What's new

ATT Copper

The site now has pretty decent explanations now on the product / base plate pages, at least in terms of what constitutes mild versus aggressive. But yeah, it's not particularly intuitive.

Anybody have any issues with their ATT copper? I just got this today and did the usual disinfection of spraying with alcohol isopropyl and it went from being super shiny to having a layer of what seems to be clear coat coming off??
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

I was told not to put the copper in alcohol as it would strip the clearcoat off. Looks like that's what happened.

Well shoot. That sucks. Would it be better to remove the clear coat? Is it possible to recoat it?

Fayiz D.

Not sure, but I guess you could if you have the means to do so. Maybe contact ATT and see what they suggest. Manda is a great contact and super helpful. You could always strip it and let it patina.

Not sure, but I guess you could if you have the means to do so. Maybe contact ATT and see what they suggest. Manda is a great contact and super helpful. You could always strip it and let it patina.
This is pretty disappointing. I guess I should have asked if alcohol is fine but I've cleaned hundreds of razors with alcohol without issue. Thanks for the help. Just emailed them. Will probably have to try to buy another base plate if they still have one. I'd rather not have a patinad baseplate since that makes contact with skin and such.

Fayiz D.

I guess if the clear coat comes off I can just keep it polished with polishing like flitz

Fayiz D.

I'm a huge ATT fanboy i admit. To me they're outstanding and I love everything about them - looks, performance, price range, AVAILABILITY. I don't even look at anything else, no need to.

Long live Above the Tie and may they carry on for many years in the industry.

I'm a huge ATT fanboy i admit. To me they're outstanding and I love everything about them - looks, performance, price range, AVAILABILITY. I don't even look at anything else, no need to.

Long live Above the Tie and may they carry on for many years in the industry.
That's too bad. I bought the copper H plate this year. Its beautiful. I had no idea it was clear coated.
I ended up buying another one because I love the clean polished look but I'll also play around with this one to see what color patina i can get

Fayiz D.

Looks good. Glad you were able to get another plate. I have the CR1 and CM1 that I pair with the polished stainless Windors top cap and Kronos handle. I really like the mixed metal look.....plus the CR1 plate shaves excellent. The CM1 plate is too mild.
Thanks. Now I'll have one that will patina and one that won't. I loved the shave last night so it was a no brainer. I also have a polished Windsor pro top cap. I currently have it paired with my polished stirling handle and love the look

Fayiz D.

Looks good. Glad you were able to get another plate. I have the CR1 and CM1 that I pair with the polished stainless Windors top cap and Kronos handle. I really like the mixed metal look.....plus the CR1 plate shaves excellent. The CM1 plate is too mild.
Thanks. Now I'll have one that will patina and one that won't. I loved the shave last night so it was a no brainer. I also have a polished Windsor pro top cap. I currently have it paired with my polished stirling handle and love the look

Fayiz D.

Alright fellas. I took the acetone and removed the clear coat them polished with a metal polish. Nice and clean again. Let's see how it patinas.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Fayiz D.
How long did you let it sit in acetone to remove the clear coat? Looks great polished. Would love to see an update of the patina it has now if you stopped polishing it for the last 5 months.

Top Bottom