What's new

Attn Bicycle Gurus

I've remembered... This is my first time on a bike and wearing a helmet (last time I was riding a bike before, helmets were unheard of outside velodromes and only wowsers wore them) - being somewhat out of shape (apart from Bibendum look-a-like competitions, I'm hot to trot for those :biggrin:) I'm perspiring a fair bit and I now have what can only be described as a "sweaty helmet" :eek: the smell (particularly when it warms up) is really quite disgusting

Are there any wonder cures or recommended washing agents that won't (a) damage the helmet and (b) give me a rash?

I'd suggest wearing a bandana or something under the helmet, it keeps the helmet clean and keeps sweat out of your eyes. I do this in the heat of summer and it really helps. Also, try hitting the pads with a little bit of baby powder after your ride. That should soak up the sweat and leave a powdery frangrance, just make sure to flick the extra powder out before you put the helmet back on, otherwise you'll have a funny white outline on your head.

For more generic pairs of mtb bike tires it really won't matter. I can't imagine why they would print that on the tires. I've got a very nice pair of stubby tires where the rear tire has horizontal tread and the front tire has tread pointed more forward. The idea is the rear tire is to create traction to propel and the rear keeps the bike on the intended path.

But if yours are the same, probably no real difference. If the rear walls are thicker the wieght would be different. You could check that. But probably not the case.

Used to work in a bike shop in college.:001_smile

Tread patterns may differ on front and rear tires for mountain bikes quite significantly. As has been pointed out this is because the tires serve different functions front tire for steering, back for acceleration. Rotational direction is vitally important with off road tires. The tread pattern is designed to channel mud and water away from the "contact patch" (that part of the tire that makes contact with the ground). Rule of thumb: Look for the "V" in the pattern the arrow points to the rear. One additional consideration, because of how weight shifts during braking, front brakes and tires are responsible for ~70% of stopping. As a result the front and rear tires may have different rubber compounds to ensure even tread wear. This last part is more applicable to motorcycle tires than bicycle tires as the energy involved is many times greater.

Top Bottom