What's new

Attention Darwin Razor Owners

Old thread , new comment .....maybe.... The add I attached is
The American Magazine
Volume 102
1926, is the blade pictured for the Darwin proprietary variant head ?
Screenshot 2022-04-08 184701.jpg

Here's a thread about an uncommon Darwin variant that takes proprietary blades:

Darwin comparison pics: Connie's Darwin Standard versus my "weirdo" Darwin - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/306886-Darwin-comparison-pics-Connie-s-Darwin-Standard-versus-my-quot-weirdo-quot-Darwin

And here are some photos from that thread:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I noticed that the very side notches on a regular DE blade make a tight fit with the "bar" on this Darwin cap, so a few snips from the blade:

proxy.php

proxy.php

was all it took to load a blade and shave with this one. The Deluxe has some pretty stiff competition here.

proxy.php

Darwin Add , 1938 ..... No mention of razors. I presume it is the same Darwin. Currently for sale on that popular web site .

Trade Review published in 1938

1938.jpg

One more for giggles: From 1954, looks like a huge pile of razor blades and boxes, but it is not razor blades (Well, I'm pretty sure they are not !). Talking about magnetizing equipment, and I did find a large speaker magnet x 3 for sale with their name and box . It would seem they made many things at various times throughout their history. Saw an article saying one of their properties was sold / possibly being torn down ? in 2018. It referenced 300 total employees in 2018.

Attachments

• Im19541124AE-Darwins.jpg
    Im19541124AE-Darwins.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 10
A Darwin Deluxe cost 15 Schillings in 1930. Adjusted for inflation , that would be 52 pounds or $67.70 US dollars . That was about two days of wages back then. Coupled with the stock market crash of 1929, perhaps that is why we see so few of these razors today . I just bought one for less than $1000 in it's original Deluxe case from the Grand daughter of the original owner . Pictures to follow when it is in my hot , happy hands. The question comes to mind , as it appears to be a "Standard" in a deluxe case , yet I know almost for certain this is it's original case , could it be the "Standard" and "Deluxe" are misnomers and the difference is only different styles of heads manufactured at different times ? I ask, because I can not even see the bottom or pins in the one Standard razor in the 1930 catalog, and is that simply because they are not there , and it is identical to the "deluxe" other than it is "Stainless steel" and the Deluxe is "Cobalt" ???

A Darwin Deluxe cost 15 Schillings in 1930. Adjusted for inflation , that would be 52 pounds or $67.70 US dollars . That was about two days of wages back then. Coupled with the stock market crash of 1929, perhaps that is why we see so few of these razors today . I just bought one for less than $1000 in it's original Deluxe case from the Grand daughter of the original owner . Pictures to follow when it is in my hot , happy hands. The question comes to mind , as it appears to be a "Standard" in a deluxe case , yet I know almost for certain this is it's original case , could it be the "Standard" and "Deluxe" are misnomers and the difference is only different styles of heads manufactured at different times ? I ask, because I can not even see the bottom or pins in the one Standard razor in the 1930 catalog, and is that simply because they are not there , and it is identical to the "deluxe" other than it is "Stainless steel" and the Deluxe is "Cobalt" ???
Definitely post as soon as you receive it. I have a two Standards (one in an original travel case, the other in a rehab travel case that was on Etsy), a Deluxe in its coffin case, and an adjustable in its blue plastic case. Also, the Standards, Deluxes and Adjustable are all Cobalt Steel

I saw that one on the popular site. The owner sent my some photos; I've never seen that variant. If you got it, post some more photos and Congrats!!!!!!!!

The one I purchased is what is being called a "Standard" in it's original "Deluxe" case ..... Case is nice , just missing a snap and the tortoise shell ( what I believe would be celluloid) blade holder. Stay tune in the future: You can buy tortoise shell Celluloid, I may re-create that razor blade holder !

Doing some more online research . If this has been covered or posted, I have not seen any of it . First, from a New York court document ( and having nothing to do with the case ) is a 1935 Manhattan phone book listing Darwin Razor Blade Corporation at 1133 Bway (Broadway) with a Phone number of CHelsea 3-1620.

AUG 23 1935 TELEPHONE BOOK.jpg

Secondly , From a 1935 Patent / Trademark listing book is the listing for Darwin Razor Corporation of Cincinnati, Ohio for the term and logo "COLBALT BLUE" having been used since July 5, 1933.

PATENT BOOK 1935.jpg

Thirdly, Here is the actual Trade Mark registration page from August 21,1934.

Aug 21 1934.jpg

From "The Collected Works of Lawrence of Arabia" (Unabridged) we have this little jewel of a blurb dated February 21, 1928 by T.E. Lawrence himself :

There's a thing you might send me, after you get back. Bob could find them at any shop. Some DARWIN razor blades, for a GILLETTE razor. I brought out enough to last me for three years: now I'd better have a reserve: say four dozen more.

Gentlemen, though he was shaving with a Gillette, he had his favorite blades it seems !

In Hardware Age Magazine, Volume 146, Issues 7-13, 1940, we find this question being asked with an answer giving the 1940 address for Darwin Razor Corporation in New York as 254 W. 31st Street, New York, NY . Still importing blades to the USA in 1940, or existing on stock on hand ???

Screenshot 2022-04-10 013404.jpg

In my opinion, basically, Deluxe is cobalt with studs going up, Standard is standard steel with pins going down. If you find a Standard in a Deluxe case (which can be original), there are several possibilities. Maybe the first buyer prefered this razor with that case and the seller obliged, maybe the buyer first had a deluxe, broke it somehow and replaced it with a standard he put in a Deluxe case, etc... Both models were manufactured at the same time, as the 1930s catalog shows. Surely the Deluxe was there before the Standard, as the Cobalt was their main argument so they started with this.
The catalog doesnt show the underneath of the Standard head, but it shows the top with only the screw going up, there are no signs of pins. So far, statistics / findings are quite clear : Deluxe is cobalt with studs going up, Standard is standard steel with pins going down.

To continue my precedent message, copierguy has done an impressive work in detailing the different little variants found in the steel models, his work was put on Darwin's website, to help identify Darwin razors :

Other infos will be added there in the coming weeks !

To continue my precedent message, copierguy has done an impressive work in detailing the different little variants found in the steel models, his work was put on Darwin's website, to help identify Darwin razors :

Other infos will be added there in the coming weeks !
Thanks for the website info.

Well, it showed up today and I was not disappointed. This has been in the seller's family supposedly from Day 1. Her relative was a Mayor of a large Mid-Atlantic City, this was her Grandfathers , or possibly even her Great Grandfathers, their dates of birth and death show it could have been either of them . Her Grandfather was born in 1912.

This was on Mercari with 5 watchers, me being one of them. The seller specifically did not want this to be sold to a reseller , and I got into a lengthy dialog with her , realized it was the real deal , made her an offer , and bought it. Not sorry I spent just under $1000. I will treasure it and her family history that goes with it .There's several pictures of her Grandmother with several Presidents, so I feel honored I am now the caretaker and lucky to have record of it's family provenance.

I told my son ( who is 6) , "Someday this will be yours Son" to which he replied "Cool Dad, but can I have the case now, it looks like a coffin!!".......lol.... Too much Addams Family and Halloween for that boy.......... :D

By the way, my camera is horrible, there is fogging inside the lens... the case looks so much better in your hands than in the pictures....

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG

If someone could post a picture of the inside of the Female part of the snap that is missing off my case in the pictures above, I would really appreciate it . I would like to search out a source for NOS or replacement female snaps if I can ........ I know their are a few of us that could benefit from that if wanted . Also, I would think the blade safes / Case are celluloid, not plastic . Celluloid has a distinct camphor like smell. It also degrades sadly . Could be they were Bakelite maybe . Possibly plastic. If anyone could figure that out I would appreciate it . You can purchase Celluloid in a thick enough variety for guitar pick guards and I may try to make one , as ground up celluloid and acetone will work as glue I have read, amongst other things. Thanks !

Last edited:
Awesome, congrats! Looks just like my set! The blade holder I never saw in real life, but as a second best solution consider to look around for blades. They are to be found and look cool with the set.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
If someone could post a picture of the inside of the Female part of the snap that is missing off my case in the pictures above, I would really appreciate it . I would like to search out a source for NOS or replacement female snaps if I can ........ I know their are a few of us that could benefit from that if wanted . Also, I would think the blade safes / Case are celluloid, not plastic . Celluloid has a distinct camphor like smell. It also degrades sadly . Could be they were Bakelite maybe . Possibly plastic. If anyone could figure that out I would appreciate it . You can purchase Celluloid in a thick enough variety for guitar pick guards and I may try to make one , as ground up celluloid and acetone will work as glue I have read, amongst other things. Thanks !

I think a NOS snap would be nearly impossible to find that isn't attached to a case but here's a what it looks like.

IMG_0166.jpeg

IMG_0172.jpeg

IMG_0170.jpeg

Here are a couple of pictures of the blade cases. As far as what they're made out of, I don't know. They are glued up out of three pieces and the only thing they smell like is "old". :confused1
IMG_5221.jpg
IMG_5222.jpg

Top Bottom