What's new

Back from Gotham

Hi all,

I just moved out of New York, and I miss it already. I wish I did this earlier, so I could have known how many great shops were in my neighborhood!

In the name of procrastinating things I have to get done, I just created a Google Map of all the locations mentioned in this thread. It's public and editable by all, so feel free to make changes if anything new pops up.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=106892585058684806385.0004723543c353a05d9a6

On Friday went to Cambridge Chemists, met and spoke to Scott for about 20 minutes. Very helpful guy eager to spend some time explaining his array of products.As I am a newbie it was very helpful. He does not have a large selection of razors, blades or brushes but says he can always order what you need. He does have lots of shaving creams and various sundries. If inthe area worth a look.

Still a newbie to DE shaving but have been in NYC for the last few days visiting my family. I had an opportunity to visit several of the shops listed in this thread, and now have a better idea of what I'm looking for as far as shaving products go. (Dallas is pretty barren when it comes to shave gear.)

The first stop my brother (a recent DE convert as well) and I made was at Pasteur Pharmacy on 63rd and Lexington. The store is literally stocked from floor to ceiling with products, and the aisles busy with customers. The shaving section is quite large, and I saw several products that forum members have said were difficult to find in other market areas and even online. We were immediately greeted by Steven, who asked us if we needed any help. At that point we were still just looking, but he offered us a double handful of Zirh shaving samples anyway and we chatted for a few minutes. He was quite informative and helpful, despite being busy managing the other employees and assisting other customers. A while later we ended up leaving with some TOBS Avocado tubs, ARKO Commando, Trumper's Coconut soap, and assorted blades. Prices were certainly within the range of what I have seen online, and I was happy to pay the small premium to to look at, handle, and sniff as many different products as I could get my hands on.

We walked a few blocks north to Cambridge Chemists. Scott greeted us immediately, and he was also quite friendly and informative. Cambridge carries the entire Czech & Speake aromatic line, and I will have to set some $$$ aside for some Citrus Paradisi or Cuba EDT for my next bottle of cologne. The store was more spacious, but had a more limited shaving product selection when compared to Pasteur. I ended up getting a tub of white Proraso and some Claus Porto bath soaps, and Scott provided us with some Czech & Speake as well as Trumper's samples. Prices were a little higher than Pasteur, but still reasonable given a brick a mortar store in NYC.

We stopped into The Body Shop. They were running their 3 for 2 special so we ended up getting some tubs of Maca Root shave cream and ASB, as well as some Arber and Kistina ASB. I also signed up for their promo/rewards card since it was essentially free.

L'Occitane and Crabtree & Evelyn were in Rockefeller Center. I'm considering the L'Occitane Vetyver vs Badian EDT and will have to ask SWMBO about that.

Z Chemists had Penhaligon's BB but for some reason it smelled like Listerine to me on the card. I will have to obtain a decant and run it by the SWMBO before committing to a bottle. They also had Trumper's, e-shave and a few others. Nice bath soap collection.

New London Pharmacy on 23rd and 8th had some nice bath soaps and such, but a relatively limited shave section, mostly Trumper's.

Bed Bath and Beyond had some latte mugs that were suitable for shaving use and were a steal for $4 each.

That's all for now.

Went to Pasteur's today on 34th and Park. Just like everyone said - they had an amazing amount of items. Yes it was tightly packed (and I must have knocked down 3 or 4 items, in addition to numerous little packs of blades) but everyone was very patient as I stared and stared for about 25 minutes. I must have smelled everything there (that my short 5' 6" frame could reach).

Little pricey (not truly discounted but probably some internet prices) and the tax does get you. But I could walk there from my office and the experience of looking at everything was worth it.

Purchased my first TOBS cream - very excited to try it out! Not bad for 13.99 though. Thought about getting my first DE (wet shaver here, straights in the past but mostly cartridge for now) when I saw the Merkur HD (34C). But at $50 I thought it would be better to order from Bull Goose.

While in NYC, I came across Eve Beauty Source near Chinatown (Broadway and Howard St). They had a small selection of DE razors and Omega brushes and some straights. I am new to DE shaving and straights, I am not to sure of brand.

I scanned through this thread and didn't necessarily find the answer to my question. I'm aware of the various stores mentioned in this thread, but I was wondering which would have the best selection of Simpson's shaving brushes. I bought a Case from Cambridge Chemists about a year ago, but the selection was pretty small there. Does anybody know of a shop in the city that would have a good selection of Simpson's brushes to check out?

Pasteur Pharmacy at the 34 street location has a larger selection than the one on Lex.

Last edited:
There's now an Art of Shaving across the block from the Lex Pasteur's. This means that in a radius of a couple of blocks there's Pasteur's, Cambridge, and Art of Shaving. Can we call it the Shave District?

There's now an Art of Shaving across the block from the Lex Pasteur's. This means that in a radius of a couple of blocks there's Pasteur's, Cambridge, and Art of Shaving. Can we call it the Shave District?

Its been called the Bermuda triangle of wetshaving, where your money disappears without a trace.

Popped into Whitneys Chemist on University btw 9th/10th yesterday.

Good selection of product at or around Pasteur prices. The whole GFT line, DR Harris, Cella, Spanish fig(?), Musgo Real, Omega, and more. Also a selection of GFT-branded and other brushes, as well as various ASB. I did see Valobra but only the bath soap (plus Musgo on a rope!). Also, nearly all of the boutique toothpastes discussed here in other threads were represented (many European brands).

If you're downtown east and shopping for swag, support the Mom & Pop!

Hi guys,

It might be worth mentioning that the 2 most popular places are closed on Sundays for a big part of the year...:thumbdown

Both Pasteur and Cambridge are closed on Sundays for the bigger part of the year.

I didn't see this mentioned, but the fiance found a shaving store in Soho called The New York Shaving Co. since its near his apt we stopped by to check out the Taylor of Old Bond St products. Turns out today they launched their own line of men's products. We bought a Lemon shaving cream (12 for 2 oz) and they gave us a bottle of preshave oil for free since he was just starting. They also carry omega brushes and a line of razors. The shop is small and its set up with one chair for shaves ($30-$45) and haircuts. Great old-timey atmosphere. We'll definitely be checking them out again.

http://nyshavingcompany.com/

202B Elizabeth Street
New York, NY 10012
212-334-9495

Since this thread helped me find it, I paid a visit to Cambridge Chemists yesterday, in order to purchase an HD and some Harris Milk. The prices for those two were not bad, given a brick and mortar location in NYC and Scott added a discount due to being a B&B member.

Their selection is quite amazing too. This is the first store I visited in NYC since I moved here last year and it is bizzare to see all these products, that to me were available only online before, in person. I may just need to make a monthly trip there or one of the other great stores and start on my shaving collection again (I narrowed it down when I moved).

Thanks again, B&B.

Top Bottom