What's new

Badger Blends: Your Homemade Aftershave Mixes

Ad Astra

The Instigator
For those who can't leave well enough alone: I took Crusellas Vetiver, added more/different vetiver essential oil, added glycerin and castor oil to this once-weak, high-alcohol aftershave/cologne.

NOW it's worth a splash. Got antiseptic burn, complex smell and 2x moisturizer elements.

And to think some people just buy aftershave ... sheesh. :a4:

AA

[FONT=&amp]Aproxo[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]1 Part: Master Bay Rum
1 Part: Superior 70 Bay Rum
1 Part: Crusellas Kolonia 1800 Tobacco[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]This was my attempt to create Bootlegger’s Perfecto Virginia. Since Vito's Colonia Tobacco has become unobtainium, I had to substitute, and so I mixed up a batch using Crusellas Kolonia 1800 Tobacco, an inexpensive ‘cologne’ popular in Latin culture. OkieStubble generously sent me a sample of genuine Perfecto Virginia so I am able to compare. Where Perfecto has a citrus note, Aproxo is more of a musk and patchouli note, but still letting the bay rums shine through. I’ve considered adding a source of citrus aroma (Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic, Pinaud Eau de Portugal, Agustin Reyes Agua de Portugal) to see what happens, but for now, I’m happy with Aproxo.[/FONT]

I like this, but for the Master's. I'd have to substitute that particular ingredient, as it is so darned "sticky" on my skin, it feels like contact cement.

I only have two scented aftershaves so far: Chiseled Face's "Ghost Town Barber", and Old Spice classic. The rest are basically unscented face lotions.

While I wanted to like Ghost Town Barber, I found it a bit too floral for my tastes, and it ended up getting forgotten on the shelf.
Then I nabbed a bottle of Old Spice classic on a whim. Love at first sniff. It has all the spicy notes I was looking for and smells timeless, but sadly lacks any of the leather notes that would've made it my hands-down favorite scent.
Then, I decided to take a splash of Old Spice, and mix it with a smaller splash of the more potent Ghost Town Barber.

Surprisingly, they covered each other's bases VERY well. The floral scent is nowhere to be found, but all of the earthy/leathery scents are still going strong. I'd say it smells like nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, and leather to my untrained nose. Like a sort of cowboy Christmas in a leather shop. :001_cool:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Surprisingly, they covered each other's bases VERY well. The floral scent is nowhere to be found, but all of the earthy/leathery scents are still going strong. I'd say it smells like nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, and leather to my untrained nose. Like a sort of cowboy Christmas in a leather shop. :001_cool:

That's what this mixing thing is all about. Sounds like you're a natural mixologist. :)

And lol'd at Cowboy Christmas.

This is a homemade concoction I affectionately labeled "GOD".
It's primarily a mix of witch hazel and aloe vera gel with traces (a few ml's) of allantoin, vitamin E, babassu oil, safflower oil and menthol.
The name came rather ... spontaneously after the first uses :)

To backtrack a little bit - I was having a hard time with my shaves before that (slight irritations from soaps mostly which turned into an itchy sensation on the face after shaving, lasting for hours). The mix seems to hit all the right spots and the face feels great ever since I started using it.
I still use a balm after it to maintain moisture and nourish the skin throughout the day.

Attachments

• IMG_20170501_012649.jpg
    IMG_20170501_012649.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 30
Today I mixed English Leather and Pinaud clubman lime Sec, equal parts, with two drops of glycerin per ounce. I must say it came out very nice.

One of my favorites is one part Stirling's black cherry, to two parts Stirling's ben franklin. Very sweet and spicy. I also mix the shave soaps in this ratio.

i posted this on another forum a long time ago.. but will repost here..

When I started into wet shaving about a year ago, It was just a way to make shaving cheaper from the multi-cartridge razors. However like many of us here at shavenook, I just started accumulating more and more, razors here, soaps there etc etc.. There is a plethora of good products out there, Captain's Choice, Kramperts, Myrsol, MdC, Pre de Provence just to name a few. However, I love to DIY things when I can, so I thought to myself 'Hey lets try to make an aftershave!' At first, since I have a few things medically wrong with me, medically (parry-romberg syndrome) I thought I would try to market it, I figured I would probably never make enough to have surgery to fix my face, however I might have been able to make enough to fix my teeth that have decayed because of the tissue underneath dying. But after this long journey it has been so much fun that I just want to share with everyone what I have learned.

At first, I just scoured the internet looking for recipes which yeilded recipes that I really didn't like personally. Most had to do with just straight Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera Gel, and Essential Oils, and I particularly didn't like having to shake the bottle just to get the oils to mix with the water before each application so I looked further. I finally came across a post on another forum from the maker of the 'Fine' aftershave brand, as he is a believes in open source, and being open about his formula. And that's where I started.

My first recipe I tried was a complete knock-off of what he had posted.

70% SD-Alcohol 40b.
27-28% Water
2-3% Fragrance
and just a touch of menthol.

As much as this excited me when I first saw it, I knew I wanted to do more with it. So I tried..

70% SD-Alcohol 40b.
22% Water
5% Glycerin
3% Fragance
1% Menthol

Which felt a lot better with the added glycerin. But was too much menthol for me and at this point, I had picked up some Musgo Real, and knew I wanted some extra benefits But I couldn't figure out if I wanted to have a completly "natural" product or with some added chemicals. I chose to go natural at this point. So I tried..

60% SD-Alcohol 40b.
3.5% Water
15% Witch Hazel
15% Aloe Vera Juice NOT GEL!
5% Glycerin
1% Fragrance
.5% Menthol

This recipe was getting good, but I really wanted to try dropping the alcohol content even more, and since it was already getting close to the fragrance not mixing with the alcohol at 60% alcohol and 1% fragrance(oil doesnt mix with water!) So I knew that I would have to introduce some PEG 40 Hydronated Castor Oil.

45% SD-Alcohol 40b.
6.5% Water
20% Witch Hazel
20% Aloe Vera Juice NOT GEL!
5% Glycerin
2% PEG 40 Hydronated Castor Oil.
1% Fragrance
.5% Menthol

Now I love this recipe, the PEG 40 Hydronated Castor Oil felt like heaven on my face. Now I will say, that you can play with the PEG from 1 to 2% as I found it can feel a bit sticky if you use too much. However I still did some modifications.

45% SD-Alcohol 40b.
5.5% Water
20% Witch Hazel
20% Aloe Vera Juice NOT GEL!
5% Glycerin
2% PEG 40 Hydronated Castor Oil.
1% Fragrance
.5% Menthol
.5% Citric Acid
.5% Grapefruit Seed Extract

The reasons I added the citric acid was it brings the PH back into balance, and the grapefruit seed extract has a lot of benefits, just make sure you get a full strength GSE 60% GSE. Some of the benefits of GSE are but not limited too, Powerful natural antiseptic, Antiviral and anti-fungal agent, Promotes the healing of wounds and scar tissue, and also a PH adjuster.

First let me say that I can't stress enough to make sure you get Aloe Vera Juice and not Aloe Vera Gel, Also use SD-Alcohol 40b as it is a 200 proof perfumers alochol a rubbing alcohol wont work as well, plus the denturates in rubbing alcohol make the odur really hard to get rid of. As for mixing I measure everything out and put it into a jug/glass and shake or stir till everything is blended, and then filter and transfer to my final bottle. Another tip would be if you use the low low alcohol method, mix the menthol into the alcohol before hand, as it will mix easier in pure alcohol. Also if you feel like you need more menthol, just take away from the overall water content.

SOURCING.
Here are some links for you to check out.
SD-Alcohol 40b : https://www.saveonscents.com/advanced_se...ol&x=0&y=0
Witch Hazel : Bulk organic herbs, spices & essential oils – Mountain Rose Herbs
Aloe Vera: http://www.vitacost.com/georges-always-a...OgodoksAZA
Glycerin : Bulk organic herbs, spices & essential oils – Mountain Rose Herbs
Peg 40 HCO : http://www.makingcosmetics.com/PEG-40-Hy...p2152.html
Menthol Crystals : http://uspmentholcrystals.com/products-p...als-u-s-p/
Citric Acid : Citric Acid
GSE : http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/p...GSE60US413

I'll give you some links to some knock off perfume fragance oil sites, but I made my own essential oil combinations some good, some bad.

Essential Oils : Eden Botanicals - Organic and 100% Natural Essential Oils for Perfumery, Body Care Products and Aromatherapy
Perfume Oils : https://www.saveonscents.com/ | Perfume oil | Fragrance Oil | Body Oil | Scented Oil | Wholesale

I work for none of these companies, and you can most likely source these aside from a few things, locally.

I know most people dont want to DIY, but for those that do want to give this a shot, please remember to always support the community as well, as there are so many good products out already.

Okay, @TheVez2 my blend is ready for its debut!

Deadwood Deep Freeze
1 part Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
1 part Chiseled Face Cryogen

This blend us COLD! The overall top notes of the GTB are prominent in the bottle, and the menthol takes over as you apply it. Once the cooling dies down, the notes of the GTB remain.

This is very powerful. If the menthol is too much, you could make a Tenderfoot version by doubling the ratio of GTB to Cryogen.

Okay, @TheVez2 my blend is ready for its debut!

Deadwood Deep Freeze
1 part Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
1 part Chiseled Face Cryogen

This blend us COLD! The overall top notes of the GTB are prominent in the bottle, and the menthol takes over as you apply it. Once the cooling dies down, the notes of the GTB remain.

This is very powerful. If the menthol is too much, you could make a Tenderfoot version by doubling the ratio of GTB to Cryogen.
Nothing like frozen leather and gun smoke!

Here is a mix I've been using for a number of years. It's a 1:1 of the original green Proraso and Fine Italian Citrus.

The Proraso is kind of a reference aftershave for me. Soothing and refreshing properties, not exotic but an old unchanged recipe that does what an aftershave should do.

The Italian Citrus is one of my favorite scents. A bright and cheery way to start the morning. I was really bummed when this became unavailable for a couple years. Smells great but doesn't sooth and protect the skin the way Proraso does.

I found that by mixing these two I got the best of both worlds. The citrus scent overpowers the Proraso scent but doesn't fight with it. The witch hazel, castor oil and linalool in the Proraso settles down the skin. Both of these aftershaves contain menthol so that effect isn't diluted.

Unless someone can come up with a more clever name I guess I'll just call this ProCitrus.

Here is a mix I've been using for a number of years. It's a 1:1 of the original green Proraso and Fine Italian Citrus.

The Proraso is kind of a reference aftershave for me. Soothing and refreshing properties, not exotic but an old unchanged recipe that does what an aftershave should do.

The Italian Citrus is one of my favorite scents. A bright and cheery way to start the morning. I was really bummed when this became unavailable for a couple years. Smells great but doesn't sooth and protect the skin the way Proraso does.

I found that by mixing these two I got the best of both worlds. The citrus scent overpowers the Proraso scent but doesn't fight with it. The witch hazel, castor oil and linalool in the Proraso settles down the skin. Both of these aftershaves contain menthol so that effect isn't diluted.

Unless someone can come up with a more clever name I guess I'll just call this ProCitrus.
Fine Aso?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom