar here. View attachment 1104960
Another non-drying old favourite bar soap, which is worth a try if you can get it, is Pears Transparent Soap. Legendary stuff. My grandmother always had Imperial Leather.View attachment 1104961
We always had Pears at home when I was growing up.
Soap does not require Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.

719UZrHCScL._SL1500_.jpg

I use Coast. It's actually a soap and doesn't dry my skin though I don't generally have a problem in that department. Smells good too!
image.jpeg

I don't think there's much I can do about what goes in to the product Sabre. It's beyond my control I'm afraid.
Perhaps try contacting Pears and tell them? Contact - https://www.pearspuresince1807.com/us/contact-us
Conidering the artistic licence of the their web address, I will pass. I have 50 original Pears soaps from the 80's. I know what pure Pear soap feels like, the ill informed can continue to use the garbage. I use Droyts as an alternative.

If you have a Turkish market nearby, I suggest you look for their version of Aleppo soap, called "Defne Soap" (Defne = Laurel) like the one below. It's generally hand made using only olive oil, lye, laurel leaves oil and salt. In Turkey I buy it by the kilo for 2-3 dollars and they last a long time.

muftuoglu-daphne-zeytinyagli-defne-sabunu-531x380.jpg

It's great as a shampoo as well. I used to have intense hair loss and folliculites but after discovering these soaps my scalp and hair are great.

If you have a Turkish market nearby, I suggest you look for their version of Aleppo soap, called "Defne Soap" (Defne = Laurel) like the one below. It's generally hand made using only olive oil, lye, laurel leaves oil and salt. In Turkey I buy it by the kilo for 2-3 dollars and they last a long time.

View attachment 1113787

It's great as a shampoo as well. I used to have intense hair loss and folliculites but after discovering these soaps my scalp and hair are great.
I have been buying Daphne soap for years, originally in Amsterdam then online. I just wasn't aware of the name. It doesn't appear to be cheaper than Aleppo. I bought a box from a shop in Brighton. I have a version from each end of the country.

I have been buying Daphne soap for years, originally in Amsterdam then online. I just wasn't aware of the name. It doesn't appear to be cheaper than Aleppo. I bought a box from a shop in Brighton. I have a version from each end of the country.
I just checked the order, Turkish Gemlik Olive Oil Soap and Turkish Ayvalik Olive Oil Soap.

I just checked the order, Turkish Gemlik Olive Oil Soap and Turkish Ayvalik Olive Oil Soap.

Gemlik is not far from Istanbul while Ayvalik is on the Aegean coast. They are regions that produce olive oil. However, The most traditional Daphne soap comes from Hatay, in the south of Turkey and not coincidently in the border with Syria. Hatay is only 60 miles away from Aleppo.

I've been using PAA soaps and they treat my skin pretty well. I have also used Kirk's soap with success.

The PAA's are most likely melt and pour soaps with additives. Kirk's is castille soap. You can also find cold process soap on Etsy and elsewhere I bet.

When I lived in Amsterdam, I could buy Daphne soap for €0.50 per bar whilst Aleppo was €6.00. Being a hoarder I bought lot's of both. Nablus soap was too expensive to order online. Now 10 years later, Daphne soap is the same price as Aleppo, despite the difficulties. Although I suspect most Aleppo soap is coming out of Jordan, Tunisia and even Turkey. Nablus soap is currently less expensive than Aleppo or Daphne soap. It's harder to lather but I ordered 6 bars.

Top Bottom