What's new

Back to the Proglide, for good

DE shaving can save money. For every person here who spends hundreds on trophy paraphernalia, there are many more out there in the real world just shaving with DEs and spending a pittance.
Carts would not save me enough time to tempt me back. Though I have many carts in the drawer that I could use for travel if necessary.

One thing I have to point out, not to be antagonistic, it's just interesting, even though the OP said you wouldn't save money wet shaving

1. The brush and soap is a big part as was mentioned, but also a big cost and the OP uses those, so you could spend a whole lot of money buying carts AND a ton of brushes/soaps

2. The OP says it's impossible to save money (maybe true for a lot of people/me), but he said he has one brush and proraso. That sounds like it's really about as cheap as decent canned goo (or decently expensive).

1. No matter whether I use carts or DE blades, brushes and soaps/creams are important for a good quality shave. A couple of high quality brushes for $200 should last a life time. For $50 a year, I cover my needs for good soaps/creams too.

2. I can shave with a DE razor as quickly as with carts, and can get the same result - 2-pass shave for no more than 5 minutes, if I have to.

3. Buying 2-3 DE razors for $200 instead carts and plastic razors pays off in a couple years.

4. Spending $300 upfront on DE blades covers my needs for 10-15 years.

5. As I see it, there's no disadvantage in using DE razors instead carts, on a condition that I enjoy shaving with them, and I'm happy with the outcome.

One thing I have to point out, not to be antagonistic, it's just interesting, even though the OP said you wouldn't save money wet shaving

1. The brush and soap is a big part as was mentioned, but also a big cost and the OP uses those, so you could spend a whole lot of money buying carts AND a ton of brushes/soaps

2. The OP says it's impossible to save money (maybe true for a lot of people/me), but he said he has one brush and proraso. That sounds like it's really about as cheap as decent canned goo (or decently expensive).

So you're saying I save money ? Yeah actually I do. Turns out that if you don't buy something you don't need, the money goes to your savings account.

I have one face, hence I have one brush. There was no B&B effect that could ever destroy that logic for me. And I have a good value one too ($40 BBB). The tub of Proraso is $10 and lasts months. I got 16 Proglide cartridges on Amazon for $40. That would've been $56 had I gotten them at Walmart.

It's all about realizing that AD's make no sense. Whether you're a DE or cartridge shaver.

I use a Fusion, I dunno if it's pro glide or pro anything, on my head. It can't be beat for a head shave. But I love a DE shave on my face.

So you're saying I save money ? Yeah actually I do. Turns out that if you don't buy something you don't need, the money goes to your savings account.

I have one face, hence I have one brush. There was no B&B effect that could ever destroy that logic for me. And I have a good value one too ($40 BBB). The tub of Proraso is $10 and lasts months. I got 16 Proglide cartridges on Amazon for $40. That would've been $56 had I gotten them at Walmart.

It's all about realizing that AD's make no sense. Whether you're a DE or cartridge shaver.

Well to you they make no sense. No need to be dismissive of others' hobbies. Some folks collect stamps, some collect coins, some collect dinner plates. There are all kinds of crazy things collected by people everywhere. You only get one go around in this life and if you choose to collect something that gives you happiness so be it. As long as your personal finances don't suffer for it. Most if not all people have been very accepting of your decision. We may not all agree with you but we do wish you well in going back to cartridges. That to me makes no sense, but if it does to you. That's what matters.

I use a Fusion, I dunno if it's pro glide or pro anything, on my head. It can't be beat for a head shave. But I love a DE shave on my face.

Et tu Bob? Noooooo say it ain't so! Kidding, kidding! :biggrin1: I can understand using cartridges on the head.

Well to you they make no sense. No need to be dismissive of others' hobbies. Some folks collect stamps, some collect coins, some collect dinner plates. There are all kinds of crazy things collected by people everywhere. You only get one go around in this life and if you choose to collect something that gives you happiness so be it. As long as your personal finances don't suffer for it. Most if not all people have been very accepting of your decision. We may not all agree with you but we do wish you well in going back to cartridges. That to me makes no sense, but if it does to you. That's what matters.

I'm not bashing shaving as a hobby. It's all good and fun if you wanna enjoy trying a whole bunch of different products. But when it becomes an addiction, and you're feeling uneasy because you need to buy more stuff instead of enjoying what you have, it's a problem. Just my 2 cents.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
So after DE shaving for a couple of months, the hype of it all died. It was fun, I learned a lot, but in the end, it just felt like hype. There was no actual benefit to spend the extra effort with the DE. <snip>
The Proglide can do in 2 passes what the DE took 3 to accomplish, in half the time, no razor burn and zero risk of cuts. <snip> I can also shave in the morning right before work since this is much faster, as opposed to night time DE shaves. <snip>
I've heard the wise ones around here say "Just shave". That's what I do now.

You obviously didn't use enough product.

Zeo, I'm glad that you found a combo that works for you. I started DE shaving after getting tired of having an irritated neck all the time with a fusion. I've spent a fair amount of money this year buying some things, but that was me enjoying the hobby side of it. I spend a little extra time in the morning shaving but I like the fact that it has forced me to slow down and enjoy the process. It's a little indulgence for me.

Enjoy your combo. Gotta do what's right for you.

I can get a closer shave with the proglide, i can go against the grain on my neck which i can't do with a de, it bleeds and gets irritated using any blade even feathers,
it would maybe work out cheaper for me using the proglide shaving every day as a blade would last me a few weeks maybe a month, i used a fusion and supermarket own make razors before starting de, never changed the cart very often and got good shaves, i did notice the difference in sharpness when i did change cart though,
i have spent a small fortune on de razors, blades, soaps, creams etc in the last few months and i would never go back to cart razors all the time even though they shave better for me, i like the look of the de razors, brushes and and then you have all the different scented soaps you can buy, i would still use a cart razor though for a change sometimes.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I don't doubt your experience. Many variables contribute to variable mileage.

I can get a closer shave with the proglide, i can go against the grain on my neck which i can't do with a de, it bleeds and gets irritated using any blade even feathers,
it would maybe work out cheaper for me using the proglide shaving every day as a blade would last me a few weeks maybe a month, i used a fusion and supermarket own make razors before starting de, never changed the cart very often and got good shaves, i did notice the difference in sharpness when i did change cart though,
i have spent a small fortune on de razors, blades, soaps, creams etc in the last few months and i would never go back to cart razors all the time even though they shave better for me, i like the look of the de razors, brushes and and then you have all the different scented soaps you can buy, i would still use a cart razor though for a change sometimes.

I'm too old to try and fool myself as I knew "getting in to" shaving with DEs, straights and all the software associated would become a hobby and not be cheap. I can honestly say that I have not touched a cart setup a single time since my first DE shave but I also know I could get a premium shave from my old Atra in the drawer. For me it is a night time, relaxing practice with literally hundreds of combinations. The day I quit shaving with a cart was the day shaving became more than just beard removal.

I'm not bashing shaving as a hobby. It's all good and fun if you wanna enjoy trying a whole bunch of different products. But when it becomes an addiction, and you're feeling uneasy because you need to buy more stuff instead of enjoying what you have, it's a problem. Just my 2 cents.

I don't have a problem. The one who dies with then most toys wins! :jump:

No offense meant at all, I was actually sort of just realizing that although people talk about lost money to carts...you actually are very economic and even the carts probably won't break your bank. I bet you'll be able to save on the cost of a bottle or two of the gel/canned stuff by using just a tube of Proraso which lasts foreverrrr.

I try to get people to try it out, but I honestly think even the brush and soap is a big step. As far as the DE, like I said, I think I can't go back due to my skin, but I know people who shave with a DE yet switch to a cart in a rush. I am not trying to keep people from switching, and it's good to see you're ditching the canned goo and you'll probably save some money the way you're doing it too.

There is nothing wrong with going back to a Proglide. The important part is that you were open minded enough to try something different. Yes, i agree that your cartridge razor can give you just as good a shave if not better with less effort. I am o e of those guys who could also stretch out the use of a cartridge for months with no ill affect. After my initial plunge into this realm i can honestly say that yes, i do save money. I never spent too much, just bought a few more razors than needed, but i had to find the right one. The only consumables i see myself buying in the next year is AS (when needed).

i have DE, SE, and a straight and a shavette. And a dusty fusion in the drawer. We're all here for different reasons. I could use the fusion and probably be amazed at how well it shaved. The reasons i am here and enjoy shaving with my other 'old' razors are intangible. I didn't enjoy shaving before. I hated it. It was a daily chore. I simply enjoy it more now. Its personal and something i do or myself.

I hope you do remain a part of the community.

Top Bottom