What's new

Back from Gotham

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Was in NYC a few weeks ago and stopped at Cambridge and Pasteur. Help was courteous, but not eager, at Pasteur. On the other hand, Scott and I talked shop for a good 20 minutes at Cambridge.

For the prices they charge, not only should they talk to you, they should carry you to your car (if not home).

anyone know where i can get a speick shave stick in ny?
im here on a visit so i figured i might as well check out the stores

I was just at Pasteurs on 34th yesterday. I drove down to the city from Maine for a couple of days of big city energy. I have to agree that the help was pretty much non-existent at Pasteurs but the selection was pretty damn good and the prices were pretty competitive with our online retailers for a lot of things. They had full lines of:

-GFT
-TOB
-Floris
-DR Harris
-Speick
-Tabac
-Castle Forbes
-T&H

Not to mention stuff like Pre de Provence, Cyril Salters, Palmolive, Godrej and a hell of a lot more. For a "shaving section" in a drugstore, it was damn dizzying. I spent about 45 minutes in there and after weighing the options, I walked out with a bowl of DR Harris Marlborough soap, Domenica Bay Rum and some Astra blades. I could have spent about another $60 but I controlled myself significantly and didn't want the wife to freak out when I got home. My buddy took the picture below while I was lost in shaving nirvana. He thought it was hilarious how I was taking so much time to methodically go through the stuff and weigh my purchases.

I have stood in that very spot in Pasteur's several times and always with the same look on my face. Like a kid in a candy store.

I have stood in that very spot in Pasteur's several times and always with the same look on my face. Like a kid in a candy store.

It's one hell of a candy store even though it's damn small. I think at that moment I was in the middle of a "Holy Crap!! Look at all this DR Harris stuff that wants to come home with me!" moment.

yeah +1.

can't come out of there for less than $100 (last time I was in the city I was in Pasteur's 3 times... figure it out)... yikes!

It's one hell of a candy store even though it's damn small. I think at that moment I was in the middle of a "Holy Crap!! Look at all this DR Harris stuff that wants to come home with me!" moment.

Ditto. I went in there the other day just to look around & walked out $71 poorer.

In Manhattan if it isn't a cramped space they won't have a good price.

Goes with the territory; I make what I'd term as a modest man a comfy living for most places, but in Manhattan it is a pittance. Never had more than 320 sq ft to my name in 6 years of Manhattan renting and they were horrible dumps. On the bright side, though, I went 2+ yrs working and playing all in the span of about 1/2 sq mi and never needed any transportation beyond my feet unless I was boarding an airplane. Sooner or later you don't want to think about things like how to get a 4-slice toaster that takes up less counter space.

I like West Village Apothecary 346 Bleecker, a nice Truefitt and Hill collection amongst others and the proprietor responds favorably to cash offers.

Stopped by Cambridge Chemists on Lexington Ave (between 64th and 65th) and picked up some Royall Bay Rhum and Trumper's Lime Soap. They have a large selection of Trumpers, Taylors and DR Harris (not much T&H), but yes, the prices are significant. If you mention you're a member here they'll give you a 10% discount, but you have to be forward, only the manager knows the discount - most of the clerks are clueless, but they're nice about it.

I just visited this remarkable place -- during a business trip to the City. You can find similar or the same items cheaper online, but nowhere else have I seen so many great shaving supplies for the connoisseur wet shaver. The 34th Street store is larger and the Lexingotn Avenue store has a larger supply of brushes. Cambridge Chemist is also in NYC but the selection is a bit smaller & the prices are higher.

While at Pasteur's I did find a small alum block from Turkey that cost $3.99 and a very appealing -- coconut smelling cream from Genoa, Italy that did not have a specific label but looked great. A wide range of GFT products & Castle Forbes and the 1st retail shop i have found that sells 7 O'clock Yellows & Blacks.

When visiting NYC plan a trip -- over 50 years in the same location owned by the same family. Pretty amazing! Highly recommended.

I visited Pasteur Pharmacy and Cambridge Chemists stores on Lexington Avenue last week looking or a safety new razor. I also dropped in on The Art of Shaving which has a store just off off Lexington about halfway between Pasteur and Cambridge. I found the Merkur 12c (fathers day gift) I was looking for at Cambridge and the sales lady offered the Badger and Blade discount before I could even ask for it!
It was my first trip to Cambridge and I found the staff very helpful. I have visited Pasteur's before, since I have a client a couple of blocks away, and the selection is great for for everything, I like smelling the soaps and creams before I buy.

One of the best things for me is that Joon Pens is almost directly across Lexington Ave. from Pasteur's. Check them out too if you like fountain pens.

Went to Pasteur Pharmacy then met a B&B member who introduced me to Cambridge Chemist and told me about B&B.... I guess I'll have to afford a new hobby since I've come this far. It just feels good.

Headed to NYC this weekend and looking forward to hitting up Cambridge Chemist as ALL of my shopping experiences have been onlineso far. I am looking to dealing with a real bricks and mortar type of place.

Top Bottom