What's new

Attention Darwin Razor Owners

I remember 5 years back when the proprietor started using the Darwin name. I bought some of the Darwin aftershave in a cut glass container and later some shaving soap in a vintage sugar bowl. Each purchase came with a handwritten thankyou note and a piece of French candy. Class act. Glad he is still in business.

'Darwin De-Luxe'

-This one is for the 'Darwin' connoisseurs since both the case and razor are special.

-Pay attention to the lack of any markings on the razor handle and especially the top cap/guard(indicate pre-patent manufacture). This is something we have only seen on the 'Prototype'-model(X1). That being said the pins comes through the head which so far is a trait for some of later models.

-Another aspect is the case. As shown this earlier model came in a case where the pattern on the outside isn't the normal "Greek key", but instead a "leafed vine"-design.

-The razor didn't need much attention, but the case was quite dirty inside. It cleaned up very well though.

-As the pictures shows this early model has more square lines/edges which is a cool design too. In regards to the handle it actually makes a difference and gives a better grip although I never had problems with that like others.

-Another interesting aspect is the weight difference. I have compared it to my two other Darwin 'De-Luxe'-razors and of course the thinner head explains some of it, but 14g is for sure noticeable.

-Pretty cool set with the special case, razor, blade holder and blades 👌🏼

-For anyone interested in geeking a bit about the models take a look here:

Identifying your vintage Darwin razor - https://darwinshaving.com/en/the-collection/identifying-your-vintage-darwin-razor/

IMG_2468.jpeg
IMG_2469.jpeg
IMG_2470.jpeg
IMG_2471.jpeg
IMG_2484.jpeg
IMG_2485.jpeg
IMG_2474.jpeg
IMG_2483.jpeg

'Darwin De-Luxe'

-This one is for the 'Darwin' connoisseurs since both the case and razor are special.

-Pay attention to the lack of any markings on the razor handle and especially the top cap/guard(indicate pre-patent manufacture). This is something we have only seen on the 'Prototype'-model(X1). That being said the pins comes through the head which so far is a trait for some of later models.

-Another aspect is the case. As shown this earlier model came in a case where the pattern on the outside isn't the normal "Greek key", but instead a "leafed vine"-design.

-The razor didn't need much attention, but the case was quite dirty inside. It cleaned up very well though.

-As the pictures shows this early model has more square lines/edges which is a cool design too. In regards to the handle it actually makes a difference and gives a better grip although I never had problems with that like others.

-Another interesting aspect is the weight difference. I have compared it to my two other Darwin 'De-Luxe'-razors and of course the thinner head explains some of it, but 14g is for sure noticeable.

-Pretty cool set with the special case, razor, blade holder and blades 👌🏼

-For anyone interested in geeking a bit about the models take a look here:

Identifying your vintage Darwin razor - https://darwinshaving.com/en/the-collection/identifying-your-vintage-darwin-razor/

View attachment 1619707View attachment 1619708View attachment 1619709View attachment 1619710View attachment 1619711View attachment 1619712View attachment 1619713View attachment 1619714
Great addition. Where did you find it?

Prolly true, but I found one in the wild at an antique store.
Sure everything is possible, but finding one in antique store, flee market or garage sale outside of UK seems to be almost impossible, but it do happen once in a while in the UK.

Again I'm living in the wrong country 🙂

This might seem a little silly but I see other threads trying to get a count of how many people own a certain type of rare razor. I would like to get a definitive count of the Darwin razor owners and which model you own here on B&B. If I misspelled your name or you know longer own it, I apologize and please correct me. My reason for doing this is to figure out how many there actually are and if anyone knows anything else about the history of this razor. Details about this company and it's razors are so hard to come by.

Off the top of my head besides myself (I own a Darwin Deluxe), there are:

MementoMori
Intrigued
Haiku
TheRazorSleepsForNoOne
Barefoot Joe (his razor is enroute)
GreginDallas (not sure though as I believe he moved on to straights)

There have to be more owners than that. Surely this company didn't produce 20 razors and go out of business. :001_smile I have become increasingly fascinated with this razor as it is the best shaving instrument I have ever used. I am sure some of you have seen me singing its' praises before and I have said I am trying not to love it as much as I do due to my SE collection (and 10 year SE blade stash) but I shaved with it this morning and had my best shave ever.

Ultimately, I will be doing more experimenting with the razors that I do own but I am pretty sure that my RAD is probably dead and I will make a decision on liquidating most of my small collection. I do love my Ever Ready Streamline too so I may keep that as my razor during my work week (using my Darwin on the weekends) until I exhaust my SE blades and then I would sell them off. Or I may like the Darwin Deluxe so much, I liquidate the collection soon! You never know. :w00t:

In advance, thank you for your participation in this thread.
I own a Darwin Deluxe, weighing in at 77 grams, model #X6 and it’s in mint shape.

Attachments

• 14F45C3D-16B0-4194-B7E3-53C1F734FA6E.jpeg
    14F45C3D-16B0-4194-B7E3-53C1F734FA6E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
An explanation of the weight difference can be found in the materials as well, cobalt steel is heavier than regular stainless. In many Deluxe models, cobalt is not used for all parts of the razor (many are found with cobalt head but stainless handle). A simple test can be done with a magnet : if the piece sticks to the magnet, it's cobalt. If the part doesn't react to the magnet, then it's stainless.

A beautiful addition, Mikkel !

R

romsitsa

An explanation of the weight difference can be found in the materials as well, cobalt steel is heavier than regular stainless. In many Deluxe models, cobalt is not used for all parts of the razor (many are found with cobalt head but stainless handle). A simple test can be done with a magnet : if the piece sticks to the magnet, it's cobalt. If the part doesn't react to the magnet, then it's stainless.

It also helps that the handles have completely different proportions.

Mine has a cobalt head with stainless handle.

Interesting I will for sure try that tip on all 3 of my Darwin razors and see what I find 👍🏼
It also helps that the handles have completely different proportions.
Of course and clearly the heavier model also looks quite a bit thicker. I guess I just got surprised that the relative small differences adds up to 14g.

Here's my cobalt Darwin Deluxe, an X6 version. It has the Darwin logo on both sides of the cap, although both are faint. Prices are all over the place, aren't they? Many talk about how pricey these are becoming yet one sold on Ebay a few months ago for just under $400 US! Not exactly like finding one in the wild but its good to see someone got a deal.

Darwin Deluxe Razor, Sheffield, England, cobalt steel 1.JPGDarwin Deluxe Razor, Sheffield, England, cobalt steel 4.JPGDarwin Deluxe Razor, Sheffield, England, cobalt steel 5.JPGDarwin Deluxe Razor, Sheffield, England, cobalt steel 7.JPGDarwin Deluxe Razor, Sheffield, England, cobalt steel 10.JPGDarwin Deluxe Razor, Sheffield, England, cobalt steel 11.JPG

Here's my cobalt Darwin Deluxe, an X6 version. It has the Darwin logo on both sides of the cap, although both are faint. Prices are all over the place, aren't they? Many talk about how pricey these are becoming yet one sold on Ebay a few months ago for just under $400 US! Not exactly like finding one in the wild but its good to see someone got a deal.

View attachment 1629159View attachment 1629160View attachment 1629161View attachment 1629162View attachment 1629163View attachment 1629164
Nice specimen 👌🏼

Top Bottom