What's new

Backsliding

I became a convert to the straight on July 4 and until today my only lapses have been due to international travel where packing the straight was not practical. SWMBO had the bathroom tarped and taped for paint this morning so my shower was actually my head under the kitchen sink faucet and a swabbing of the sweaty parts with a washcloth. I shaved with a DE by my reflection in the kitchen window. Do I have absolution from the group for not attempting a straight razor shave while my neighbor watched and wondered what I was doing?

Blasphemy! LOL. I used a cart over the summer for one pass while away for a long weekend. It just reaffirmed what I already knew. I couldn't believe how a mach 3 pulled on a wtg pass.

I only fell so far as a British Aristocrat and a sample of LA Shaving Co. soap applied with a Berkeley 46. A man's got to have his limits...

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I live on a 27 foot sailboat. I have no mirror. I shave with a straight. A mirror is totally optional.

The DE is OK but I bet using the window as a mirror made you long for a retro- grade, chromed toaster, eh?

Brian

I became a convert to the straight on July 4 and until today my only lapses have been due to international travel where packing the straight was not practical. SWMBO had the bathroom tarped and taped for paint this morning so my shower was actually my head under the kitchen sink faucet and a swabbing of the sweaty parts with a washcloth. I shaved with a DE by my reflection in the kitchen window. Do I have absolution from the group for not attempting a straight razor shave while my neighbor watched and wondered what I was doing?

DE is always Ok. But sometimes the situation and condition is not on our side, hence, there are things that we can't control. So no harm done.

And BTW: I always pack my straight strop and assorted goodies when traveling to Japan.

Time is sometimes more of the essence in the morning when I am traveling and being time zone whacked, and I can get through a DE shave quicker. I have read of guys getting straight razors confiscated from their checked bags and when I recently departed from the Dubai airport I was asked if I had anything sharp in my checked bag. I had tossed the used DE blades before I packed so I didn't need to cross any moral dilemmas by answering no. Capricious security policies can make getting our ritual de-whiskering such a challenge...

I could have used a straight today, but went DE because I needed fast and it was waaaaaay too early for my crack of noon sensibilities. And my favorite/best honed are packed in my bag for my flight I didn't make today due to weather. If I get enough sleep tonight, I'll use my shavette tomorrow morning when I try again.

I unapologetically will put down my straight. Sometimes. :)

Top Bottom