What's new

Attn Bicycle Gurus

I just noticed today when I got back from my ride that my bike has different tyres front and back. They're an asymmetrical pair - same brand/model etc - but marked "front" and "rear" - rather than 2 completely different brands of tyre.

There's no obvious difference between them - so what gives?
  • Does the rear one have thicker/stiffer walls to account for more of my lardy *** loading the rear more than the front?
  • Is the tread pattern different? (with a superficial glance the tread on both looks the same)
  • Is it marketing BS to make be buy a pair of tyres when one wear out? (It won't work :lol:)

Are you sure that this doesn't denote direction of rotation? There should be an arrow that's adjacent to the front/rear marking showing the proper mounting direction.

I just noticed today when I got back from my ride that my bike has different tyres front and back. They're an asymmetrical pair - same brand/model etc - but marked "front" and "rear" - rather than 2 completely different brands of tyre.

There's no obvious difference between them - so what gives?
  • Does the rear one have thicker/stiffer walls to account for more of my lardy *** loading the rear more than the front?
  • Is the tread pattern different? (with a superficial glance the tread on both looks the same)
  • Is it marketing BS to make be buy a pair of tyres when one wear out? (It won't work :lol:)

Ok, so front/rear specific tyres are pretty normal in the bike trade. This is because the main function of the rear tyre is acceleration, whereas the front usually deals with steering.

Depending on the tyres in question some will be marketing BS, some will have different tread patters and some will have other differences.

Tell me which brand and model you have, then I'll do some digging. :wink:

My specialized had two different tires, same brand.
The tread was different, noticeably so.
Currently I have matching sets, but on the sidewall, they show arrows for rotation for front mount, and rear (opposite)

My thinking is the most grippy direction on the rear is meant to help with power transfer to the ground, while it is reversed on the front to aid in breaking.

99% of riders won't notice a difference.

I just went and took a closer look - the pattern is subtly different - and according to the tread gauge about 1.2mm deeper on the rear :smile: as well as having a pattern that I'd guess was more apt to dig in to soft terrain.

You're all backed up by the opening paragraph of this page too... given my level of commitment it's probably mostly BS, because I'm definitely no Lance Armstrong (or whoever his MTB analogue is) :lol:

Off road typically has two different size tires, but I've never seen anything specifically denoting a "front" and "rear". On my road bikes I've always used identical tires.

The mountain bike has a smaller tire on the rear to allow higher PSI to support more weight.

What tire is is specifically? WTB and Kenda do that with a few of their tires.

It is pretty common practice to run different tires and treads front and rear on MTBs.

Ah, mountain bikes...a topic about which I'm not labeled 'newbie'!

Typically different tires front and rear are common practice, as noted already. Usually it works out for a better riding experience, but you have to really push the bike to notice the benefits.

Thanks all for the answers and pointers - there was something else bike-related I was going to ask about, but I can't remember what it was now :rolleyes:

I've remembered... This is my first time on a bike and wearing a helmet (last time I was riding a bike before, helmets were unheard of outside velodromes and only wowsers wore them) - being somewhat out of shape (apart from Bibendum look-a-like competitions, I'm hot to trot for those :biggrin:) I'm perspiring a fair bit and I now have what can only be described as a "sweaty helmet" :eek: the smell (particularly when it warms up) is really quite disgusting

Are there any wonder cures or recommended washing agents that won't (a) damage the helmet and (b) give me a rash?

I have yet to discover a way to get rid of the funk that sets in from protective equipment. MY kneepads at work smell like death, even after a spin in the washing machine.

Perhaps a head covering under the helmet.

I personally never wear them though.

Indeed, my front and rear tires, though they are a matched set, they are quite different. on the rear the tread is designed optimally for forward/rearward traction, as it is the the tire needed to dig when 'accelerating' up steep hills, etc... the front tire's tread is arranged for more 'lateral' traction, so that the front tire will bite under the lateral forces of cornering...

paddleboat vs rudder type of thing :)

try body soap on the helmet. They are made to remove body odors, and I know they work on sandals sometimes. I'm not thoroughly convinced it will work, but it may be worth a shot. Personally, I just deal with the smell. If you ride fast enough the wind will keep it behind you :biggrin:.

I have yet to discover a way to get rid of the funk that sets in from protective equipment. MY kneepads at work smell like death, even after a spin in the washing machine.

Perhaps a head covering under the helmet.

I personally never wear them though.
Toss them in the washer or handwash with a bit of vinegar and soap. I clean my helmet pads that way. Soak kneepads in the sink in a solution of vinegar and soap. Vinegar will kill the funky smell on jerseys and bike shorts as well. Most all the guys I ride with do the same.

Last edited:
I've got two Treks, different kinds, and the Cruiser has the same front and back, but the my Hybrid has slightly diffferent tread in the back. I have never noticed it before.

Top Bottom