What's new

Atra Cartridges that don't fit TracII?

Background: I recently bought one of the PII TracII handles, 1) as a curiosity since it's the one era of Gillette handle I don't have, and 2) because I plan to use it for airline travel.

When it came, I dug out all the old Atra cartridges my dad gave me some time ago when he was cleaning out his bathroom cupboard, having since gone electric.

Which leads to my question: I was under the impression that Atra and Trac II were highly cartridge-interchangeable, with the difference being pivot vs slide fit. However, these cartridges seem incompatible, as they lack a "channel" to run the handle through.

Was there some point in which Gillette ceased to make them interchangeable? For info, the plastic cartridge holsters are all labeled Atra, the cartridges themselves are all indeed Gillette brand, and there is no lube strip.

Last edited:
I shaved with them for a long time. Started with the Trac II in high school and then swapped over to the Atra at some point. Still use both of them today for headshaves. I rarely bought the Gillette version of cartridges because you could find them much cheaper (like $2 for 10) under the Family Dollar and Dollar General brand back in the day. Those definitely did not fit both. They had separate packages for each.

I buy all of my carts now from Amazon or Ebay. Seems like they're Personna carts. Packs of 100 for around $20. They fit both razors.

They were never interchangeable. The Schick and Personna twin carts are depending on the actual version...

I see. I do have an Atra handle as well so it’s no issue, I just wanted to set myself straight. I somehow had the clearly mistaken impression Gillettes were like the Personna twins that could be mated to either. Thanks for clarifying.

Top Bottom