What's new

[B]R-89 or Double-ring?[/B]

Just got a double-ring from the BST for a very good price and I have to say this is one agressive razor. It makes the Slant looks wimpy. I'm assuming this is about as agressive as they get? I bloody hope so....any M3-user switching to this would need councilling!

@&*"!. I've made that mistake a couple of times. I cant work out why its called a single-ring when there's two rings at the btm of the handle and two smooth sections on the handle as well.

Its the ring at the top of the handle, the double rings have two rings at the top, and are much, much rarer, I've never found one at a price I was prepared to pay. Theres a nice pic in the wiki.

ok, I see. I wonder how many good condition 1903 models are in exisence? Not a lot. They're essentially the same to use as the single-rings though, aren't they? Just wondering if the one you sent me is the genesis of all DEs

Steve, keep in mind that these "old style" Gillettes were originally designed to be used with the old, thicker, blades of that day. I believe that using the thinner blades of today in these old razors is perhaps what contributes to the aggressive shave that they render nowadays.

If I had the guts to try an old original type Gillette blade in an old style razor, I would do it for the sole purpose of finding out if it shaved as aggerssively as with a thinner blade. Unfortunately, back in the days when they started producing coated blades such as the Super Blue Blade of 1958, I swore I would never go back to an uncoated, carbon steel blade again. I still remember the shaves I used to get with even uncoated Blue Blades and I hated to shave for that reason. My experimenting stops short of using old blades.

Many folks prefer an aggressive shave. If you are among this group, the old type is just what you always wanted. If your single ring is pre 1921, I doubt that a double ring would shave any differently. I believe the only difference is it the handle. In 1921 they did make a change in the head of the old style; the heads and caps on these newer ones are thicker. There could be a slight difference in the way a pre '21 and a newer one shaves. I may have to try this to see for myself if the thicker head changed the shaving characteristics. (I wouldn't be surprised if we hear from some of the guys on this forum who already have the answer to that question.)

Regards,
Tom

Well the delight of the piece that Pjggy kindly sold me is that it has that gorgeous D Petard shim in it. Wonderfully made and brings the gap up to about that of an HD. My 11c is a blatant copy and the gap is the same with the same shim in and now shaves Xly agressively too. Mind you I've noticed that the tension on the blade's very important to stop it warping a la the thread from a few days ago. It can be perfectly straight, but you have to watch you don't overtighten it. I love it for its agressioin but also love the other, not agressive at all DEs I've got too.

Top Bottom