What's new

Australian Private Reserve Soap

Does anyone have any experience with soaps produced by Australian Private Reserve? How do they perform? Also what scent or scents would you recommend and how would you describe the scent? Finally, any thoughts on their aftershaves?

Maggards seems to have a number of APR soaps for sale and West Coast Shaving has a couple. I also saw it at Pasteur's in September. The scent descriptions sound absolutely wonderful but I have to wonder about the quality of the soap and aftershave--uncharted territory for me.

I have 2 APR soaps (Rose bourbon Fougere, and Mycroft) but have only used the RBFso far, it is not heavy on the rose at all, im fact the notes mix to make a cologne type scent. I admit its not much healp as their scents are hard to describe.

Scents are fairly complex but not heavy, would say about a 7/10 strength wise.

Performance is not bad. have only used APR a few times, but they remind me a bit of Wild West in the lather quality and ability to make decent scents ( although slight nod to WW in scent department). Not much product is needed for a thick lather, and both seem to work best when not too much water is added (if flooded it gets a bit too runny) but this is just my experience still being a bit limited with this artisan.

Bottom line, i dont think you would be dissapointed performance wise. The price of admission is a bit high compaired to other soaps, but their scents are works of art- be it good or bad- thats for you to decide.

Thanks @SHAVEWIZARD420 for the feedback. Before placing an order with Maggards, I did take a look at the two scents you have and they appeared very inviting. I like appreciate your comment about the scents being works of art.

I ended up ordering Ozymandias soap and splash. The scent is described as follows:

Top Notes Include: White Rum, Red Cherry & Blueberry

Heart Notes Include: Rosewood, Orris, Cedarwood & Honey

Base Notes Include: Oudh, Mysore Sandalwood, White Musks, Vanilla & Ambergris.

So I will see what this one APR is all about when I get back to my home base in a couple of weeks. Hopefully, this will turn out to be a "good" work of art.

I’m a tad biased as I’m in Australia and have ready access to APR releases for each season. They are incredibly great performers and as mentioned the scents are complex yet amazing! Dan puts a lot of effort into his stuff as I’m sure every artisan does, but these are to be, on a different level.

I have the soap and splash of Florian and the splash of Ozymandias. I love both so much but of course the Ozymandias is more for cooler seasons which you guys are now entering. You won’t be disappointed.

I’m also lucky to have the soap and splash of an very limited release known as Skye Fall. It was produced for the Aussies who catch up through a local shave forum. It is A M A Z I N G !!!!!!

Also, the base was modified from the original version, which includes the Mycroft and FBR, of which I believe commenced from the Ozymandias and Fenchurch release so you will find that it is even creamier once lathered up.

Please provide your thoughts on the scents and performance when you receive them!

Hey @Southsider :
I do have a few of APR products (soaps not pictured, I took the picture for reviewing the APR splashes for spanish forums a couple of days ago, I may do an english translation along the week):

proxy.php

As @tim33z already mentioned (Hi mate), newest soaps have a new formula, that makes it more water hungry and generates an even more protective and luxury lather.
Regarding the splashes, for me are just the best of what I have tried. I enjoy them almost every day. If you like complex scents they won't disappoint you (appart of personal preferences in scents, if you don't like fougere scents, don't get a fougere scent, or maybe do it :) ). They feel really good on the skin, and scent remains with you for some hours (depending on your skin, the ammount used etc...)

hello @tim33z and @sealer, from Alabama where I am now for a few days, just down the road from Muscle Shoals. It is amazing to me that I can get feedback from around the World on such matters! I appreciate your input. Based on your comments, I believe I may have stumbled (an apt phrase in my case) on to a nice choice. I gave serious consideration to Florian but had to make a choice to narrow it down to one soap and splash in an unfamiliar (to me) product line. @sealer that is a very impressive array of Australian Private Reserve.

Holy crap @sealer now even I never knew you had so much!

Your description of the face feel is spot on and the scents last quite some time. My wife could still smell the Florian over 24 hours later and this was only the splash I had used, not the edt.

It’s slightly cooler here this morning so I think it’s an Ozymandias day today.

The good thing with APR, and @sealer will hopefully agree, is that even though the individual scents may not be around forever, there will be others released, so if something of his takes your fancy, buy extras. Or ask others to buy them as presents for later in the year like I have!

The Bombora for summer is looking and sounding impressive, hey?

@Southsider, Ozymandias is a great choice for colder weather, it is very nice and elegant :)

@tim33z yes, I do have a few (including others that I no long have in stock, just a small drops to smell them) but I don't have Skyefall :07: (no disposable 'fresh' cash when it was released).
Bombora seems very interesing, and the best thing is that I never know what to really expect in terms of scent. But I want to play safe with my bucks. So I simply buy all splashes of each release, and then choose the soaps and EdP's I liked more from the splashes :)
The problem of limited or non permanent editions arise when you like a lot something (like frenchurch to me), then you need to stock some. Asking others to buy it as future presents is a clever idea, I'll keep that in mind!!. The advantage is that, for example, if this winter release would have been the same of last winter, there wouldn't have been Frenchurch :001_tt1:

cheers

Ordered up some Florian too in honor of @tim33z.

I take it that you had some part in this particular scent or is that mere happenstance?

I was asked what type of scents I like and then it was created based on those...works for me especially well at the beginning of the Australian autumn and at the end of spring...

hiya @Southsider another vote here for APR.. I have both the Florian and LaVioletta soaps and splashes.. out of the two I like lavioletta the most but both smell amazing and soap performance is top tier imo.. YMMV of course

This brand is on my to try list. I think 2019 will be my year of Aussie products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I am tempted to try this brand. Might put in an order for Christmas if they still have soaps available.

Thanks @SHAVEWIZARD420 for the feedback. Before placing an order with Maggards, I did take a look at the two scents you have and they appeared very inviting. I like appreciate your comment about the scents being works of art.

I ended up ordering Ozymandias soap and splash. The scent is described as follows:

Top Notes Include: White Rum, Red Cherry & Blueberry

Heart Notes Include: Rosewood, Orris, Cedarwood & Honey

Base Notes Include: Oudh, Mysore Sandalwood, White Musks, Vanilla & Ambergris.

So I will see what this one APR is all about when I get back to my home base in a couple of weeks. Hopefully, this will turn out to be a "good" work of art.

Hope you enjoy the new soaps. They all sound like killer scent profiles. Perfirmance wise you shouldnt be dissapointed as long as you like thr scent.

I am tempted to try this brand. Might put in an order for Christmas if they still have soaps available.

AP Reserve make seasonal soaps, so there will be most likely summer soaps for christmas (remember, Oz is down under hahaha)

Oh my goodness, Ozymandias is nice, very nice. Exquisite scent--I had to reread the scent notes to try and figure out what is going on. Whatever it is, I stumbled on something special. The lather is thick, creamy and slick. Residual slickness galore. Post shave face feels very lubricated. This soapmaker has some serious chops.

Oh my goodness, Ozymandias is nice, very nice. Exquisite scent--I had to reread the scent notes to try and figure out what is going on. Whatever it is, I stumbled on something special. The lather is thick, creamy and slick. Residual slickness galore. Post shave face feels very lubricated. This soapmaker has some serious chops.
We knew you'd be impressed!
As the weather in the northern hemisphere gets cooler, you'll enjoy it more and more...

yeah real nice soap hey.. what did you think about the florian scent?

Top Bottom