What's new

Badger Blends: Your Homemade Aftershave Mixes

Well my boys have been using this since Christmas and requested me to mix up another batch for them.
They wanted a name on it, so settled on ....

Arctic Pirate
2 parts Mennen's Brisk
2 parts Osage Rub
1 part Leather
1 part Old Spice

Fine Aso?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

CAS-6T.jpg
Fine Accoutrements

Arctic Pirate
2 parts Mennen's Skin Bracer
2 parts Osage Rub
1 part Avon Leather
1 part Old Spice
OK, here's my impressions. Being brutally honest here.
To me, it just didn't blend well. There's too much Osage Rub. It overpowers the whole mix. And since the menthol is so volatile, it takes a lot of the scent with it as it evaporates. Two hours later, I have no scent remaining. The Old Spice is totally lost, I sense no components of it in the mix at all. All I smell is Avon Leather with a hint of Skin Bracer. And it's just kind of a layered smell, not a mixing/blending of scents into something different.
So, it's just not for me. Sorry. But if you like it, that's what matters. And you've got some repeat customers, so it's a winner in your family!
Thanks for sharing.

OK, here's my impressions. Being brutally honest here.
To me, it just didn't blend well. There's too much Osage Rub. It overpowers the whole mix. And since the menthol is so volatile, it takes a lot of the scent with it as it evaporates. Two hours later, I have no scent remaining. The Old Spice is totally lost, I sense no components of it in the mix at all. All I smell is Avon Leather with a hint of Skin Bracer. And it's just kind of a layered smell, not a mixing/blending of scents into something different.
So, it's just not for me. Sorry. But if you like it, that's what matters. And you've got some repeat customers, so it's a winner in your family!
Thanks for sharing.

It's all good. To be fair mine was a bit modified, being that the OS was a vintage EDT that I reconstituted with Myers's rum, witch hazel and castor oil to bring it more to the concentration of an aftershave. That said, the scent of the rum comes through in to the final product.
I made a batch about 2 weeks ago using pure OS, Avon leather, Osage rub and Bracer and found it lacking (compared to original formulation) when I checked it today. Problem is I have about 6 oz of modified OS remaining to be able to formulate in to Arctic Pirate; then gone. The rum seems to add to the scent and lasting power.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
With the too-hot weather, I broke out the

Frozen Veg:
1/2 Veg
1/2 Osage Rub
15 drops of glycerin (as needed in all Pinauds)

It makes the Veg smell linger less, the Rub's medicine smell knocks it down somewhat.

They're both green, so. Like a menthol-y Veg.

AA

Just an update on the scent longevity of the Deadwood Deep Freeze...

SWMBO said she could still smell the scent of the GTB up to 10 hours after I applied it!

Ogallamici L&P V1
Tried my first blended aftershave tonight in a 10 ml bottle to test. Equal parts Ogallala Bay Rum, Lime and Peppercorn with Italian Barber Amici. I thought that the Ogallala would still be the primary scent since it's scent is nice and strong and because it has some decent lasting power but was surprised at how much of the Amici scent came through. Usually the Ogallala scent lasts a good while but with this blend, not much scent is left after an hour and a half. The scent was nice - they blended well together IMO but I was hoping for more Ogallala scent in this case and want to try to maintain some of it's staying power.

There was a mix made of 50/50 Skin Bracer and Brut. While my approximation using Brisk/Vi-Jon "Classic" was nice, it was too out of focus for me. I decided what the heck and threw in some Vi-Jon "Spice" - and that my friends did the trick. To me this is a "Home Run" (yea I'd call it that hehe) because it just smells like an American Dude.

1/3 Barbasol Brisk
1/3 Ivy Club Classic
1/3 Ivy Club Spice

I'm not saying it's the best thing ever, but the added spice somehow brings the mix into focus for me. Call it Spice with backbone. Not changing the world, but smelling damn fine trying.

Top Bottom